PDA

View Full Version : replacement question

grobbins6
07-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi all-

We just moved to a new house (as you may remember from other posts) and I am still trying to square away the existing system.

I have searched here but did not find anything and have contacted Hunter through their web site but have not heard back from them yet. I am sure they will at some point but even still I am wondering what your thoughts are....

The system was installed in 1998 and consists of about half PGP and half PGM spread over 5 zones (there is a single spray head). There are two heads I need to replace and one is a Toro v1550 that I assume the previous owner installed as a replacement. I learned from reading here that even if I could find a v1550 I do not want to use it so my question is...how do I figure out what to replace it with? I would say PGP because that's what the other are in that zone but they don't make them any more.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike Leary
07-16-2008, 06:07 PM
They still make PGPs & short-throw rotars, like the PGM. Call the local supply house.

Waterit
07-16-2008, 06:09 PM
short-throw rotars

Freudian slip?

Mike Leary
07-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Freudian slip?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

grobbins6
07-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Update...Hunter did get back to me and this was their response...

"I am not familiar with the Toro product to know what replacement would match. Contact Technical Service if you have questions or comments regarding Hunter products. "

...quite helpful. :rolleyes:

grobbins6
07-16-2008, 06:19 PM
They still make PGPs & short-throw rotars, like the PGM. Call the local supply house.

My mistake...I keep getting my pg's confused! Thanks for the correction.

Do I have to select a nozzle and if so what is a good resource for figuring out how?

Wet_Boots
07-16-2008, 06:23 PM
It happens that the old V-1550s should have an arrow on the cover telling you what their gpm is. Work from there.

Mike Leary
07-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Measure to the next head & look at the sheet that comes with the heads, that will get
you started for what nozzle you need. You want "head to head" coverage.
Or look on-line for Hunter PGP & other Hunter heads, it'll have nozzle charts.

JimLewis
07-17-2008, 04:25 AM
I learned from reading here that even if I could find a v1550 I do not want to use it so my question is...how do I figure out what to replace it with? I would say PGP because that's what the other are in that zone but they don't make them any more.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Who told you they don't make the PGP anymore? Admittedly, I don't install much Hunter stuff anymore. We are almost all Rain Bird. But I am pretty sure they still make the PGP unless something's changed in the last few months. I'm 99% sure I still see it at all my suppliers in town.

I think you're misinformed. If you want to stay with all one brand, use the PGP if that's what the other zones have. And if you want to step it up a notch, use Rain Bird 5004 Plus PRS Rotors with the MPR Nozzles inside them. That's about as good as you can get with rotors, IMHO. Beats the PGP hands down. But I warn you, if you do this, you'll want to change out ALL your zones.

DanaMac
07-17-2008, 09:10 AM
PGPs are still made. PGMs are not. They have been replaced by the PGJ. Personally, I hate the PGM and the PGJ. PGM was bad in reliability, and I do not like the coverage of the PGJ. BOTH of those issues are happening with the RB 3500 which is also a mini rotor. I don't stock any mini rotors at all anymore. 5004 with low angle nozzle if necessary.

Waterit
07-17-2008, 09:19 AM
PGPs are still made. PGMs are not. They have been replaced by the PGJ. Personally, I hate the PGM and the PGJ. PGM was bad in reliability, and I do not like the coverage of the PGJ. BOTH of those issues are happening with the RB 3500 which is also a mini rotor. I don't stock any mini rotors at all anymore. 5004 with low angle nozzle if necessary.

Mini rotor = MP Rotator

grobbins6
07-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks very much for all the responses.

As I noted after Mike Leary called me out; I got my PG's confused. My bad.

You were right on the money WB...there is an arrow pointing at about 6.5 gpm on the Toro head. With that, measuring the spacing and the charts ML referenced, I should be able to figure it out.

And I will look into the 5004. Question though...why will I want to swap out everything? Is it a matter of noticeably improved performance or compatibility issues?

We have a Stateline Irrigation, a Sprinkler House and a JDL nearby (south shore of Mass). From doing some research it seems that JDL can be a really good or really bad experience depending on where you are. Any comments on the others?

For the record - I understand and respect the fact that you guys are pros that do this for a living. As a proud and fairly competent homeowner (that is on a budget) I like to do as much as I can myself but I have no problem using a local guy for the stuff that is out of my league. I like to think that swapping out a head is something I can handle! :weightlifter:

JimLewis
07-17-2008, 01:25 PM
And I will look into the 5004. Question though...why will I want to swap out everything? Is it a matter of noticeably improved performance or compatibility issues?

You'd be using less water with the 5004 PRS is the main thing. Depending on what your water pressure is, a PRS head can save you up to 30% water savings. And with the MPR nozzles in them, they are even more efficient. So it would just mean you would be able to get the same results with shorter run times. Also, I think the 5000 series RB rotors are about one of the best designed and reliable rotors around.

But take this all with a grain of salt. This is coming from a guy who is sold out to Rain Bird and I'm getting fairly technical. Your Hunter rotors would do fine.

We have a Stateline Irrigation, a Sprinkler House and a JDL nearby (south shore of Mass). From doing some research it seems that JDL can be a really good or really bad experience depending on where you are. Any comments on the others?
You can get the same parts at pretty much any irritation supply distributor. The one thing that can be tricky is trying to buy as a homeowner. Some distributors sell to homeowners, others will not.

As far as supplying you with the product, all distributors should be fine. What I don't like it getting advice from the supply houses. They are VERY skewed on their advice depending on which brand they are "married" to. And even within the same company, different branches will be "married" to different brands. For instance, Horizon is one of the biggest suppliers on the west coast. And they will always push Hunter stuff on you all day long - even if another brand would be better - because they get a LOT better profit margin from Hunter. They have an alliance with Hunter, kind of. Other times, you'll go into a supplier and all they will do is try to push Rain Bird stuff on you all day - because they get a better profit with Rain Bird. That's the stuff I don't like. So don't trust their advice. Do your own research. But as for buying supplies, they should all be fine.

bcg
07-17-2008, 01:29 PM
What's important is that you match the precipitation rates and diameter of the rest of the zone. The Toro that doesn't match the rest of the system is probably somethign that someone just stuck in not knowing any better. I would not go by the GPM on that head but rather look at the nozzles for the rest of the zone and figure out what the GPM is on those, then replace with a PGP using the same nozzle as the rest of the zone.

AI Inc
07-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Stateline is real good . I deal with their main location in Tyngsboro. Not to sure on how good their satelite locations are.

grobbins6
08-22-2008, 05:26 PM
A photo for anyone that might be interested....this is the head that needs to be replaced.

I have been making an inventory of all my heads and nozzles and measuring the spacing to help me determine what to replace the head with (it is the lone Toro among PGP's).

Speaking of nozzles, do the numbers read upside down or right side up? I can't tell between 9's and 6's becuase the 3's and 5's that I found don't match direction.

Thanks for all the previous posts and sorry it took so long to reply. I have had a lot of other stuff to deal with and am just getting back to this now.

Wet_Boots
08-22-2008, 06:24 PM
If you had a number of those heads, and was ambitious, you could try to replace the seal, since the actual mechanism may be perfectly functional. Otherwise, just change the head.

Mike Leary
08-22-2008, 06:58 PM
If you had a number of those heads, and was ambitious, you could try to replace the seal, since the actual mechanism may be perfectly functional.

Remove the little dear and go with a 6" gear-drive.

Wet_Boots
08-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Remove the little dear and go with a 6" gear-drive.In your dreams, Prozac Boy. :) People in the Northeast actually like lawns cut short enough for a 3-inch popup to clear.

Mike Leary
08-22-2008, 07:31 PM
People in the Northeast actually like lawns cut short enough for a 3-inch popup to clear.

I used to, we'd double mow with a 12 blade reel; killer. When rotarys came
out & schlock got in to mowing, the turf got higher & crappier. Easy there, Kiril.

Wet_Boots
08-22-2008, 07:47 PM
At some point, we'll give up cutting, and call it pasture.

Mike Leary
08-22-2008, 07:55 PM
At some point, we'll give up cutting, and call it pasture.

Goats and sheep, what is this country coming to?

Kiril
08-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Guess that is why you guys are irrigators only :rolleyes:

Wet_Boots
08-23-2008, 10:03 AM
No, we're irritators. :p

grobbins6
08-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Speaking of nozzles, do the numbers read upside down or right side up? I can't tell between 9's and 6's becuase the 3's and 5's that I found don't match direction.

Bump...hopefully this is not a completely inane question...

Wet_Boots
08-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Your secret clue of the day is that a #9 nozzle is larger than a #6

grobbins6
08-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Your secret clue of the day is that a #9 nozzle is larger than a #6

Excellent point....thank you! Now to see what I can uncover next!

sprinklerchris
08-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Update...Hunter did get back to me and this was their response...

"I am not familiar with the Toro product to know what replacement would match. Contact Technical Service if you have questions or comments regarding Hunter products. "

...quite helpful. :rolleyes:

I have found Hunter's technical support has declined in quality. They went from knowledgeable people to phone jockeys. :hammerhead:

AI Inc
08-28-2008, 10:50 AM
I have found Hunter's technical support has declined in quality. They went from knowledgeable people to phone jockeys. :hammerhead:

Last time I called then was to find out if a remote would work on a 1996 ( pre remote era) src. There answer was " try it , and let us know"

WalkGood
08-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Last time I called then was to find out if a remote would work on a 1996 ( pre remote era) src. There answer was " try it , and let us know"

Did the guy say his name was "Ravendra Bhupinder Nidal" but said to call him Robby?

:rolleyes:

bicmudpuppy
08-28-2008, 06:32 PM

It is all tech help at all levels. I called Toro NSN help line the other day about my Site Pro software (Access is a subscriber service and not cheap). My question...........how many programs can I have? The system had 18 when I got here, at the time of the call, I had increased it/spit those into over 70. The answer............."either 99 or 999, I'm not sure!!!". WTF over? You don't know if your computer software supports 100 or 1000 programs?