PDA

View Full Version : a Mike M bulb q

Mike M
07-16-2008, 08:59 PM
What's the deal with the open style bulb I see in the field (no cover lense)? Is there a benefit to this?

Also, I thought it would be great if people specified their go-to bulbs of choice, especially for their MR-16. Including most used manu, model, hour-life, wattages, and beam spreads.

Thanks!

irrig8r
07-16-2008, 10:36 PM
If you're talking about MR-16s w/ no cover, but within a closed fixture... what would be the benefit of a covered lens?

Mike M
07-17-2008, 04:50 PM
If you're talking about MR-16s w/ no cover, but within a closed fixture... what would be the benefit of a covered lens?

I dunno.

I thought I'd ask you.

I could speculate the added protection from condensation, which gets inside fixtures because of the air that gets pumped in and out from the heat fluctuations. Or, maybe the covered bulb is better where hot humid air takes off the mirror finish?

irrig8r
07-17-2008, 08:00 PM
But the cover has little vents in it...
The only advantage I can see is not touching the lamp bu with clumsy fingers...

But if anyone else can enlighten us...?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-17-2008, 11:16 PM
The covered glass MR16 lamp was developed for open fixtures like track heads where there must be a glass lens between the room and the lamp capsule.

Some guys like using the CG lamps in LV outdoor lighting applications because it does tend to inhibit debris from accumulating on the reflector of the lamp, esp. in uplighting applications. I used CG lamps exclusively for a few years but found that lamp life seemed to suffer when compared to the open MR16s. (no I dont have hard data on this, just experience) Now I only would use a CG lamp in a substandard fixture in an uplighting application. By using top quality fixtures, like those with IP ratings, you shouldn't have dust or moisture issues inside the fixtures.

As for fav. lamps. The GE Constant Colour line is my Halogen lamp line of choice. Outdoors, Interiors, Display... they pretty much are the perfect MR16 Halogen Lamp.

Regards.

Litewerks Expert Lighting
07-18-2008, 07:31 PM
ahh a little trick with mr-16's that you may already know. If you do happen to use the mr-16's with the glass try coloring them with a blue,red, or green sharpie for the holiday season. this is a nice touch and works well.

Mike M
07-18-2008, 07:44 PM
That's was a pretty good explanation. Thanks, James.

Gregg, you're gonna make me get off the floor (my elbows are killing in front of this lap top anyways) and go look at the vents in my Ushios. It makes sense. Air expands and contracts, not like vacuums. So the glass cover is just to protect the actual inner bulb from physical intrusion, like fingers and debris.

So I guess it seems redundant to use covered bulbs inside our covered uplight bullets.

Well, if the covered bulb is vented, would it matter if we use the open bulbs in the open fixtures, too (tree lights, etc.)?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Well, if the covered bulb is vented, would it matter if we use the open bulbs in the open fixtures, too (tree lights, etc.)?

If you are using completely open fixtures with no screen between the lamp and the object then I believe you are supposed to use the CG lamps. The CG protects people from a lamp capsule exploding.

If you use an fixture that has a screen between the lamp and the object, like some Kichler fixtures for instance, then you don't necessarily have to use a CG lamp. Where it might come in handy though is protecting the lamp capsule from bugs, dust, etc.

Around here, open style fixtures are a no-go. Condensation from rapidly changing evening temperatures and high humidity result in poor lamp and socket performance over time. Insects are also a nuisance.

IP rated fixtures are cool...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

David Gretzmier
07-20-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm a covered glass mr-16 guy. I get at least a year of life out of them, so I'm happy. In the event of water intruding into fixtures, the glass lens is a plus. Kind of a belt and suspenders thing. also, many glass lens mr-16's are UV filtered, so better on curtains and the like getting through windows. the final plus is you know that employees cannot touch the surface of the halogen bulb. all those benefits add up to an easy decision for me.