PDA

View Full Version : Super chip for towing MPG Increase

pasto_guy
07-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm actually on vacation and was talking to a guy that installed one of these chips. His is on a dodge cummins that he uses to tow his fifth wheel camper. He said that it has improved his diesel mpg enough to pay for itself in one trip to the beach. (900 miles total). Do any of you guys use anything like this for your trucks and is it worth the money. How about the life of the truck. thanks.

TXNSLighting
07-17-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm actually on vacation and was talking to a guy that installed one of these chips. His is on a dodge cummins that he uses to tow his fifth wheel camper. He said that it has improved his diesel mpg enough to pay for itself in one trip to the beach. (900 miles total). Do any of you guys use anything like this for your trucks and is it worth the money. How about the life of the truck. thanks.

Thats a big BS!!!

mybowtie
07-17-2008, 11:14 PM
What yr is your truck?? With the new diesels you run the risk of voiding your wrnty. Hard to belive he saved $400+ in 900 miles.:usflag:

fool32696
07-17-2008, 11:23 PM
I picked up 1 to 2 mpg with my Edge for the Duramax. I paid $400 for it. I didn't buy it for the mileage gains, but it's probably paid for itself in the 15000 miles that I've been running it (no way in 900mi).

lawnspecialties
07-17-2008, 11:37 PM
I bought a SuperChips Flashpaq from my Ford dealer for my '05 6.0. In economy mode, it did OK but I loved the throttle response. In tow safe, I liked the power but the Torqueshift transmission seemed confused in city driving. Constant up and down shifting around 45 mph. I finally went back to stock mode. I don't even know where I last saw my Flashpaq. :confused:

To me, not enough difference to try to make up $400.

GravelyNut
07-18-2008, 01:24 AM
Thats a big BS!!!
A $400 savings in 900 miles. That would be about a savings of 80 gallons @ $5 per gallon in 900 miles or a little more than 1/10th of a gallon per mile. If he was getting 10 mpg, then he would have been burning 1/10th of a gallon per mile. That would mean that he drove the truck and used no fuel. Unpossible!!!! At 5 mpg he would have been burning 2/10ths of a gallon per mile. To save the 10th of a gallon, he would to have doubled his mpg. Not very likely. And if he was using a Diesel and only getting 5 mpg to start, he'd have been better off with a gas engine to save some money on fuel.

TXNSLighting
07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
A $400 savings in 900 miles. That would be about a savings of 80 gallons @ $5 per gallon in 900 miles or a little more than 1/10th of a gallon per mile. If he was getting 10 mpg, then he would have been burning 1/10th of a gallon per mile. That would mean that he drove the truck and used no fuel. Unpossible!!!! At 5 mpg he would have been burning 2/10ths of a gallon per mile. To save the 10th of a gallon, he would to have doubled his mpg. Not very likely. And if he was using a Diesel and only getting 5 mpg to start, he'd have been better off with a gas engine to save some money on fuel.

My point exactly. he woulda had to double his mileage to come up with that claim. which is flat BS!!

pasto_guy
07-18-2008, 02:50 PM
I have two 97 f-350's. I had hoped to be able to buy the chips and hopefully save in the long run. But it seems as if everyone thinks it isn't as beneficial as this guy thought it was. Man he must have had a few.

TXNSLighting
07-18-2008, 03:04 PM
they are beneficial if used right. But not that! beneficial. they will most likely get you 1-3 mpgs better.

IA_James
07-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Alot of the people you hear claim huge mileage increases from adding fueling boxes/chips don't actually hand calculate what their fuel mileage is. They just go off what the overhead computer MPG shows. Only problem with that is that the computer no longer knows how much fuel you're throwing to the truck. This is where the guys claiming 25+ MPGs with their Dodges come from.:rolleyes:

fool32696
07-18-2008, 03:31 PM
I hand calculate almost every tank almost every tank on my 02 Duramax 4x4. I went from 12-13 with my 6" lift and 35s to 14-15 (mainly city driving). I can get 17-18 hwy if I try hard. The real difference is the power, not the economy. My truck is an entirely different animal on levels 3 to 5.

SuperDuty335
07-20-2008, 01:10 AM
If you have a Ford 7.3 or 6.0 diesel contact DP Tuner. I have the DP Tuner chip and F5 remote in my 2001 Excursion with stock, 60hp towing, and 80 hp economy settings. We just took a 1000 mile trip and got 22.8 hwy mpg and an overall average of 19.1 combined as compared to 15/18 stock. The power is incredible as well. DP offers a ton of other programs as well including 120hp and 140hp. The F5 has 16 positions to hold all the programs. It's a bargain at $300 +$45 per additional program and customer service is top of the line.

topsites
07-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Thats a big BS!!!

I would have to agree, the chip would have to more than double towing mpg to pay for itself in 900 miles.
Personally I don't see much beyond a 10% maybe 20% increase.
The chip itself is $3-400 but one normally can't just buy a chip and slap it in,
in most cases you have to send them yours so they can re-program it,
which means pulling a working chip out of a running truck...
Then since there exists a small chance of failure the recommended
procedure is to find a spare chip first such as at a junkyard, then send
them the spare.

OR one can buy the machine to reprogram it DIY but that's expensive (couple of g's I think).

Another problem is the chip changes several critical characteristics about the truck which affect things
such as exhaust temperatures and it could also lead to problems such as transmission failure
and what have you, fun stuff.

Last but not least most folks who chip their truck aren't using it for daily towing either,
for most it's not even a daily driver but it's mostly for show.
Which, that's the gist of why I ain't never fooled with it.

slowleak1
07-21-2008, 12:41 PM
If you have a Ford 7.3 or 6.0 diesel contact DP Tuner. I have the DP Tuner chip and F5 remote in my 2001 Excursion with stock, 60hp towing, and 80 hp economy settings. We just took a 1000 mile trip and got 22.8 hwy mpg and an overall average of 19.1 combined as compared to 15/18 stock. The power is incredible as well. DP offers a ton of other programs as well including 120hp and 140hp. The F5 has 16 positions to hold all the programs. It's a bargain at $300 +$45 per additional program and customer service is top of the line.

for fords, DP tuner is one of the best! i run tunes from Diesel Innovations, very awesome tunes also. for 6.0's you want to run sct.

you dodge boys will want smarty

chebby go with EFI live

here is some diesel performance websites for yall

www.cumminsforum.com
www.competitiondiesel.com
www.powerstrokenation.com

that is the best sites to go on for anything diesel, including bone stocks problems that need attention all the way to 1400 hp 12v cummins:dizzy:

if yall register, use slowleak as the referall

and i forgot to mention, Edge, Banks, Bully dog, Superchips, have nothing on these custom tuners. i started off with a superchips, when i went to custom tunes, you couldnt even compare them! if you dont believe me, give them a call. when they say custom tuning, they mena custom!

TXNSLighting
07-21-2008, 12:57 PM
I would have to agree, the chip would have to more than double towing mpg to pay for itself in 900 miles.
Personally I don't see much beyond a 10% maybe 20% increase.
The chip itself is $3-400 but one normally can't just buy a chip and slap it in,
in most cases you have to send them yours so they can re-program it,
which means pulling a working chip out of a running truck...
Then since there exists a small chance of failure the recommended
procedure is to find a spare chip first such as at a junkyard, then send
them the spare.

OR one can buy the machine to reprogram it DIY but that's expensive (couple of g's I think).

Another problem is the chip changes several critical characteristics about the truck which affect things
such as exhaust temperatures and it could also lead to problems such as transmission failure
and what have you, fun stuff.

Last but not least most folks who chip their truck aren't using it for daily towing either,
for most it's not even a daily driver but it's mostly for show.
Which, that's the gist of why I ain't never fooled with it.

You havent had much experience with chips huh? You dont pull anything out of your comp. Theyre all downloaders. If its not a downloader it plugs in under your hood or in the back of your PCM. They cost anywhere from 400 for the superchips to 6 and 700 for the good ones.