PDA

View Full Version : time for new rubber

mike lane lawn care
07-17-2008, 07:23 PM
ok guys, now get your mind out of the gutter.

i'm in need of some new tires for my new truck, the factory ones on it have worn horribly, and it's not due to alignment. I found the tires i want to go with, and they are Firestone Transforce HT. but i don't know how big i can go. my truck is bone stock, and will likely stay that way with the exception of maybe a leveling kit in the front. i currently have 245 sized tires, and can go to 265, but can i go to 285 without having problems with the front tires? i don't want them to rub against anything.

i would appreciate any suggestions on this issue, or if you think there is a better tire for smooth highway towing.

here is a link to the tires i'm getting http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Transforce+HT

thanks guys(and gals)

MOWALLTHETIME
07-17-2008, 08:48 PM
I have 265's mastercraft courser at2 on my 2004 2500 hd I went with the f range 12ply since I am always hauling. I have nearly 40,000 on them and they are still deep in tread I got them mounted balanced with road hazard for right at 800 bucks. I have been really pleased. They do good on pavement, wet or dry and reasonably well off road for an All Terrain tire. most important factor is to keep at least 70lbs in them or they wear faster. my buddy uses the firestone transforce at on his truck and has good luck with them. If you are going to put 285's on your truck you need to get new torsion bar keys and lift the truck up the right way. Do not crank the bars ever ever ever!!!!! The kit cost about 275.00 and it is worth it.

TimsLawnCareVA
07-17-2008, 09:31 PM
I have 265's mastercraft courser at2 on my 2004 2500 hd I went with the f range 12ply since I am always hauling. I have nearly 40,000 on them and they are still deep in tread I got them mounted balanced with road hazard for right at 800 bucks. I have been really pleased. They do good on pavement, wet or dry and reasonably well off road for an All Terrain tire. most important factor is to keep at least 70lbs in them or they wear faster. my buddy uses the firestone transforce at on his truck and has good luck with them. If you are going to put 285's on your truck you need to get new torsion bar keys and lift the truck up the right way. Do not crank the bars ever ever ever!!!!! The kit cost about 275.00 and it is worth it.

First, you got robbed on the tires. I can get those same tires through our shop for less than 100 each. Second, 70 psi is too high on those tires. And last, if you put in the keys you still are cranking up the torsion bars. The keys just let you crank them further. We have been putting the Nitto Dura Grappler on a lot of trucks and everyone seems to love them. Stay away from the Mastercraft. We have had a lot of wear issues with them. Firestone is still an excellent choice. Just remember the number one key to making them last is keeping the correct tire pressure and rotate EVERY oil change.

mybowtie
07-17-2008, 10:09 PM
265's will fit no problem. And yes you can trun your t-bars up. You will need to have front end allined though. If you go too far with the t-bars, you will need to install shock extenders as the stock shocks will be too short. You can also get new shocks. The $275 kit has new keys(green keys) and shock extenders. The green keys replace the stock keys, and do the same thing as turning up your stock keys. Still need a reallinement. If you want to level your front end, check out Norcal. You can read lots about the subject on dieselplace.com...........:usflag:

Petr51488
07-17-2008, 10:22 PM
I hear the michelin ltx are pretty good tires. i have them on my 1500. They do make a load range E tire like you need. I read alot of reviews on them and people liked them

punt66
07-17-2008, 10:25 PM
You should leave the stock size on it. It will give you the best mpg and less wear and tear. Just put an E rated tire on it.

Jason Rose
07-17-2008, 10:44 PM
I agree, 265's are as big as you can go without clearance issues... Too bad that chevy/gmc uses such squared and tight fenders over the wheels! I had the same troubles with my '00 GMC.

I was able to use 285's, of course had to get new wheels since they are too wide for the factory ones. My torsion bars were already cranked up (and it had been aligned) so other than removing the mudflaps on the front they fit ok. Rubbed in the plastic on the inside of the fender when turning some. Once I did the 3" body lift I was able to re-install my mudflaps, after some modifications to them.

For me, I've been pleased with the Mickey Thompsons I put on my truck. They are a D-load and have LOTS of tread. I've put some miles on them now and I really don't notice any wear on them.

dura to the max
07-17-2008, 10:49 PM
WOW! i have 315-75-16 on my '00 2500 hd and all i did was crank the torsion bars/align and cut a little trim off. (about 4" sq per fender)

GravelyNut
07-17-2008, 11:45 PM
ok guys, now get your mind out of the gutter.

i'm in need of some new tires for my new truck, the factory ones on it have worn horribly, and it's not due to alignment. I found the tires i want to go with, and they are Firestone Transforce HT. but i don't know how big i can go. my truck is bone stock, and will likely stay that way with the exception of maybe a leveling kit in the front. i currently have 245 sized tires, and can go to 265, but can i go to 285 without having problems with the front tires? i don't want them to rub against anything.

i would appreciate any suggestions on this issue, or if you think there is a better tire for smooth highway towing.

here is a link to the tires i'm getting http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Transforce+HT

thanks guys(and gals)

I've got stock sized Transforce HTs on my dually. They used to be called Steeltex, which were used on alot of semis. They are holding up far better than the Wrangler STs that came on it. One roundtrip north and the Wranglers would be shot. Most times they would go bad on the return trip unloaded by going egg shaped.

Gravel Rat
07-18-2008, 12:59 AM
If you want a quiet long lasting tire that will stand up then look at the Bridgestone Duravis Line up.

The Duravis R250 comes in up to a 265 size and will last a very long time on a P/U truck. The tread pattern is the same what a class 8 truck uses I have the R250s on my 03 F-450

The Duravis R500HD is a closed shoulder drive tire which works good in all position.

The Michelin LTX M/S are good but won't wear as good as the Bridgestones.

deere-man
07-18-2008, 01:49 AM
265/75r16 Bf Goodrich All Terrain. Little More Exp. I Got 97,000 Out Of My Last Set And Sold The Old Ones.

02DURAMAX
07-18-2008, 02:02 AM
If you want a quiet long lasting tire that will stand up then look at the Bridgestone Duravis Line up.

The Duravis R250 comes in up to a 265 size and will last a very long time on a P/U truck. The tread pattern is the same what a class 8 truck uses I have the R250s on my 03 F-450

The Duravis R500HD is a closed shoulder drive tire which works good in all position.

Those tires look awesome thats what im gettig next!

mower&more1986
07-18-2008, 02:12 AM
I had a set of Bridgestone Duller on my ford explorer that i got from midas
They worked great all year around. did really great in the winter.

heather lawn sp
07-18-2008, 07:37 AM
265/75r16 Bf Goodrich All Terrain. Little More Exp. I Got 97,000 Out Of My Last Set And Sold The Old Ones.

When our '93 died in 2005 took the 2 year old BFG A/T's off and put them on the '96, and they're still there!!
Our '05 is also equipped with them when the factory's wore out in 3 years

mikeylikesit5805
07-18-2008, 08:12 AM
FIRESTONE DESTINATION AT'S BEST TIRE EVER!!!
But Seriously I used to work for a tire shop and we sold a ton of these.

topsites
07-18-2008, 10:22 AM
The wider the tire the faster it will wear, unevenly at that...
It's in the turns, the wider the tire the harder it wears when turning.
So I'd get the 265's thou that's still awful wide, I run 235 or 245's on mine.

The Transforce looks to be a nice tire, thou wanting both comfort and endurance could be a bit of an oxymoron, too... A comfortable ride tire is generally made of a softer rubber, the ones that last forever are usually made of a harder rubber, now there is a compromise or a middle ground where you get some of the best of both worlds but I thought I'd mention this.

J&R Landscaping
07-18-2008, 12:47 PM
I just got a set of Cooper Discoverer ATR's. Great ride and plenty of traction for both wet and dry. There was a tire thread on PS early this year, you might consider checking that out!

Petr51488
07-18-2008, 09:43 PM

I'm pretty sure those were the ones that came stock on my 08. I know their called duravis, but not sure of the model type. They seem like very good tires. I only have 11k on them so far

TandM
07-20-2008, 11:18 AM
The 285's will fit. my father is on his second set of bridgestone dueler 285's. he has a 2005 gmc 2500hd. oh and our first set we got 58000 miles on them and prob could have gotten 10 more on them except he ran over a chunk of metal and it punctured it. so we got a new set. these tires do exceptionally well in the mud rain and ride quite nicely as well. road noise is minimal. oh ya absolutely no lift or fender trimming was done to fit the tires

Jason Rose
07-20-2008, 12:02 PM
I didn't read fully when I posted, I was thinking a 1/2 ton 4x4 truck, like mine. Didn't notice till later his is a 3/4 ton. I'm pretty sure they sit taller to start with, especially being an '05.

FWIW, the GMC trucks, at least around the 2000 models (like mine) are the lowest to the ground trucks there were on the market for a 4x4 (Z-71). I've read the the GMC models actually set lower than their nearly identical Cheverolet counterparts. Hence my troubles getting even 285's to fit! Of course if I had chosen a wheel with more offset it would have made a world of difference, but I wanted them to be tucked under the fender flares still.

stbentoak
07-20-2008, 12:14 PM
If you want the best HWY tire that wears like iron look at Michelin LTX A/S tires... Lousy in winter, but I have 30K on a set and 80% tread left. But not good in rain and snow.....I would bet they would run 90K no problem....

mike lane lawn care
07-20-2008, 08:25 PM
i really am not as concerned with tread wear as i am about a good solid tire with a comfy ride, as most of the time i am on the interstate pulling. i looked at the bridgestone Revo tires, and they look decent, but i guess i'll ask the tire guy when i go in for new ones next week.

tthomass
07-20-2008, 09:41 PM
my stockers on my '07 DMAX will be dead at around 35,000 miles........i want bigger tires now, just looks ******ed with the cute little ones that come on it......function, they do just fine for me

Hawg City Lawns
07-24-2008, 01:09 AM
i have 265-75r-16 on my 2wd 1500 and no rub at all i think the measurment is like a 32.5" tire but yeah 2500 4x4 will fit 285-75r-16 no problem and its fine using the stock wheel

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/NOtruthlessHEROS/092.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/NOtruthlessHEROS/083.jpg

South Florida Lawns
07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I think the stones would be a decent tire just make sure you get the correct load rating. Other wise you will kill them fast by overloading them.