PDA

View Full Version : Haha, what an off day.

JDUtah
07-17-2008, 08:10 PM
So I have a couple years of sprinkling repairs behind me. And more when grandpa took me around as a kid. Today was a great one.

Went to a home last night. A zone wasn't turning on. Quick fix.. just swap out a manifold. Well in turning each one on to see which one it was i run into one that didn't turn off. Talk to the customer and agree to replace all 6 of them (2 boxes).

He was going out of town the next day (today) so I told him i would run to my supplier that night.. well I got there 5 mins after they closed. Bummer. So I figure ahhh maybe big box crap for this one... so I run to to Ace and Lowes.. all they have are Orbit valves.. yuck... these valves are everywhere out here. They manufacture them 30 miles away. I am always replacing them and will not use them for ANY of my repair work. I call the guy and say I can reschedule some stiff the next morning and be there right after my supplier opens.. All is good.

Get up, buy the stuff and get to diggin. Well I could have sworn I saw 3/4 poly mainline the day before... nope... its 1"... look in my parts boxes.. not one fitting (I know I need to get caught up and re-organize things) Anyways I run back to the supplier, get the freaking part and put the manifolds in.

Running through each one and they are all good. Except the last one... Turns on for 2 seconds then plunk.. nothing. Oh crap, something is in the line. Did it find it's way in when I ran back to the supplier? We try to back-flow.. nothing but some muddy water.

I dig down at the closest sprinkler... 3/4 inch poly.. but 1" was leaving the manifold?! This zone goes under some concrete steps mind you. I guess where it might go under and get lucky.. but still 3/4. Hmmmm... The valve box is 15 feet from the corner of the house.. maybe he reduced to 90 on teh elbow there. So I dig and follow that line.. no turn at the corner.. poly line... just meanders back and forth on its way to the concrete. I end up digging every 10 feet and find the reducer halway... yup 2 half inch rocks, some gravel and sand.

Get it all put back together and test. Ummm it turns on, great pressure.. but why wont it turn off? I just put the freaking thing in. Pull the manifold apart, put new top and rubber on.. still nope. Ran and exchanged the manifold. The new one works. Wire up and check.. all good. Customer left on trip while I am back-filling.

So yes lesson learned.. PROTECT OPEN PIPES! Need to go buy some end caps.. haha do they even make them for poly pipe?

And, the $360 repair job turns into $670 but it was known that I might have let the rock in.. so I eat that and charge the $360. Needless to say I didn't get done with the other stuff today....

CAP THOSE OPEN ENDS!

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-17-2008, 08:16 PM
we use duct tape brotha...

and sometimes i dont even cap my pipe cause I am careful...

JDUtah
07-17-2008, 08:18 PM
duct tape it is. And lol more careful it is too. TY

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-17-2008, 08:20 PM
yw hoss...

One other thing I do is leave as much of the old pipe in the ground as possible, and when you couple go from the manifold to the pipe.....Just my thoughts also watch this video part 1 and 2 for a little more help..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=G0QjuZa06ZA
CSR

JDUtah
07-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Info on the clamps? I like 'em.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Info on the clamps? I like 'em.

They are 1 inch pinch clamps....I love em..did you use hose clamps?

JDUtah
07-17-2008, 09:31 PM
did you use hose clamps?

Bullz-eye!

Where do you get the pinch clamps? And are you using a specialized tool to clamp them in the vid?

Oh, AND... do you always put a filter right before the valves? I love it. Might start doing that on every replacement.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Bullz-eye!

Where do you get the pinch clamps? And are you using a specialized tool to clamp them in the vid?

Oh, AND... do you always put a filter right before the valves? I love it. Might start doing that on every replacement.

I know that all supply places out here have them...

I know these guys sell them....
http://www.thesprinklerhouse.com/

The red handle things are called crimpers....I'll send you a pair and a few bags of clamps...you got any thing good to trade hoss? Home Owner remotes?

That filter reducer was for a drip zone that I decided to change around..I was going to attempt a reduced single female drip 1'' valve and then decided later on it was a bad idea..
I decided to put the reducer on the mainline there and have the valve then filter down stream..good times...

like so....
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o16/windoraphan/Library-2817.jpg

This worked great for me for the past year and change..
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o16/windoraphan/Library-2825.jpg

Im pround of this cleanup

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o16/windoraphan/Library-2827.jpg

JDUtah
07-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Haha, newbie moment... didn't even know there were homeowner remotes. Still not sure what they are...

If you wanna send it I'll think up something. I still need to find them locally, Utah is always behind the times it seems.

Can't even see the dig on the last pic. nice

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Haha, newbie moment... didn't even know there were homeowner remotes. Still not sure what they are...

If you wanna send it I'll think up something. I still need to find them locally, Utah is always behind the times it seems.

Can't even see the dig on the last pic. nice

sounds good brotha....Im always down to help out a fellow person wanting to learn...

remotes are the bomb....

Mike Leary
07-17-2008, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=CAPT Stream Rotar;242323Th.I was going to attempt a reduced single female[/QUOTE

Those filter pics hurt my eyes: they're both wrong. :hammerhead:

JDUtah
07-17-2008, 10:36 PM
sounds good brotha....Im always down to help out a fellow person wanting to learn...

remotes are the bomb....

Sweet! thanks man. I'm sure there will be PLENTY of questions.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-17-2008, 10:38 PM
So I have a couple years of sprinkling repairs behind me. And more when grandpa took me around as a kid. Today was a great one.

Went to a home last night. A zone wasn't turning on. Quick fix.. just swap out a manifold. Well in turning each one on to see which one it was i run into one that didn't turn off. Talk to the customer and agree to replace all 6 of them (2 boxes).

He was going out of town the next day (today) so I told him i would run to my supplier that night.. well I got there 5 mins after they closed. Bummer. So I figure ahhh maybe big box crap for this one... so I run to to Ace and Lowes.. all they have are Orbit valves.. yuck... these valves are everywhere out here. They manufacture them 30 miles away. I am always replacing them and will not use them for ANY of my repair work. I call the guy and say I can reschedule some stiff the next morning and be there right after my supplier opens.. All is good.

Get up, buy the stuff and get to diggin. Well I could have sworn I saw 3/4 poly mainline the day before... nope... its 1"... look in my parts boxes.. not one fitting (I know I need to get caught up and re-organize things) Anyways I run back to the supplier, get the freaking part and put the manifolds in.

Running through each one and they are all good. Except the last one... Turns on for 2 seconds then plunk.. nothing. Oh crap, something is in the line. Did it find it's way in when I ran back to the supplier? We try to back-flow.. nothing but some muddy water.

I dig down at the closest sprinkler... 3/4 inch poly.. but 1" was leaving the manifold?! This zone goes under some concrete steps mind you. I guess where it might go under and get lucky.. but still 3/4. Hmmmm... The valve box is 15 feet from the corner of the house.. maybe he reduced to 90 on teh elbow there. So I dig and follow that line.. no turn at the corner.. poly line... just meanders back and forth on its way to the concrete. I end up digging every 10 feet and find the reducer halway... yup 2 half inch rocks, some gravel and sand.

Get it all put back together and test. Ummm it turns on, great pressure.. but why wont it turn off? I just put the freaking thing in. Pull the manifold apart, put new top and rubber on.. still nope. Ran and exchanged the manifold. The new one works. Wire up and check.. all good. Customer left on trip while I am back-filling.

So yes lesson learned.. PROTECT OPEN PIPES! Need to go buy some end caps.. haha do they even make them for poly pipe?

And, the $360 repair job turns into $670 but it was known that I might have let the rock in.. so I eat that and charge the $360. Needless to say I didn't get done with the other stuff today....

CAP THOSE OPEN ENDS!

You are good honest decent person. I like that. Make up the loss on your next old, blind, crippled, person.:)

JDUtah
07-17-2008, 10:47 PM
You are good honest decent person. I like that. Make up the loss on your next old, blind, crippled, person.:)

Recovery is already in the planning stages. The guy is cool, just met him, but we might day hike the grand canyon sometime. Figure referrals and upsells will be worth it. He might have me bid his moms lawn... complete care. And fert his lawn. Honesty is the best way to make money. :gunsfirin

irrig8r
07-17-2008, 10:52 PM

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=2423446#post2423446

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-17-2008, 10:56 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=2423446#post2423446

Quit driving home points.........

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Recovery is already in the planning stages. The guy is cool, just met him, but we might day hike the grand canyon sometime. Figure referrals and upsells will be worth it. He might have me bid his moms lawn... complete care. And fert his lawn. Honesty is the best way to make money. :gunsfirin

Oh my LAWD. He didn't pull the "We'll hike the Grand Canyon sometime" smoother on you to get his bill reduced did he?

Mike Leary
07-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Quit driving home points.........

I give: no more filter comments. :wall

JDUtah
07-18-2008, 01:33 AM
Oh my LAWD. He didn't pull the "We'll hike the Grand Canyon sometime" smoother on you to get his bill reduced did he?

Haha, nope. His house is a mile away form a canyon I hike regularly. Some pics = http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=238401 He hikes it every morning. We were talking about different hikes the whole time.

I told him the billing situation long before we got to the grand canyon point. In fact, I dont think we even brought up the grand canyon until after we talked billing. I was the one that told him to let me know when he hikes it next. The bill thing is straight up.. my fault.. my carelessness let the rocks in, I should be responsible.

Customers aren't enemies... look up some Dale Carnegie?

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-18-2008, 05:45 AM
[QUOTE=CAPT Stream Rotar;242323Th.I was going to attempt a reduced single female[/QUOTE

who the F are you?

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Haha, nope. His house is a mile away form a canyon I hike regularly. Some pics = http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=238401 He hikes it every morning. We were talking about different hikes the whole time.

I told him the billing situation long before we got to the grand canyon point. In fact, I dont think we even brought up the grand canyon until after we talked billing. I was the one that told him to let me know when he hikes it next. The bill thing is straight up.. my fault.. my carelessness let the rocks in, I should be responsible.

Customers aren't enemies... look up some Dale Carnegie?

Dale Carnegie on our forum?

Two Words

Mike Leary

Wet_Boots
07-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Dale Carnegie wouldn't take two weeks to find a valve.

WalkGood
07-18-2008, 04:26 PM

Maybe the customer didn't plan on leaving his house for the "hike in the canyon". Is he a single guy with lots of potpourie and floral arrangements in the house? ;)

Tom Tom
07-18-2008, 04:33 PM

Went to a home last night. A zone wasn't turning on. Quick fix.. just swap out a manifold. Well in turning each one on to see which one it was i run into one that didn't turn off. Talk to the customer and agree to replace all 6 of them (2 boxes)

Why not just repair/replace the one valve that wasn't turning on?

Mike Leary
07-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Why not just repair/replace the one valve that wasn't turning on?

Piker........

Tom Tom
07-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Piker........

he should have just replaced the WHOLE system

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-18-2008, 05:59 PM
I give: no more filter comments. :wall

lol cheif....

talk about taking a step back....

I still love you though.

JDUtah
07-18-2008, 10:09 PM
If I run into a system where one valve wont turn on and another wont turn off.. forget the headache and replace them all... leaves the customer more happy anyway.

Plus these were 6 valves in line with galvanized steel T's... Somone would have to be crazy to try to mess with 20 year old galvanized...

Maybe the customer didn't plan on leaving his house for the "hike in the canyon". Is he a single guy with lots of potpourie and floral arrangements in the house?

Haha, nasty... and no... they just coo'.