PDA

View Full Version : dodge 6.7 cummins

TandM
07-17-2008, 08:47 PM
hey guys I was wondering about how the new 6.7's were runnin? what kind of gas mileage are you gettin and how many miles do you have and what model you have. we love our 5.9's with that sweet 20mpg average. thanks a lot for your info

TXNSLighting
07-17-2008, 09:04 PM
To be honest i have heard about a 50/50 good bad on these things. some say 17 highway. others say 14. so who knows... its like all the new emmision friendly engines. they all can be crap or they can be good. Ive heard the worst about the 6.7 cummins.

KrayzKajun
07-17-2008, 09:11 PM
did the 2007s have the 5.9l??

TXNSLighting
07-17-2008, 09:16 PM
they sure did.

Lawn Enforcer
07-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about incredible power, but piss-poor mileage. Emissions engine, what a load. Oh, that's great for the enviroment, chopping 8 mpg off and burning that much more fuel. I've heard great things about the 5.9, but the 6.7, do some more research.

mower&more1986
07-18-2008, 01:50 AM
I think it safe to say with the new emission standards which is going to hurt MPG and added to the cost of new diesel engines.
Very sadly the days of diesels getting better MPGs than gas engines are just about over
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXA22Q0qXNM

A cummins diesel engine adds to the price of NEW truck about $6000
fords V10 adds to the Price of a new Ford $600

Imo if you have to have a diesel get a Used one Preferable a 12Valve cummins. or a 7.3 a non turbo " I know no turbo It doesent suck that bad beleave me if you find one that has been tooken care of its a great of truck.
24 valve cummins wasnt too bad but I swear it seemed the 7.3 IDE with the 5speed got way better mpg but that just my experience.
And also I do not care much for dodge auto transmission just havent had good luck with them

TXNSLighting
07-18-2008, 12:43 PM
I think it safe to say with the new emission standards which is going to hurt MPG and added to the cost of new diesel engines.
Very sadly the days of diesels getting better MPGs than gas engines are just about over
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXA22Q0qXNM

A cummins diesel engine adds to the price of NEW truck about $6000
fords V10 adds to the Price of a new Ford $600

Imo if you have to have a diesel get a Used one Preferable a 12Valve cummins. or a 7.3 a non turbo " I know no turbo It doesent suck that bad beleave me if you find one that has been tooken care of its a great of truck.
24 valve cummins wasnt too bad but I swear it seemed the 7.3 IDE with the 5speed got way better mpg but that just my experience.
And also I do not care much for dodge auto transmission just havent had good luck with them

24 valve cummins were right next to the 12 valves mileage wise. just came with more power. and sounded so awesome.

mag360
07-18-2008, 01:23 PM
24 valve cummins were right next to the 12 valves mileage wise. just came with more power. and sounded so awesome.

I agree. These were arguable the nicest running and most fuel efficient cummins if the lift pump and injection pump held up (big "if"). My observation between these and the 7.3idi was that the cummins did a little better on fuel (and power of course).

topsites
07-19-2008, 10:35 AM
This is all kind of neat but won't it be at least 10 or 12 years before most of us can even think of getting into one of these? Because there's no way, for most folks to just go out and buy some 40-50 thousand dollar truck, business or not the payments and the insurance alone would be a killer and I'm not arguing a new truck would be cool but these threads would make ya believe every Lco drives one of these lol

To all those who are driving a late model truck, well I guess it must be nice. :p
But aren't you afraid to use it, doesn't the truck actually have to work?
How do I pamper a work truck is what I'm getting at, how does that work?
What do we do here, not get dirty first, now don't scratch my truck!?
How about the landfill, what about dust from working when it drifts, what do we do here, wash this thing every day?

So, shouldn't we be looking at '92- '97 models and the like?
It's still hard and long looking to find one and still it's spending a small fortune compared to a gasser but maybe then diesel wouldn't be such an unclimbable mountain. When it takes me a good year just to find a decent 3/4 ton gasser for a good price and with all the stuff I want in it, I'd say start looking and start saving, now it won't be no 2007 but if you want a diesel maybe in 4-5 years you can actually have one.

Lawnshow
07-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Hows my 08 2500 Dodge with the new 6.7 Bluetec diesel running. Not worth a squat! What a major disapointment. I drove mine off the lot with a sticker over 45k and had nothing but headaches with the new emissions on the motor. I now have 9k miles on it and had it in so many times for the turbo failing and not staying cool.
Furthermore, Dodge gave me 900.00 dollars off the purchase of the truck if I mounted a plow on it. (We plow a lot of snow) so I wanted a plow on it and the darn thing overheats every time I try to drive on the highway. The dealer said that they didn't know why the truck was overheating and after four attempts with the dealer, I called Cummins tech support for help. I found out that there are three temp. sensors on the front of the trucks that operate and control the engine cooling system. These systems tell the computer to turn on the engine fan or when the truck is running warm based on the amount of air flow and the air temp. When I put a plow on the front, the airflow disrupped the sensors (No matter where I ran the plow going down the road) causing the computer to get "confused" and not turn on the engine fan. Dodge's answer to me after all of this - "Rig" up an auxilary wire to a non-monentary switch and turn the fan off an on maually. Cummins had not immediate solution but did state that they are coming out with a new computer download so this won't happen. Now, why should I have to
"Rig" up a switch on a 45k truck to keep it cool?

For me the bottom line is this, we have around 15 dodge trucks and we are very loyal to their product line. BUT, I feel that they don't have the bugs worked out of this new emission motor yet. I am very disappointed and to conclude this wine fest, Dodge is buying the truck back under the lemon law. I am going to shop for a pre-emission motor truck or maybe look into a duramax. Has anyone else expierenced these kind of motor problems? Has anyone had the overheating issues while running a plow on the front? I am very interested in hearing.
Jim

TXNSLighting
07-19-2008, 09:12 PM
you paid 45k for a dodge?!!!

TandM
07-20-2008, 12:06 AM
yea find a 5.9 don't go to a duramax we have two. 13mpg. If you do decide to go duramx go for 05 or newer. oh and we have a few f250s with the 6.0 and man it sucks. 12mpgs. The best truck we have is that 07 dodge with the 5.9 in it. 40000 miles and 0 probs! i am impressed so far. no 6.7 for me

ddivinia
07-20-2008, 01:39 AM

Some 07s had the old engine and some had the new engine.

D.

ddivinia
07-20-2008, 01:46 AM
I have a 2005 Dodge 3500 SRW 5.9L Cummins Auto - the truck rocks. I have 56K miles on it and it pulls great, fuel economy is good. I think I got a good one. I replaced a 2001 F-250 with the 7.3L I bought it new and it was a chunk from the day I bought it. I should have ditched it sooner. Oh well - my 05 ain't going away any time soon.

D.

mower&more1986
07-20-2008, 06:55 AM
This is all kind of neat but won't it be at least 10 or 12 years before most of us can even think of getting into one of these? Because there's no way, for most folks to just go out and buy some 40-50 thousand dollar truck, business or not the payments and the insurance alone would be a killer and I'm not arguing a new truck would be cool but these threads would make ya believe every Lco drives one of these lol

To all those who are driving a late model truck, well I guess it must be nice. :p
But aren't you afraid to use it, doesn't the truck actually have to work?
How do I pamper a work truck is what I'm getting at, how does that work?
What do we do here, not get dirty first, now don't scratch my truck!?
How about the landfill, what about dust from working when it drifts, what do we do here, wash this thing every day?

So, shouldn't we be looking at '92- '97 models and the like?
It's still hard and long looking to find one and still it's spending a small fortune compared to a gasser but maybe then diesel wouldn't be such an unclimbable mountain. When it takes me a good year just to find a decent 3/4 ton gasser for a good price and with all the stuff I want in it, I'd say start looking and start saving, now it won't be no 2007 but if you want a diesel maybe in 4-5 years you can actually have one.
I personly like 87-91 ford f-series ,87-98 style chevy trucks.
I like dodges body style up until 2002 I think when they change it but the new 4 door quad cab was nice but more than what i want to spend.
1994 chevy 3/4 or one ton 4x4 truck + 12valve cummins diesel=The prefect truck in my book
but then again the ammount of money and time it would take to do that might as well buy a dodge with the cummins in it from the get go
have a nice day.:usflag:

mower&more1986
07-20-2008, 07:12 AM
http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/applications/dodge_ram/ram59.page?
why cant we still have the 5.9
Oh it didnt meet emissions darn it that just..... oh well plenty of 5.9 to around in the used market
http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/applications/dodge_ram/ram67.page?

ropinghorns
07-20-2008, 07:43 AM
I too have the 05 crew cab [4door] srw one ton long bed 4x4 auto. Not a problem at 90k miles now. 24 mpg empty highway and 15 around town pulling tractors and such. Have heard lots of bad about the new Ford diesel 08'.

PlatinumLandCon
07-20-2008, 08:13 AM

Early ones did... My uncle picked up one for a deal last year (Jul 28) for $65k cash.

P.S. it had all options aside from Nav, and I'm in Canada so I don't need bullshi* that he got robbed.

KrayzKajun
07-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Early ones did... My uncle picked up one for a deal last year (Jul 28) for $65k cash.

P.S. it had all options aside from Nav, and I'm in Canada so I don't need bullshi* that he got robbed.

Robbed is an understatement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dizzy::dizzy:

ddivinia
07-20-2008, 09:28 AM

I too have the 05 crew cab [4door] srw one ton long bed 4x4 auto. Not a problem at 90k miles now. 24 mpg empty highway and 15 around town pulling tractors and such. Have heard lots of bad about the new Ford diesel 08'.

The 08 Fords have such a bad reputation around here - you can't give one away. Trade in, individual, etc. I know one guy that just parked his. It was cheaper to just pay the payment then to have to feed it. Loaded he is getting 4mpg...

D.

TXNSLighting
07-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Some 07s had the old engine and some had the new engine.

D.

that was already answered. early 07's had 5.9, rest had 6.7

TXNSLighting
07-20-2008, 10:53 AM
The 08 Fords have such a bad reputation around here - you can't give one away. Trade in, individual, etc. I know one guy that just parked his. It was cheaper to just pay the payment then to have to feed it. Loaded he is getting 4mpg...

D.

not around here they dont. you cant go anywhere without seeing them. They are loved.

TandM
07-20-2008, 11:09 AM
a huge paving company bought about 20 of them and sent them all back in the flavor of duramax's. they were reporting 11 to 12 mpg empty. 6 with trailer behind. so I guess we need to give the manufactureres time to sort out these problems. I'd say the safest bet is to go with the duramax we hve a 07 with the new engine and it does pretty well on fuel 16mpg and we have had no probs.

ddivinia
07-20-2008, 01:47 PM
There is talk of a class action law suit against Ford on these new trucks. Thing is there is no MPG rating on the sticker. I guess for a reason...

D.

bobcat_ron
07-20-2008, 02:46 PM
The Sterling Bullet got an award here for highest rated fuel economy in the class 4 & 5 trucks, but I still think the Cummins are better in fuel economy overall, 2 less cylinders.

TXNSLighting
07-20-2008, 04:11 PM
There is talk of a class action law suit against Ford on these new trucks. Thing is there is no MPG rating on the sticker. I guess for a reason...

D.

no diesel has the mpg's on the sticker

TandM
07-20-2008, 05:01 PM
yeah and ford is sueing navistar

ddivinia
07-20-2008, 06:54 PM
no diesel has the mpg's on the sticker

Seems dumb to me. Why shouldn't they have to post that info?

D.

TandM
07-20-2008, 10:45 PM
they don't want people to know the truth

TXNSLighting
07-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Seems dumb to me. Why shouldn't they have to post that info?

D.

because there are to many variances with diesels. towing, how you drive. This is effected much more on a diesel then a gas. There all going to get different.

Junior M
07-21-2008, 08:13 AM
The Sterling Bullet got an award here for highest rated fuel economy in the class 4 & 5 trucks, but I still think the Cummins are better in fuel economy overall, 2 less cylinders.
the sterling bullet is built by who? DODGE!!!!!!

i think ron just supported DODGE we should have this hidden away in some vault so we can prove it to the next generation!!! hahaha

ddivinia
07-21-2008, 09:02 AM
because there are to many variances with diesels. towing, how you drive. This is effected much more on a diesel then a gas. There all going to get different.

They should at least have to do unloaded fuel economy tests. I am sure they will game them, but it gives everybody a baseline.

D.

jkitterman
07-21-2008, 12:22 PM
The fuel mileage tests aren't required because of the weight class the trucks fall into. 3/4 ton and up are exempt.

L&L
07-22-2008, 09:56 PM
I have a 08 Dodge 6.7. Bought it in november and now have almost 18k miles. I do have the over heating issue with the plow that I have been trying to work out. No luck yet. My truck gets right around 11 mpg loaded. Unloaded around town I see 13or 14 and I have seen as good as 19 on the highway. I have had a seal go bad in the trans which caused a small leak but thats about it. The 6.7 pulls like crazy and the 6 speed in great. Yes there are still bugs to be worked out but so far I have been pretty happy.

Lawnshow
07-23-2008, 10:27 PM
L&L thanks for the reply to the overheating issue. I didn't think I was crazy just yet. I too had the output shaft seal go out in the tranny. I don't know what I am going to do either this year with the overheating. I think that the buyback will be before winter thought to I will have to rip the plows off of it. I don't think Dodge will pay for that one!!!

L&L
07-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Hey lawnshow, did you say dodge was going to have a resolution the this problem or are we stuck? I took my truck to the dealership last winter to have it looked at and no luck. They said thats what happens when you hang a plow on the front. I explained to them that I have never had a overheating problem with any of my 5 Ford plow trucks. I can drive them all day on the highway without problems. They couldnt fix them problem so they blamed the plow. I plow alot and im pretty pissed that I cant drive my truck over 55 mph without having to stop and let it cool off!

Lawnshow
07-26-2008, 10:54 PM
L&L, I am sorry to say but I think that we are stuck. The dealer and their reps told me nothing! They "alledgally" had a Dodge Engineer come to the dealer becasue of this problem. I was told by the Service Manager that it was my fault for not knowing how to drive down the road with the plow on. Needless to say I got very upset. Their answer was finally that I cannot drive over 45mph at any one time because the "plow" companies state that plowers are not supposed to drive their trucks down the highways. I told them that they were nuts. I then took a 2003 2500 Dodge to the dealer with a 9' plow on the front and drove the same manager around. I drove him up a and down the highway at 75mph and the truck didn't over heat. I couldn't find any other way to tell him to kiss my A$$. I think our only remedy to this is to have Dodge buy back the trucks under the Lemon Laws. After so many, I think that they will get off of their butts and figure this out and quit blaming the customer for having a plow on the front. (Which they gave me 900.00 off for putting one on commercially.)

BTW, Cummins Techs told me that they will have a computer download available soon to solve the overheating and turn the fan on at the appropiate time. At this time, I have not heard of this download being available. I wish I had better news....

nosparkplugs
07-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Try some of the Dodge Cummins Truck forums or blogs, much better source for troubleshooting & technical information on ALL generation 6.7L or 5.9L Cummins diesel engine's, than Lawnsite's blog surfers.