PDA

View Full Version : New business idea?

RoyaleRcr
01-15-2002, 08:47 AM
Hi Gang,

I haven't posted here for a long time but have been checking the posts regularly. Here is my question. I have been a solo since 1994. I love to do the work, the people contact, the sights and smells, ie: the smell of an early summer morning. The problem is this, the body is shot! knees gone, wrists not much better.

I have no desire to ad a worker or two. Been there, done that!
I was just wondering if you guys would like to have a sort of mobile convenience store stop at your sites offering cold drinks, chips. Basicaly everything you are driving to the local Stop & Rob for now. Also maybe some supplys. It seems to me that this would make your days more productive. Then the only time you need to leave the site is for a p_ _ _ break. Any thoughts on this from owners and crew guys would be very helpful.
Thanks and Have a Profitable Year!
Jeff

walker-talker
01-15-2002, 09:22 AM
You mean a "roach coach". I would not think it would be very lucrative for this industry. When I use to landscape in new developments, one would come around. Most of the business came from the construction workers. Just my thoughts.

MATT

beck
01-15-2002, 09:48 AM
About 8 years ago my family had their own donut shop. In addition to the over the counter sales we had a route to sell donuts and donut sandwiches. We targeted a lot of car dealerships and a few local businesses. It seemed to be a decent monemaker.

One thing to consider is the amount of time that you will be able to sell these items. We usually went out around 11 and came back by 1. You could possibly go out earlier.

Scraper
01-15-2002, 09:57 AM
One problem I see is that you're route would be always changing and you'd have to be in constant contact with LCO. It would be one thing in a new construction development, but the "roach coaches" are usually set-up by the GC. (As WT stated above)Sorry, but don't think it'd fly.

gogetter
01-15-2002, 11:20 AM
You seem to be coming at it from that angle that you would just be servicing LCO's. I can't see it doing very well. They'd be somewhere new each day, and although there may be alot of them around, I don't enough to make a living at.

But if you come at it from the angle of servicing LCO's BESIDES the normal type of customers (new construction ares, car dealers, etc.), I think you might have a shot at it.

Also, you would have to offer more then beverages and chips. You'd need to be a full service lunch truck. I've heard that they can make decent money.

JimLewis
01-18-2002, 02:29 AM
Around here, the Taco Trucks or Roach Coaches make a good living. They show up to the nurseries around 10:00 (because the mexicans have been working since 6:00 am) then they go to another nursery, then to a big construction site, then to a busy corner somewhere, then to another construction site, then to a nursery for afternoon break, etc. and they stop every day about 6:00 or later depending on the daylight. They seem to do pretty well.

Personally, I like the idea a lot. I think it would be even better if these Taco Trucks had stuff that 7-11 had, like gatorade, soda pop, candy, sandwiches, gloves, low-rider magazine, etc. I think you could do pretty well for yourself.

It may take a while to figure out which areas, job sites, neighborhoods brought you the most money each day but I bet it would work. I know around here in the summer you could drive around a little sub-division and see anywhere from 10-30 landscapers or other contractors within a 1/2 mile radius.

Atlantic Lawn
01-18-2002, 06:13 AM
Health Dept. Check with these guys before you go any further.