PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Command Twin 20 HP drinking oil, solved

mcambrose
07-18-2008, 12:01 AM
I have a Walker 2003 model GHS with 20 HP kohler. Less than 300 hours. It started gulping oil. About 3-4 ounces per hour. Motor had been babied and synthetic oil used except during break-in. The front cylinder spark plug was very oily. I replaced what seemed to be a bad head gasket on this cylinder. I tried the mower and the oil burning didn't slow down. I talked to Kohler and they said to take it in to the shop for diagnosis using a leakdown test and compression test. My mechanic called and said the vacuum was low (4) and he suspected a faulty reed valve. He replaced the part and said the vacuum came back up the normal range (10). The exhaust doesn't smell like oil any more. The repair was only $45. I was so happy. I hope this helps someone else with similar problem.

TOOMUCHWALKING
07-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Where is this reed valve ?

fixer67
07-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Where is this reed valve ?

The only one I can think of is part of the crankcase vent

joe the lawn guy
08-21-2008, 01:01 AM
i'm replacing my head gasket tomorrow dose anyone know about this reed valve ? if so where is it i have the same thing happening so i would like to only take it a part once thank you all for the help :)

mcambrose
08-21-2008, 09:05 AM
It is on top of the engine, according to my mechanic. I do not recommend changing any head gasket, until you do a vacuum test to try to identify the problem. I changed mine twice and it was not my problem. My mechanic said he did vacuum test and got a reading of 4 (i don't know the units), but that it was supposed to read 10. He changed the reed valve and it increased to 10 which was normal. He only charged $45, so it couldn't have been hard to do. Call Kohler factory tech and he will be glad to answer questions 920.459.1579 select 1

BigFish
08-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Why would anyone dig into an engine WITHOUT THE PROPER MANUAL ?????
In most cases you can get all the tech. info ya need at the mfg. website!
Kohler has a good tech site. Log in as a guest.
Oh, thats right, I forgot...... ya don't have a 'puter!!

joe the lawn guy
08-21-2008, 12:36 PM
It is on top of the engine, according to my mechanic. I do not recommend changing any head gasket, until you do a vacuum test to try to identify the problem. I changed mine twice and it was not my problem. My mechanic said he did vacuum test and got a reading of 4 (i don't know the units), but that it was supposed to read 10. He changed the reed valve and it increased to 10 which was normal. He only charged $45, so it couldn't have been hard to do. Call Kohler factory tech and he will be glad to answer questions 920.459.1579 select 1

thank you i will do a leak test today and than call them :)

joe the lawn guy
08-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Why would anyone dig into an engine WITHOUT THE PROPER MANUAL ?????
In most cases you can get all the tech. info ya need at the mfg. website!
Kohler has a good tech site. Log in as a guest.
Oh, thats right, I forgot...... ya don't have a 'puter!!

big fish i have been on there site
not much info there. as for why the loco mower shop told me that's my problem. so i didn't know you know it all . because your just the designer of the motors right ?:laugh:

freddyc
08-21-2008, 02:28 PM
there should be a a hose running from the breather cover to the carb...the hose should be about 1/2 inch in diameter.

I have a Kohler command 20hp (horizontal shaft) and to change the reed (underneath the breather cover) you need to dis-connect the governor from the cross shaft to get it out of the way.

You should replace the gaskets while you're in there. Some of th reeds have been upgraded so check to make sure you have the updated model.

bigmower1
08-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Th reed valve is on top of the engin , but you must take the cover off under the carborator to get to it and it isnt necessary if your just replacing head gaskets.

joe the lawn guy
08-22-2008, 03:21 AM
well i just finished for the day . i did call the tech . wow what a great # they were every help full . i spoke with hank he is sending me some parts free did i say free . the reed valve isn't bad . i know this because only one plug was full of oil . well tomorrow i will put it back together i think it will go better now i know where every thing goes thank you all you have been every help ful. i will keep the tech # .if you dont have it write it down and keep it

BigFish
08-22-2008, 08:19 AM
big fish i have been on there site
not much info there. as for why the loco mower shop told me that's my problem. so i didn't know you know it all . because your just the designer of the motors right ?:laugh:

One thing I do know is if you were on the kohler site, and you viewed /downloaded, for free, the factory service manual and you post "not much info there" then you need a checkup from the neckup.

tino578
08-18-2009, 11:13 PM
I have a 1995 GHS and when the forward gear handle is in park/neutral it still wanst to go forward. Where is the adjustment for this? If I can save myself a week in the shop and some money I'll do it my self!!!

Thanks!!