PDA

View Full Version : What is the 'Vane' for.

dbsoccer
07-18-2008, 04:53 PM
I have to think the engineers who designed sprinkler heads have a purpose for all the parts. Does anyone know what the vane is for and what happens if it is left out?

The Rainbird impacts (MiniPaws and MaxiPaws, to name two) have a vane in the water stream just behind the nozzle. I expect it has something to do with 'straightening' the flow (turbulent to laminar) prior to the water hitting the nozzle.

Any ideas? If you leave it out, what is the harm?

Wet_Boots
07-18-2008, 05:28 PM
And you would remove this part why?

irrig8r
07-18-2008, 07:40 PM
As far as i can tell it is there as a counterweight that pulls on the spring that is driven by the force of the water. That's what the little plated steel disc in the Maxi/ Mini series does. The brass ones use their own weight.

Wet_Boots
07-18-2008, 08:06 PM
As far as i can tell it is there as a counterweight that pulls on the spring that is driven by the force of the water. That's what the little plated steel disc in the Maxi/ Mini series does. The brass ones use their own weight.Say what? An absurd conjecture. The vane is the stream-straightener behind the nozzle.

Mike Leary
07-18-2008, 08:17 PM
::::Gives a rats a.s. about impacts:::::::except ag & only if they're brass.

Wet_Boots
07-18-2008, 08:29 PM
I wonder if the OP has some above-ground impacts getting clogged up. Who makes screens for 1/2-inch risers these days?

Waterit
07-18-2008, 08:32 PM
I wonder if the OP has some above-ground impacts getting clogged up. Who makes screens for 1/2-inch risers these days?

Toro used to have some for their bubblers...

irrig8r
07-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Say what? An absurd conjecture. The vane is the stream-straightener behind the nozzle.

LOL.

IS that really what they call it... a vane?

I thought he meant the othe rpart... guess I didn't really read his post.. just the title... too busy thinking about BBQ and beer...

Mike Leary
07-18-2008, 09:02 PM
vane?.

"You're so"........

irrig8r
07-18-2008, 09:39 PM
... you probly think this thread is a bow chew...

Kiril
07-19-2008, 12:29 AM
http://www.websmileys.com/sm/obscene/eck15.gif

irrig8r
07-19-2008, 11:38 AM
obviously not a Carly Simon or Miock Jagger fan..... :rolleyes:

dbsoccer
07-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Sorry to cause such a stir.....
Wet Boots good question, why take it out? In my case either it was never in there or it blew out when I was changing nozzles with the zone running. (When it's 95F this actually feels pretty good - the getting wet part.)

So my question was based around what is it for and is it worth replacing.

And why use impacts? I feel the water distribution is more even than with the rotors I've had experience with albeit a limited sample size. I have not yet been too impressed with RainBird's Rain Curtain. What I saw initially was that they washed out my seed bed directly in front of the head and that they continue to put more water right in front of the head than at the peak of the spray radius. I don't see this with the Maxipaw. The impacts generate a ton more noise which can be an issue in a neighborhood if your watering times start at say 1:00AM. But as far as even water distribution, I'm not convinced at least RainBirds Rain Curtain matches their impacts. Perhaps I'd have better luck with Hunters. BTW: I always design with 100% overlap and attempt to match preciptation rates a closely as possible.

dbsoccer
07-21-2008, 03:45 PM
ten characters.

Wet_Boots
07-21-2008, 03:54 PM
ten characters.in search of a plot

dbsoccer
07-21-2008, 04:03 PM
plot of turf? I responded this AM. But didn't see my response so I thought I hadn't hit the post key. But then when I posted the second attempt the first attempt appears mysteriously. So then I tried to delete the repeated second attempt by editing and deleting all the words. It kept giving me an error stating it needed a minimum of ten characters. So I gave it its ten characters.

My real response was the one before.

Wet_Boots
07-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Sure, but we have to take straight lines where we can find them.

Mike Leary
07-21-2008, 04:33 PM
ten characters.

Let's see....me, Boots, Jon, Purple, Fimco, Gregg, Kiril, Waterit, ROTAR, John.
Want any more?