PDA

View Full Version : Going against the grain

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-15-2002, 01:08 PM
I did a search on striping and found a gazillion threads on this. My situation is this. I have a showplace acct that gets alot of traffic driving by it. I've had this acct for 8 years. I stripe the front yard north/south one week and east /west the next week. The grass is trained to lay in the same direction that the mower goes. I want to try this year to mow each pass in the opposite direction that it's trained. Will this put the grass into shock or will it stand it up and make it greener??

LAWNS AND MOWER

JimLewis
01-15-2002, 02:01 PM
I don't really understand what would cause that. My guess is you guys have a much different variety of grass than we do here. So I can't offer any real advice to your specific situation.

But I would recommend that you begin to mow in 4 directions, rather than 2. This should help a lot. We mow virtical one week, diagnal the next, horizontal the next, and reverse diagnal the last week. Then we start all over.

King City Lawns
01-19-2002, 02:07 PM
I agree.. Try to start a four stripe pattern. It should take a lot of the stress of off the lawn. This really looks good on a corner lot, where you can drive past and see all four stripes. Very Impressive.

mmcconn746
01-19-2002, 09:23 PM
I am not sure I understand. You make a cut in one direction then you turn and go back leaving a stripe in the other direction. I am not sure how you would leave stripes in the other direction other than recutting doing the same thing 90° of the first stripes. Am I missing something?

Mike

JimLewis
01-20-2002, 02:41 AM
Picture a quare lawn.

Week one, you mow up and down.

Week two, you mow side to side.

Week three, you mow diagnal - upper right corner to lower left corner.

Week four, you mow opposite diagnal - upper left corner to lower right corner.

Week five, you start the same process over again with up and down....

mmcconn746
01-20-2002, 05:51 AM
Hey...you have painted a picture that even a dummy like me can understand. With the mowers that I have always used, you have to cut round and round or you would mess up the sides. Thanks a lot.

Mikeee

LAWNGODFATHER
01-20-2002, 02:10 PM
It will not hurt the grass.

Mowing in 4 different directions looks like crap, so I don't recomend it.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-20-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by mmcconn746
I am not sure I understand. You make a cut in one direction then you turn and go back leaving a stripe in the other direction. I am not sure how you would leave stripes in the other direction other than recutting doing the same thing 90° of the first stripes. Am I missing something?

Mike

It's called striping.

Search the word "stripe" you will find the answers.

http://lawnsite.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=59635&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Scraper
01-20-2002, 02:46 PM
I'll have to agree with the Godfather on the four different directions. I may go up to three but even then it gets very "busy" looking.

mmcconn746
01-20-2002, 02:48 PM
If you look at the picture of the grass at the top of this Web page, you will notice dark and light vertical stripes. The color difference was caused by cutting the grass in different directions. That is what they are calling stripes.

Does anyone know how do they do the plaid design on the Atlanta Braves ballfield. I would assume they cut the grass twice in opposite directions but it seems that the second cut would wipe out the stripes in the other direction?

Mike

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-21-2002, 10:23 AM
I understand the changing directions principle. What I'm curious about is what will happen to the grass if I change direction on a single pass. Let's say one pass is mowed house to road and then I try to mow that same pass next week road to house. Will the grass get twisted around?

LAWNS AND MOWER

Scraper
01-21-2002, 10:42 AM
:cry:

kutnkru
01-21-2002, 11:52 AM
It sounds to me as though you are concerned with the washboard effect associated with running the same direction consatntly.

Yes you should be able to alleviate your concernes by running the opposite direction of the same patternrs as you have suggested.

Here is a thread that might shed some light to your quandry:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18536

Hope this helps.

JSG
01-21-2002, 01:40 PM
It will stand the grass up more but it takes a while to change
the stripe. I think its better for the lawn. It keeps the grass
from getting matted down.