PDA

View Full Version : Canned by Turf mag?

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-15-2002, 02:29 PM
I got my Turf magazine in the mail today and noticed that 'In Your Own Words' wasn't in the issue. What's up with that? Are we too boring for Turf??

LAWNS AND MOWER

rodfather
01-15-2002, 04:39 PM
Maybe they're thinking all of us are sitting on some warm, sunny beach someplace not worrying about work or reading "Turf". Yeah, hello...

scagman
01-15-2002, 04:43 PM
Yeah thats the best article in their. I got mine today as well everytime I get a new one thats the first article I look at.

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-15-2002, 05:02 PM
Maybe we could all get together and cancel our subscriptions!!!!
Oh yeah that's right,they're free. Maybe we could demand that they pay us to receive the magazine until they put back 'In Your Own Words'. If it wasn't for this section of the mag I would've never found out about lawnsite!!!!

LAWNS AND MORE

65hoss
01-15-2002, 06:38 PM
I haven't got mine yet, but I bet Jim has a reason for it.

MOW ED
01-15-2002, 07:09 PM
Now lets not jump in and crucify them without knowing the details. The issue said EXTRA so mayby it just for this issue.

Either way its a good mag and good people running it. I'm stickin with em either way and besides that - the price is right!!!:D

LJ lawn
01-15-2002, 09:40 PM
that section wouldn't be too bad if they didn't EDIT some of the replies.

keifer
01-15-2002, 10:43 PM
Hey why dont somebody email them and ask why. If you do be sure and put in here.

Scraper
01-16-2002, 09:03 AM
From the looks of it, they went back to their old style covering golf courses. Also, they probably received negative comments regarding that section from subscribers as well as advertisers. Maybe if they chose better threads to have put in there it would have been different, but the mower down the stairs thread? C'mon....that portrays us as....???

BRL
01-16-2002, 09:49 AM
I have to agree with Scraper, that was a bad choice of threads to publish. There are plenty of much better, and educational ones here. I'm just happy I finally got published in the last issue, before the series stopped ;) The only thing is they edited the funny part of my post, which was entertaining & probably would have helped to boost those free subscriptions! Oh well.

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-16-2002, 11:43 AM
I got on Turf's web site yesterday and tried to contact them but that part of their site was under construction. Maybe Peeing in the Bushes broke the camels back!!!

LAWNS AND MORE

65hoss
01-16-2002, 02:31 PM
I emailed Jim at Turf and let him know about this thread. He will probably respond when he gets a chance. I got a response email from him, so I know he is still around.

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-21-2002, 06:01 PM
Talked to Jim today on the phone in regard to 'In your own words'. It was the first he had heard that it wasn't in the last issue. He was very honest and said that they have been real busy and that it was just on oversight on their part. Maybe we are worthy!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNGODFATHER
01-21-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by MOW ED
Now lets not jump in and crucify them without knowing the details. The issue said EXTRA so mayby it just for this issue.

Either way its a good mag and good people running it. I'm stickin with em either way and besides that - the price is right!!!:D

I'm looking at the cover now, and no where does it say EXTRA.

Randy Scott
01-21-2002, 06:47 PM
Inside the front cover LGF. Although the magazine appears to be the same style and format.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-21-2002, 07:15 PM
No That extra is for the Cental Region part of the mag.

CSRA Landscaping
01-21-2002, 07:33 PM
I e-mailed them and was told that a lot of people really like the column and would have some rather nasty things to say if it were cancelled and they just ran out of room this time.

JimK
01-22-2002, 05:58 PM
Hi, Jim Kendrick at TURF here.

Here's the story: I was in the hospital during the production phase of TURF. Dave Cassidy and the gang had a space problem and they chose to nick "lawnsite" for January.

When I returned, I instantly received a couple of calls from you guys and -- dope that I am -- I hadn't realized the column wasn't in the issue. AND ... because my guys were concerned about my health, they didn't want to disturb me with business ... and hadn't yet had the chance to tell me.

So it goes. Actually, readers in a survey voted lawnsite their #3 choice of "favorites" in the magazine ... just behind new products and our "product guide" and waaaay ahead of "feature stories".

Thank Chuck for all of this. He's been a great partner for us. We work together. (and the peeing in the bushes was great!)Wait til you see the two I'm running in the February issue.

Hint hint: one comment was: Men stand, women sit.

65hoss
01-22-2002, 06:04 PM
Oh NO, Stone got in! haha. Didn't Jodi close that thread? :(

Glad you back Jim. Maybe this explains why I answered you question to me and never heard back.

kutnkru
01-22-2002, 07:57 PM
Glad to see your back up and on your feet Jim. Hope the Holidays went better for you than they sound.

Kris

1MajorTom
01-22-2002, 08:57 PM
Quote: Oh NO, Stone got in! haha. Didn't Jodi close that thread?

Hey now, I don't need the masses mad at me thinking I closed that thread. ;)
It's still open.. Here it is.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=22207&highlight=men+stand+women+sit

65hoss
01-22-2002, 09:28 PM
ok ok. Me soo sorry! ;)

brucec32
01-23-2002, 01:16 AM
Is it just me, or is it patently obvious that none of the trade magazines will ever do a comprehensive review of lawn care equipment because they're too spineless to risk alienating potential advertisers? Or am I just too cynical?

Imagine how interesting Automobile, Road and Track, Motor Trend or Car and Driver would be if they had the same attitude. Article after article about how to buy a car, what to look for in cars, how to service a car, how to finance a car, but absolutely nothing, zero, zip, nada, about CARS.

JimK
01-23-2002, 02:14 PM
Bruce ...

Jim Kendrick, publisher of TURF Magazine here.

I can't speak for other magazines, but TURF isn't spineless at all. Fact is we've been working for the past 1 1/2 years trying to publish equipment testing articles.

We're not the hang-up. The manufacturers just don't seem to line up to be independently reviewed. Some have ... and we have two more coming up in the next couple of months.

My goal was to do 1-2 reviews in each issue ... but some manufacturers apparently are fearful that we won't get an honest reviewer (or something like that). We have great people lined up to do the testing ... and they are waiting for us to match them up with a piece of equipment.

brucec32
01-23-2002, 04:37 PM
That's good news. I have to apologize. To be fair, I forgot to mention that I dont' subscribe to Turf! I get 3 or 4 others regularly, and never noticed anything approaching a real review. But I haven't seen a Turf magazine yet. I'll look into subscribing to see those reviews.

SJR Lawncare
01-23-2002, 07:31 PM
hey Jim,
there are also plenty of people right here to test equipment who will give very honest opinions from the most important point of view....the commercial field. I'd like to be 1st in line if you can get the manufacturers to become not so spineless.

SJR

richard coffman
01-23-2002, 10:54 PM
It's great to see ya on your feet again Jim. I love your Turf west magazine, but I was a bit concerned when i didn't see the " in your own words section" in my last issue sent to me last week. I went through my magazine probable half a dozen times thinking i was missing it some where.

in my own words, "It's one of my most favorite parts of the magazine. Glad to see it's just an oversite. I was kinda hoping i could be Turf in the future for what i do, It's very different in a sence, but it's still your fun loven lawn care.
Hope your doing well,

thanks,

Richard Coffman/owner
Special Needs Lawn Services
801-766-8124:cool: