PDA

View Full Version : F350 V10 or 6.0

newtostone
07-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Alright haha i know this has been gone over, i know the v10 will be lookin around 10mpg. So the two trucks i am looking at right now are a F350's. One with v10 and 25k miles or a 6.0 with 50k miles. Help me out here, will i still have the pulling power i am used to now with my 6.0 diesel or will i feel greatly under powered? (the v10 is a 2004 so anyone with knowledge of that year and anything to look out for please add in.)

Grass Happens
07-18-2008, 10:38 PM
just have the dealer check the turbo, they have a problem with it.

oakwdman
07-18-2008, 11:31 PM
i would be more concerned with the year of the 6.0L that the V10. '05+ 6.0's are alot better that the '03 and early '04's (from what i hear.... I have no personal experience with one).

YellowDogSVC
07-19-2008, 12:00 AM
i would be more concerned with the year of the 6.0L that the V10. '05+ 6.0's are alot better that the '03 and early '04's (from what i hear.... I have no personal experience with one).

6.0 in my opinion. Weak motor. I have an '05. It has seen more than a month in a the shop and I drive like your granny. I only have 48.5k miles and I got mine 11/04.

I think the turbo lag is terrible and there is virtually no turbo boost at high speeds pulling a trailer. I hauled 17k lbs today (truck and trailer combined) and I felt like I was stuck in mud all day. Truck checks out, though, on diagnostics. For what it is, if you get a good deal, I'm sure the diesel will outlast the v10 if you are pulling but it doesn't have the response my cummins or 7.3 had.

Keith
07-19-2008, 01:53 AM
I waited for the 6.0 after I heard the first rumors of it. I was set to buy a 2001 7.3 and decided I could get by a few more years. When it came out, and had all the problems, I waited some more. Finally in April 2004 I knew that I needed to make a decision and get a truck soon.

Not trusting the 6.0 completely, I ordered a V10. I have never regretted the decision. It has towed everything that I have thrown at it, and the only expense has been two sets of tire, oil, filters and ball joints. Oh, and gas :) I felt that one large repair with the questionable 6.0 would be enough to cause a nervous breakdown. Sure, the V10 could have been a lemon, but it's track record is about as good as it gets.

If diesel fuel and gasoline were about the same price, I'd probably look at a diesel for my next truck. But I'd keep the V10 just in case ;)

newtostone
07-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks keith and yellowdog thats what i was looking for, i have a 6.0 now and dont have many problems. but the only other gas truck i have used in this business was a small 5.2 ram v8 and my other trucks have been diesel. just afraid of buying a truck and having it just not be enough. i would need it to pull up to 12k but on the average day it will be pulling about 5-6k. (keith any idea what your getting for millage with your truck while working?)

mybowtie
07-19-2008, 10:28 AM
If you allready have a 6.0, without any issues, why do u wany to switch?
Diesel is deff a better puller.....:usflag:

YellowDogSVC
07-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks keith and yellowdog thats what i was looking for, i have a 6.0 now and dont have many problems.

Oops, I didn't read the first post well enough!

TXNSLighting
07-19-2008, 11:36 AM
6.0in my opinion. Weak motor. I have an '05. It has seen more than a month in a the shop and I drive like your granny. I only have 48.5k miles and I got mine 11/04.

Theres your problem! you have to be hard on the 6.0's then they will do great. babyin them will make them suck bad. im actually bein honest here.

TXNSLighting
07-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks keith and yellowdog thats what i was looking for, i have a 6.0 now and dont have many problems. but the only other gas truck i have used in this business was a small 5.2 ram v8 and my other trucks have been diesel. just afraid of buying a truck and having it just not be enough. i would need it to pull up to 12k but on the average day it will be pulling about 5-6k. (keith any idea what your getting for millage with your truck while working?)

06 and 07 6.0's were fantastic. Lotsa power and pretty good fuel mileage. My brother in law has an 06, and its been a perfect truck. Hes towed the 32' stock trailer a couple times that weighs in at almost 15k with ease.

J&R Landscaping
07-19-2008, 12:07 PM
I have an 06 f250 4x4 with the 6.0L in it. I like the truck a lot. I'm seeing between 13.75-15.25 mpg pulling a 6.5x16 trailer several days a week. I have heard some guys with the v-10's are getting 12-14mpg.

Keith
07-19-2008, 02:00 PM
keith any idea what your getting for millage with your truck while working?

It depends on where you are towing. Mine is almost entirely around town. My average speed according to the Scangauage is about 18mph, each and every day. Stop and go kills the mileage. So for me, I average about 9mpg. 10mpg is an extremely good tank, 8.25 is a bad one. The truck is an f350 Crew Cab 4x4 automatic with 4.30 gears.

newtostone
07-19-2008, 04:23 PM
I dont know why but for some reason i think i favor the v10, and i ride my 6.0 hard, i have heard thats the only way to keep it out of the garage. Maybe its because i know if i ever need to tow anything really heavy ill just use my 6.0 this will be in addition to my 6.0 not replacing it. And i always have a fear something is going to go wrong. I have tried to find a good condition 7.3 but thats pretty hard (really hard). Frankly the newer trucks scare the sh** out of me with what i hear they get for millage. i cant see buying a truck that will perform on the same level as my current truck and will cost more to operate. to me thats like stepping backwards.

Now many may say different but i also am tired of hearing my truck, i cant stand listening to a loud truck all day, or plowing. That along with the fact i dont think ill see much of a change in fuel millage is why i am favoring the gas. (my 6.0 only get 11-12 loaded but diesel cost more.)

Keith
07-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Off topic, What part of NY are you in? I actually ordered my truck and took delivery from a dealer outside of Rochester.

newtostone
07-19-2008, 05:23 PM
about 3 hours south, hudson valley

Grass Happens
07-19-2008, 08:56 PM
the newer cummings are the same way, they loveee to be rode hard. Kinda counter-intuitive when your talking about a 40K truck, but I guess the designers figure they are going to be used hard, and design around it....

TXNSLighting
07-19-2008, 09:10 PM
the newer cummings are the same way, they loveee to be rode hard. Kinda counter-intuitive when your talking about a 40K truck, but I guess the designers figure they are going to be used hard, and design around it....

cummins...

ddivinia
07-20-2008, 01:53 AM
I had a 7.3L - it was OK. Cam sensors were junk

Buddy of mine had a 6.0 in his excursion - it got replaced when a rod went thru the side of the block. A couple turbos here and there. I am sure the later 6.0s were better, but that one he had was a pile.

Gas or Diesel these days would be a hard call. I am going to keep my ole cummins. I figure the trans will blow up and the body might fall apart but it will keep on going.

D.

Dargo
07-22-2008, 09:44 AM
I actually have all three, 6.0 PSD (an '06 model), 6.8 V10, and older 5.9 Cummins. Between the 6.0 diesel and V10 6.8 Fords, there is positively no comparison on towing abilities; the 6.0 is far, far stronger if you're towing. If you don't tow any, I'd call it a toss up. I really like how smooth the 6.8 V10 is and it is reasonably responsive. For durability, it's the Cummins without a doubt. Zero issues. None. Zip. Nada. Almost never ever hear of anyone else having problems. The Ford 6.0 PSD of mine has had a couple of oil leaks fixed under warranty and an upgraded turbo replaced under warranty. There again, that is in 80k miles, so it's really not too bad. The 6.8 V10 is extremely well known for spitting out spark plugs. Some want to think that issue has been fixed. No way! All you have to do is type in "Ford spark plug" in Google. You'll see thousands of cases of the Ford modular engines (4.6, 5.4, and 6.8) spitting out spark plugs. The heads are just plain poorly designed. Although I've not had mine spit out a plug yet, it is always in the back of my mind and I have to change plugs in it every 30k miles. If I don't, they get stuck and the threads in the head will strip out if you leave them in too long. So much for spark plugs lasting 100k miles now....not on Fords.

My issue is that I actually do prefer the Ford trucks better. I don't particularly dislike the Dodge trucks but I do like the Ford trucks better. I've heard the new '08 and '09 GM trucks are better, but I just flat didn't care for any of the prior year late model trucks. That's just my personal opinion. I have heard some guys like the D'Max but they certainly are not immune to problems either. Anyway, between the Ford V10 and 6.0 PSD I'd say it would depend on whether I'm going to tow or not. The PSD is considerably better for towing medium to heavy loads but the 6.8 V10 will do okay towing lighter loads and is very smooth.