PDA

View Full Version : What kinds of work

DieselOnly
07-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, couldn't find any place that seemed more appropriate.

There's an '01 Dodge 1 ton dually dump truck near me for an excellent price. My question is, what kinds of work in the landscaping business for a 1 ton dump? I was thinking mulching, pattios, driveways, and other things of the such. What kind of demand is there for these kinds of things? What kinds of licenses and such would I need to operate legally. Being a 1 ton, it should be under CDL, but since it is driving for hire, I don't know.

Thanks.

DieselOnly
07-18-2008, 11:49 PM
I should also add that I am 16 years old, and would like to get started next year. Maybe see if I can get an after-school job this fall after I get my license (at least August, going to wait until October), and save up enough money for a used mower and weedeater. If anyone can give me direction, please do.

bohiaa
07-19-2008, 06:11 PM
depending on the aspects of the business you were in, dictates the equiptment you purchase, some consider paving landscapeing and I'm sure it can be, as in driveways,

simple lawn care this much truck would go to waste..

CAT powered
07-19-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm going to say this.

If you don't know what kind of work you would have for it. DON'T BUY IT.
If you don't have work for the truck you shouldn't be buying it.

That's like going out and spending tons of cash on a space suit just in case you ever get randomly called by NASA to go on a mission.

Not trying to be mean here, but if you don't have work for it you shouldn't spend on it.

mowerbrad
07-19-2008, 08:43 PM
If you are serious about doing landscape work this truck could be perfect for you. If you will be mowing the dumpbox will be great to throw grass in the back of (easy unloading). Also for fall clean-ups, you could put a truck loader on it have a great leaf truck. Delivering mulch would be almost perfect for that truck. But don't get in over your head and spend loads of money on it, when you might not use it. BTW what is the asking price?

DeepGreenLawn
07-19-2008, 08:54 PM
and what kind of shape is it in? You got to keep in mind it is more than a regular truck you got all the hydraulic systems and all, PLUS insurance, you may need a special license to drive it, once you go over a certain weight, the list goes on and on. Start with a truck and trailer and go from there. Like CAT was saying, I would start with something else, that is something you buy when you know you will need it non stop. Fuel is going to eat you alive I am sure.

16? I am not bashing your age, but... unless you are homeschooled or something that truck will probably be sitting too long to make good money off of it due to school and all and then you got to get through this fall and winter too.

Good luck.

mowerbrad
07-19-2008, 09:17 PM
I don't think you'll need a CDL or any other license since it is only a 1 ton 3500, it will be the same as driving a dually pick-up except with a dump box.

DeepGreenLawn
07-19-2008, 09:19 PM
the dump box is what has me questioning. You may be right but he should definitely check it out.

DieselOnly
07-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Dumpbox shouldn't put it in CDL range, weight definently doesn't, but driving for hire might.

Asking price is 4-5000, it's in what appears to be perfect condition. It's a STEAL! As for wether I have a use for it or not, I can use it for personal use anyways, but, it could be good for getting into something like landscaping with. My only problem with landscaping is all the local big name companies. There's at least 2-3 huge ones locally here.

Mowerbrad, that was exactly my thought process. Could make for easy composting too.

As for sitting too much to make money, it'd see more use than just work.

How does this sound as for services:
Mowing
Rototilling Gardens
Spring Clean up
Fall clean up
Patios
Retaining walls
Mulching
Driveway resurfacing (gravel/dirt)

Any ideas on how to get around the big companies that have multiple multi-person crews? Or should I just find some other thing to do?

Thanks for the tips and ideas.

DeepGreenLawn
07-19-2008, 09:45 PM
don't pay any attention to them. Customer are looking for two things, price and service. The big companies might have the price but service is usually nowhere to be found. Take care of your customers, price accordingly, and you should be good to go.

Could make for easy composting too.

Now your talking... hold on I will PM you.

OH, and where did you get your name?

DieselOnly
07-19-2008, 09:51 PM
OH, and where did you get your name?

From my (some could call it obsessive) fascination with Diesel engines, technology, and performance. That's one of the reasons I want that truck, to play with an Edge programmer on.

DeepGreenLawn
07-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Have you looked into biodiesel at all? You may not be able to do a lot with everything that typically goes on at your age, but with the rising prices, something else to keep in mind later on.

Life is life, your age is going to be your biggest problem I think. I may be wrong. Just don't give up.

Good luck,

DieselOnly
07-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Yup, looked into it, but finding a consistant source of oil is not easy, not to mention all the legal mumbo-jumbo.

DeepGreenLawn
07-19-2008, 11:35 PM
I know what you mean, all the restaraunts around here seem to be taken as well. Best bet I guess are new ones.

topsites
07-19-2008, 11:37 PM
That's like going out and spending tons of cash on a space suit just in case you ever get randomly called by NASA to go on a mission.

Omg what do you mean I spent a lot of money on just such a suit for exactly that reason!
It's a very nice suit and the price was super, plus the man who sold it to me said for sure
NASA would likely call one day, too!

But I like your answer, I just wish more folks had an appreciation for this kind of truth.
So yeah, I would think most business owners don't buy stuff just because the price is good,
and that's no matter how good the price thou on that note I don't even look at stuff I don't need.

That's not to say I don't make some mistakes, but as a rule at least they're in the direction of things I have at least some use for, that is before I even make the purchase.

DieselOnly
07-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Well, I'm not getting the truck. Turns out, the saying if it's too good to be true, it probably is, still holds true. After sending the seller a message, I've found it's a scam.

DeepGreenLawn
07-20-2008, 11:09 PM
That SUCKS! Still can do the work we talked about with the truck you got and a trailer. Just more manual labor involved. Like I said, I wish I had a truck like that but... just can't justify it yet.

Sorry to hear the bad news, hope you didn't lose anything over it.

bohiaa
07-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Dumpbox shouldn't put it in CDL range, weight definently doesn't, but driving for hire might.

Asking price is 4-5000, it's in what appears to be perfect condition. It's a STEAL! As for wether I have a use for it or not, I can use it for personal use anyways, but, it could be good for getting into something like landscaping with. My only problem with landscaping is all the local big name companies. There's at least 2-3 huge ones locally here.

Mowerbrad, that was exactly my thought process. Could make for easy composting too.

As for sitting too much to make money, it'd see more use than just work.

How does this sound as for services:
Mowing
Rototilling Gardens
Spring Clean up
Fall clean up
Patios
Retaining walls
Mulching
Driveway resurfacing (gravel/dirt)

Any ideas on how to get around the big companies that have multiple multi-person crews? Or should I just find some other thing to do?

Thanks for the tips and ideas.

All that glitters is NOT GOLD......

I can get a Crane for 30,000.00

BUT what the heck would I do with it ?

DieselOnly
07-21-2008, 02:27 AM
Yeah, if I decide to take the leap, I'll just use the trailer that I have available and my truck.

Didn't loose anything. I was really looking into it for personal use, not for making a landscaping company on, but, it was a side-effect idea that came to me. You know, a 1/2 ton pick-up isn't that great for hauling gravel in the bed, filling in holes in the driveway. So, if I decide to do this next year, I hope to get a trimmer and mower this off-season so I can start next year.