PDA

View Full Version : Ramrod attachments, where to buy?

Shady Brook
07-19-2008, 04:35 PM
I am looking hard at the mini-skids, and really want to get one. The companay with the most impressive unit on paper, with maybe the exception of the sk650, is the 1150 Ramrod. Even more interesting is the aray of implements. They have a huge light material bucket that lists at 18 cubic foot. They also have a high lift dump bucket that would go into most dump trucks, and many other cool attachments.

The question.....where do you buy these things? I do not know of any dealers, nor can I seem to find any listings for them. I assume they are pretty big in Canada, but around here, they are non existant.

Even if I did not get a Ramrod unit, I would like to get a hold of some of their cool attachments and put them on another unit of a different type.

Any help would be great.

RTR Landscaping
07-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Go with a Toro Dingo. They have several models and over 35 attachments. We own a TX 425 and love it!

Shady Brook
07-22-2008, 06:46 AM
I understand the Toro is a great unit, and I may actually buy one, but I like some of the Ramrod attachments. Their product line seems more extensive then the other brands, and since the tools are interchangeable, I thought I might look at my options.

AJ Lawnscapes
07-22-2008, 06:48 AM
I've used the Dingo many times, and personally, after using the Bobcat Mini-Skid, wouldn't buy a Toro.

The Bobcat is so much fast, lifts so much more and is hella quiet.

Go with your gut, whatever you like, just might be the one.

Lawnworks
07-22-2008, 07:07 PM
I would consider any brand except Ramrod and boxer. I think the dingo, vermeer, bobcat, and dw are all on the same playing field.

BrandonV
07-22-2008, 07:12 PM
if you plan on putting major hours on it you NEED to go w/ the main brands, regardless of brand you'll need parts and repairs. I've had both DW and bobcats, they'll stand behind them and keep you up and running. btw if you can afford the dw buy it, you'll thank me later. and btw the ram rod attachments should fit other models, that high dump bucket is a nifty idea, if you don't tip over first.

Shady Brook
07-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the replys fellas.

I called up the Ramrod home office, and they put me in contact with a dealer about an hour and a half a way, and also a representative who is trying to establish dealers in the midwest. I got a hold of the rep late in the day, and he was more the willing to change his schedual and bring me a unit the very same evening. The rep was a very friendly guy, who wanted to help any way possible, and I appreciated that. He was willing to leave the unit with me for an extended length of time......well, apparantly the boss had a different time frame in mind. So, the rep calls the next day to come an pick up the machine. He was willing to bring it back again, and work it out so I could keep it a couple days.... nice guy.

Ok, so I look at the unit... 1150 model, and it is no doubt a chunk of steel. Very heavy duty looking, albeit a bit dirty, with some possible seeps at hose connections, but I could not be sure. The unit at 40 hours on it, so it is basically new. The throttle cable was already screwed up, and had to be bungied. The tracks were a bit loose, so I tightend them up.

The unit is very compact... It is 80.4" with the bucket. The unit came with a lug type track.

The controls....very touchy, but I am sure it is an aquired skill to drive the two lever steer system. I utterly hate this design. Trying to work into a pile and drive forward, while curling the bucket......Maybe a 10 year old Nintendo master could work the controls all at once, but I don't see myself doing this. Compared to my utility tractor, it is a nightmare.

The unit boasts great power on paper, and the rep told me about the wonderful hydralic flow....It is a 6 or 12 gpm flow with inline pumps. You control the flow to the tracks or loader via a lever. I do not think you can drive into a pile and curl your bucket at the same time, even if you are a Nintendo master, it just does not have the guts. It bogs down something fierce will using both levers. I have to think this design is stone age compared to some of the other models.

The short wheelbase felt very tippy, all the time to me. Any undulations, or loader work had me bouncing around like a bobber. I do not see how you could use the Herculean lifting power with the instability.

The track are so aggressive that they left imprinted tread marks in dry turf going straight. These tracks can only be used at a new construction site.

To me, I do not know how anyone could really make money with this unit. The work I did yesterday with my utility tractor would leave this unit sitting on the truck.

I do still like the looks of the attachments, but thought I would post my experience with the ramrod since so many of you have given valuable input on other machines.

SB