PDA

View Full Version : How much $ for laying brick

Petey's Landscaping
07-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey all, I have hired some masons to lay a 30' wall/3' tall and 15 steps (about 2400 modular brick) made of clay brick and mortar. I am supplying all the materials, pouring the footers, del. sand, etc. They just have to show up and lay brick. We had a verbal agreement on a price of 3250.00 minus materials. The materials are about 1600.00. Leaving them 1650.00 which gives them 687.5 per 1000 brick, they went behind my back and told the homeowner they needed more money. They told him they needed at least 3250.00 for just labor which is about 1326.00 per a 1000 brick. I am not sure what to do about this problem, does anyone have any suggestions?

JimmyStew
07-19-2008, 08:04 PM
If they were supposed to be working for you - FIRE THEM QUICKLY!

PatriotLandscape
07-19-2008, 08:06 PM
FIre them and appologize to the customer. Next time hire better sub's.

Petey's Landscaping
07-19-2008, 08:15 PM
I thought about that, but they are about 2/3 of the way done. So do I let them finish an give them the money we agreed on, or fire them pay them nothing and use that money to hire new masons, or what?

ANC Stone Creations
07-19-2008, 08:32 PM
You don't need people (contractors) like that around.

Would have to agree with Jimmy and Patriot, fire them.

When you choose a contractor look at some of there work and maybe even contact some past clients to see what they may have to say about them.

Good luck in the future.

Petey's Landscaping
07-19-2008, 10:43 PM
I was given their name by the people I buy all of my Belgard materials from. The first masons I hired never did show up so after waiting 2 weeks for that crew to show up the home owner was getting upset. I asked my suppliers if they would recommend someone and this is what I got. I will know better next time around. They are planning on working tomorrow to finish up, do you think they are going to be upset when their check is less that what they want?

ANC Stone Creations
07-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Did not realize you had problems prior to this current contractor.

If I was you I would pound the pavement to find a real mason, most contractors I have met can talk the talk but not walk the walk.

Besides all that it comes back to poor job management on your part.
Don't wait till the last minute to try to find someone to sub work out to.
GO LUCK AT SOME OF THERE WORK IN PERSON.

ALLWAYS have a backup plan, because remember in the end YOUR name is on the line.

ANC Stone Creations
07-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Not trying to be rude or an ass.

This is a serious issue though.

shovelracer
07-19-2008, 11:42 PM
If you are subbing them for the labor than why are you giving them a price for the job minus materials. All they need to know is how long they have to complete it and how much they will get paid. Any other information is not their business. Honestly though the pricing seems low for the labor.

Petey's Landscaping
07-20-2008, 12:21 AM
You guys are right, I should have did my homework, but the home owner was getting upset because no one was there working. The worst thing is I cann't do my work until they get done with theirs. This is why I never use sub's. The avg. price for brick installed around here is somewhere between 650.00-700.00 per 1000. We try to do everything ourselves so we don't have to worry about anyone else.

SuperDuty335
07-20-2008, 12:54 AM
Here in NC you can get an experienced crew for $650/1000.

JimmyStew
07-20-2008, 11:18 AM
I was given their name by the people I buy all of my Belgard materials from.

I would also talk to your supplier so they don't recommend these people to anyone else. It doesn't matter how good they are or are not, nor does it matter how much money they think they should be making. The made an agreement to do the job for a certain amount and they made that agreement for you. The fact that they went over you and talked directly to the homeowner is a serious breach of ethics! I can't imagine how furious I would be if a sub did that to me.

I understand your dilemma seeing that they are part way done with the project and that the homeowners are anxious to have the work done. It is unfortunate because you probably can't afford to get someone else in to finish the job, but these clowns really need to be shown the door - and hard.

PatriotLandscape
07-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Smells like you didn't have a contract. tisk tisk. Now your screwed.

Make the hard call and let them know that you will have someone else finish the job and then back charge them for the new crew plus your time to find them. Unless you are a hard ass this is a tough call but don't get pushed around it is your job and your name.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
07-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Let them finish the work if they are already 2/3rds done, because finding someone to finish their work might be harder. Pay them what you had agreed upon and wash your hands of it. And next time have your sub's sign off on the agreed amount that way you have something to fall back on if it happens again.

PatriotLandscape
07-20-2008, 07:49 PM
letting them finish the work without an agreed upon price will give them a case in court. Do not let them finish until you have an agreement.

If you have the job finished by someone else take their cut out of the agreed price.

Contracts Contracts Contracts. Sub or not he needed to give you a piece of paper with his bid. it takes two seconds.

howierd3866
07-20-2008, 08:03 PM
I agree get rid of them but the only down side is you don't have anything in writting so if they don't agree with your price now and you pay them then the will go and put a lien on the house and your homeowner will be mad even more

Sunscaper
07-21-2008, 05:08 PM
I would let them finish like nothing happened and whne they're done pay them the original amount and tell them to NEVER call you again for further work due to their unprofessionalism with the customer. Chances are since they are not bright enough to provie their own materials they are not even licensed contractors. More than likely they work for someone else and are doing this work for you on the side. This means they cannot lagelly lein the property and more than likely don't even know what a lein is. Turn the job out and burn them out!

MRBsx2
07-21-2008, 06:37 PM
i think you may of had a miss understanding with them there is no way they would be laying 2400 brick that cheap and having to build steps...i lay brick all the time im a mason by trade and there is no way i can imagine anyone working that cheap. Deffinetly next time have it in writing everytime i work for other contractors we have signed contracts prevents all of this head ach and angor towards one another.

Petey's Landscaping
07-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Guess who pulled off the job to start another one, the masons! As far as having a contract with subs, I am to trusting of people. You can see where that got me. We did reach an agreement of money, but now they want 1000.00 to cover the work that they have done so far. Of course I did not give it to them. What makes it worst is that I can not do anything that I am contracted to do(backfill, plants, sidewalk) until the masons get done. They started; wed. 5 hrs 3 guys, thurs. 6 hrs. 3 guys, fri. 5 hrs. 3 guys, sat. 7 hrs.5 guys. They have 1 wall(15'x3') done about 600 brick, 1 landing and 4 steps (the steps are 16"x 5'), and one more small wall that is 6'x3'. I will take some pictures for everyone to see tomorrow.

Sunscaper
07-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Can you find anyone else to finish? I would begin to look and give those other jerks the difference in what is left in your budget after paying the new masons.

Petey's Landscaping
07-22-2008, 03:12 PM
That is what I am doing right now. I took a few pictures will have them uploaded in a bit.

PatriotLandscape
07-23-2008, 07:33 PM
I am to trusting of people. You can see where that got me.

Your in business fir the money not to make friends. no contract no work. good luck but I bet this one will bite you in the ass and not be settled for months. You also if not already will start to piss the customer off.