PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Dixie, 72" Question

Duncan IN
01-15-2002, 06:44 PM
Question for you Dixie Chopper Diesel Owners!?!

Here is my situation and question

I am looking to buy a new mower - 72", need one that will have ample power, and longevity. I currently own a Scag Turf Tiger 61", I know I don't want a 72" scag because you can not stripe with one. (My Opinon from what I have seen) I am currently looking at the Dixie chopper 72" Diesel. I would like to have the 41 horse but is the 26 ample? Is the bigger diesel worth the extra $$ and how much fuel does it consume over the 26 hp. Also about what price range should I be able to talk a dealer down to? I have heard they are around 15k. Has anybody heard much about the 26 hp gas EFI engine. Does it have the power to handle the 72" Deck?

I know I have asked alot of ?'s but any info to help me decide what to buy would be greatly appreciated

lee b
01-15-2002, 07:58 PM
Eric said in one of his post that his 26efi handles a 60" deck and a flex deck as good as the 26 diesel handles just a 60" deck. I think with the flex deck he's mowing 78", so the EFI must have alot more power than the 26 diesel.

Mowingman
01-15-2002, 08:22 PM
I got a 26hp/72" Dixie to demo for a couple of days last spring. I used it in some pretty thick, tall grass and it seemed to have plenty of power for the 72" deck. THe 41hp engine seems like overkill to me. I ended up purchasing a Grasshopper 428D midmount machine. It has the 72" deck and a 28hp Kubota diesel. The Kubota is a LOT QUIETER than the Yanmar on the Dixie. You should check out the Grasshopper if you have a dealer nearby. Mine has done great this past season.:D

MONTE
01-15-2002, 09:20 PM
DIXIE CHOPPER does not build a 26hp 72" diesel anymore, they quit last fall! If you are looking at one it is an older machine.

WREBELMACHINE
01-15-2002, 09:47 PM
The 26hp diesel 72" Dixie is not in the new 2002 cataloge

Duncan IN
01-15-2002, 09:50 PM
Well, since they don't make a 26 hp diesel anymore, that narrows my choice to either the 26hp efi gas engine or the 41hp diesel. I will be mowing alot of flat land I currently mow at least 30 acres and I am bidding on a school that has 15 acres.

My scag has a 27 hp Kaw Liquid Cooled engine and I noticed a few times last year it bogged down when mowing wet grass and tall grass. Seems like a 26hp efi with a 72 in deck would bog down at times.

How much does the 72" 41 hp diesel run? I have been unable to find out yet

MONTE
01-15-2002, 10:04 PM
Down here in SW Missouri they are selling DIXIE XXWE5000 for $16,500.
You might take a good look at a BLADERUNNER diesel!

Mowingman
01-15-2002, 10:16 PM
I called the DC factory in Nov. and was told the 26hp diesel was still avail. even though it was not shown on their website. I suggest you call the factory to get the latest info on that engine. Maybe they are just building them until they run out of engines in their warehouse.

weve
01-15-2002, 11:42 PM
The 60" Dixie with 26HP Yanmar is also not listed in their new catalog, but I have a new one on order. Check with your dealer rep or the factory. The XFD2600-60 that I used the past two seasons had plenty of power, a lot more than my previous Dixie with 25HP Kohler.

beck
01-16-2002, 12:49 AM
What about the suburban turb'n.
Last I heard it had twin 20 HP engines but were going to twin 23 HP.
Just another option.

scott's turf
01-16-2002, 09:01 AM
How does the actual cost of the diesel compare to the gasoline engine? If it is 3X the cost it should last 3X as long to break even. Unless the reason for the diesel is for the extra power, which sounds like the advantage is not the great. Is it possible that the diesel will out live the mower?

TLS
01-16-2002, 10:40 AM
Buy a 72" LC Daihatsu gas or diesel (31 or 27hp) EXMARK LAZER XP. They just happen to list every single piece of equipment they sell on their website and their "free if you ask for it" literature.

Dixie builds an OK mower, but their brochures, catalogs, and website leave a LOT to be desired. They make so many mid year changes, that its hard to tell exactly what your gonna get if you order something!

Really think over your purchase, don't just buy due to the hype!

Duncan IN
01-16-2002, 12:33 PM
I was wondering if Dixie Chopper's foactory allows you to take a tour and see what they have to offer? I have heard that eric has been there a couple of times and I would like to take a trip up there and see all that they have to offer. I am from IN so I will not have a far drive. Do they have tours of the factory?

weve
01-16-2002, 01:33 PM
In the Fall of '99, I talked to my Dixie dealer rep for Illinios and he arranged a personal tour for me at the factory. I was there for a couple of hours and saw all aspects of the production process. I even got to drive a model that I later purchased.

gorrell
01-16-2002, 03:25 PM
Duncan, I would recommend you get the Suburb'n Turb'n which according to Art Evans is the "best bang for the buck" that DC currently produces. I've got 4 of them(one for sale) and haven't found anything that will keep up with them, let alone outmow them! The last one(a 2001 demo) was purchased for $9000 and it only had 135 hours and it looks like brand new and has an additional years warranty. I personally don't like water cooled lawn mowers(and I've owned 3 of them) because of the tendenacy for overheating. We mow some huge industrial sites and when I had my water cooled machines we were constantly stopping every 10-15 minutes to clean the radiator screens. Another 10-15 min. the same thing. Also for the amount of work a Suburb'n Turb'n does it's nearly as economial to run as a diesel. A turb'n can easily mow 6 acres/hour all day on around 9 gallons of gas, which figures out to around 36 acres(6 hrs. mowing) on 9 gallons of gas or .4gl/acre. Pretty economical. Demo a Turb'n before you make up your mind................Lynn

Duncan IN
01-17-2002, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the post it was helpfull, I know the suburban turb'n is a mean machine. I have some questions about them though. How hard is it to equal out each engine after starting, How long does that take? Also about what kind of price would I be looking at for a 2002? I have narrowed my search down to the Suburban Turb'n 2x23hp and the 41 hp Diesel. I know the price is really high on the diesel and I am going to check out the Twins here soon. What is the cheapest you have bought one for?

Thanks again for all the info.

gorrell
01-17-2002, 11:49 AM
Levi, the equalization process is really simple and takes only seconds to get them "in tune". Even if you didn't have the guages you can easily hear when they are synchronized. I just bought a 2001 repo from the DC web site and gave $9000. The machine had just a little over 140 hours and is perfect. You have to make the purchase thru a dealer, but they sell it to the individual for the price that's listed on the website. I gave $9000 last year for a 1999 with demo hours and I traded in a 1997 Scag STHM and a 1998 Scag Magnum 3 for my third one last summer. It's also a 1999 which had 220 hours and I gave $2700 difference. Look around and you can find one for $9-10,000, which is considerably less than the suggested list of $13,800. Any more questions that I can answer please feel free to ask. Lynn

Duncan IN
01-17-2002, 04:50 PM
Is the model # on the ones you have xxw4000 - 72? I am still trying to figure out all those mumbers. I about have it. What is better about the xxw4600-72? Spec sheets say that is has two 23hp Kohlers but rated at 40 hp

This is from a spec sheet -- "Twenty-three horsepower output at 3600 rpm for each engine for a total of 40 hp (Dixie Choppers are approved to run at 3750 rpm)"

Why the switch to the 23 hp engines if rated the same?

Would the new deck on the new mowers be worth buying?

I looked on their website and found a xxw4000 - 72 for 9,000 Did you contact your local dealer to find out how to buy one and how many hours are on them? Did you get to see yours and test it out before you bought it?

Also I read that you can operate these machines on one engine have you ever moved your mower around with one engine running I know I wouldn't try to mow with just one. But was wondering about unloading and things like that. How dependable are those 20hp Kohlers? Have you heard of other people having problems with them? If so what are the problems?

Lynn, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, I know I have alot of them in there this time. If any body else has any answers to these questions I would like to hear from you too!

Thanks!!!!

gorrell
01-18-2002, 09:44 AM
Levi, I've found the Suburb'n Turbn's to be very, very productive machines. The new model #xxw4600-72 does indeed use two 23 hp Kohlers and it does produce 46 hp vs. 40 hp on the xxw4000-72, sometimes DC's website doesn't get upgrades as it should. Last summer one of my machines had a governor spring break and one motor lost a valve before we could get it shut down. We ran that particular machine about a week on one engine while we waited for parts. It will work on one engine, but ground speed obviously suffers. The machine I bought recently is the one you saw on DC's website, and no I didn't get to try it out. I was told that the machine was completely checked out at the factory, so I believe them. As for the new grey deck, Art Evans told me at the St. Louis bbq that the new deck stripes as well at 4" as the old deck did at 3". Totally different design. I'll tell you more later when I start using my new flatlander which has the grey deck. I hope I've answered all your questions...............Lynn

Duncan IN
03-28-2002, 08:49 PM
Well I finally decided on a mower I got a 2002 xxwd5000. It should arrive in about two weeks. I can't wait to start mowing this year! I purchased this mower for 14k before taxes! I feel I got an excellant deal I think.