PDA

View Full Version : stuped things done on the job

A+Elawnservice
01-15-2002, 08:24 PM
what did you do on a job tht was stuped tell me any thing

scagman
01-15-2002, 08:30 PM
Blower quit working one day after doing a yard. ai didnt have a broom so I fired up the w/b engaged the blades and went up an down the sidewalks. It wasnt working very well, then the owner came out and asked what I was doing and he let me use his blower to finish. I felt pretty dumb!!!

TLS
01-15-2002, 08:57 PM
Hey Scagman,

That isn't such a bad idea, sometimes I do that so I don't need my blower! You should have told him that you were concerned that the sidewalk was getting a little LONG!!!!

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
01-15-2002, 09:59 PM
The throttle on my trimmer was to high so the head would spin even though the gas wasn't pressed. I was holding the trimmer when I bent down to pick something up.....thats when I pulled the trimmer head up against my leg...didnt feel very good but I got over it.

plow kid
01-15-2002, 10:55 PM
I peed in the bushes!! J/K LOL

seriously though I .......ran over a weed whip with the truck.

JimLewis
01-16-2002, 04:37 AM
I am sure I've done worse things but I can't remember right now.

Anyway, a few years ago I told my guys to start mowing a certain property. We weren't on the street. And I was too busy to look up the address so I just described which house (next door to a current client). They somehow misunderstood and mowed the wrong lawn. The crazy thing is this went on for like 3-4 weeks. Finally, the client who we were SUPPOSED to be mowing called and complained. All the while, the wrong house never once called to let me know, even though we give out checklists on every visit with our phone number on them. Guess they weren't going to ruin a good thing. :-)

As it turned out though, the wrong house got so used to us doing it that they called (once we finally stopped doing it for free) and asked how much it would be to continue. I quoted it and we've been mowing it ever since.

So the moral of the story is if you want more customers, just start arbitrarily mowing some lawn every week and be sure to leave your number each time. Then quit one day and you'll get a new customer. LOL :D

rodfather
01-16-2002, 08:28 AM
Once I wasn't paying much attention and put blades for my 52" WB on my 61" WB. Needless to say, the cut wasn't too great until I discovered what I had done.

scott's turf
01-16-2002, 08:49 AM
It would have to be those "stuped" spelling mistakes.

JK

lawncare
01-16-2002, 09:26 AM
:blush: Mowing a cust lawn and she didn't have the money this particuliar time so after about 2 weeks begging for my 100 bucks. She lets me in and say 1 moment ill go get it needless to say when she came back she was looking so good I broke the lawnman first rule of business. I got my money worth and haven't cut that yard since. I should've took the money instead of the honey:rolleyes:

walker-talker
01-16-2002, 09:32 AM
you beat me to it Scott.........lol

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-16-2002, 11:02 AM
Once I cover a street with grass. It was pretty dry. Was too lazy to use the blower, so I got in my van and drove up and down the street a few times doing about 50 in a 25. Needless to say, a cop was parked a few houses down and saw the whole thing. When I drove by him he was laughing and scratching his head.

LAWNS AND MOWER

FERT REP
01-16-2002, 01:40 PM
My question to you(A&E) is how on your profile did you age 8 yrs. since Mon.? Please advise as I would like to collect social security by April (currently I am 32) Your input is appreciated!

Heavenly Green
01-16-2002, 02:26 PM
I let my helper change the blades on my lazer z
got half way done on the first account and then noticed somthing
wasnt right those were the ugliest lines Ive ever seen so I went
over to the trailer proped the mower up to take a look and the
idiot put all 3 blades on upside down.It took A couple weeks for
the mistake to disapear.

Another stupid occurance was doing 50mph down the
road hit a bump looked in my side mirror and seeing my brand
new sthil stick edger tumbling down the road because of the 3
of us thought the other person closed the holder racks luckily
just a little road rash on it. This also happens 2 or 3 times with
the gate on the trailer "Who put the pin in? I thought you did and
so on. Its pretty embarasing. But so is my spelling LOL.

STEVE @ S&S HEAVENLY GREEN LAWNS "LLC":D

walker-talker
01-16-2002, 09:40 PM
When I use to landscape we had a "fuel truck" that would go around and fuel all the diesel equipment. The truck it self ran out of gasoline and the guy pumped diesel gas into the truck. Not sure what ever happened. I know the truck still ran later, but I am sure he got into heaps of trouble.

MATT

CPLLTT
01-17-2002, 12:39 AM
Here's one of my smart moves.........
I was spraying Roundup in a big patch of weeds and walking thru them at the same time, I then turned and walked across the clients lawn. The Roundup transferred from my shoes onto the lawn and there were yellow footprints on it for the rest of the year!

awm
01-17-2002, 08:57 AM
latest ,hit a gas pipe that i had been avoiding all day.
mowed half day w one blade upside down,duh. of course i blamed the mower
trim w shorts on an got an old time mama switching from the trimmer.
drive all over town w trailor hitch connection not pushed down.shh. came loose in daughters yd. thanku lord.
shall i go on, naw yaw didnt think i wus a rocket scientist anyway.
huh,:D later now

Foster
01-17-2002, 03:00 PM
I pulled this stunt just this fall... I'm on a Ferris walkbehind with a Velke attachment. I'm trying to get underneath this dwarf apple tree. I drove around it and left about 4" strip around the ring of the tree. Instead of getting the line trimmer, I thought I could just reach it if I just duck down a bit. Well, I did get the tuft of grass as I ducked. I then backed up only to get my feet caught between the velke and the mower as the velke spun around. I thought for a split second that my ankle was gonna break, so I let go of the machine and it slams into the tree, putting a very nice bite into the tree. Very professional!

mdb landscaping
01-17-2002, 03:21 PM
i was mowing a customers lawn, and hit my head on a low lying tree branch. i watch out for that branch evertime, but this time i mustve been thinking of something else. almost knocked myself unconcious and was swearing at myself wobbling up and down on the front lawn. i mustve looked stupid.

walker-talker
01-17-2002, 08:59 PM
Mowing around an elm tree and poked eyeball with a branch (not wearing safety glasses). Could not see for 3 days. Scared me! I wear glasses 100% of the time now, no matter what I am doing!

MATT

odin
01-17-2002, 09:12 PM
I guess changeing blades is on the job to
I cut the heck of of my hand changeing blades stupitly half doing it ,and in a hurry.
When it comes to safty never get in a hurry

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-18-2002, 12:06 PM
Once placed my hand on the muffler of my Toro 44in. Had a belt slip off and was looking under the deck. Not smart. Took my brain too long to tell my hand that it was hot. Haven't done it since!!!! Gripping a cold beer with my burnt palm was about the only relief I got.

LAWNS AND MOWER

awm
01-19-2002, 09:02 AM
mdb that brought back memories. one fella told me i ought to never get knocked out in a scrap,after i hit a low hanging limb with mower going good pace.i was use to the limb but theres always possibility of distraction. with me anyway.
wobbled a little but no knockout:) .
i suggested real strong to the homeowner that we eliminate tha hazzard to her kids. she smiled a little an let me cut it.
later now

jerry johnston
01-19-2002, 09:18 AM
I started my mowing business two years ago, when out and got 12 accounts, I bought a new mower and related equipment. I went out to the first clients house, which was built on a hill.
I mowed to the bottom of the hill and dropped the mower in a very large covered gully.

I worked two hours to get the mower out, and finally went and got 60 feet of cable and a come-along.
I got the mower out in five min. I don't feel so bad now though, I saw where someone else on this site got struck.

Always carry the right tools!!!!