PDA

View Full Version : Richdel Valve Repair

Sunny Boy
07-20-2008, 03:12 PM
I have an older Rain Bird irrigation system with above-ground "jar-head" Richdel 1" valves. One of the valves only works when I open it slightly or loosen the bleed screw. When I do so it leaks water, but I get good pressure. I replaced the diaphram in that valve. Seemed to work for a while, then it went back to the open valve or bleed screw scenario. I am running the other three valves closed. They are functioning, but leaking when opened. Are there O rings and seals that should be replaced in these valves that might solve my problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)

Rotor_Tool
07-20-2008, 03:20 PM
I have an older Rain Bird irrigation system with above-ground "jar-head" Richdel 1" valves. One of the valves only works when I open it slightly or loosen the bleed screw. When I do so it leaks water, but I get good pressure. I replaced the diaphram in that valve. Seemed to work for a while, then it went back to the open valve or bleed screw scenario. I am running the other three valves closed. They are functioning, but leaking when opened. Are there O rings and seals that should be replaced in these valves that might solve my problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)

With above ground valves requiring no digging and all of them leaking, I would cut them out and replace them all. Start with a clean slate.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-20-2008, 03:25 PM
new valves.......

NEEEEEEXXXXXXT

Wet_Boots
07-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Try a repair with an identical valve, which you can find at home centers. Swap the guts and see what happens.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Try a repair with an identical valve, which you can find at home centers. Swap the guts and see what happens.

Modern medicine. By the way the way a Texas legend passed away without much fanfare Dr. DeBakey.

Mike Leary
07-20-2008, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=FIMCO-MEISTER;2427279 By the way the way a Texas legend passed away without much fanfare Dr. DeBakey.[/QUOTE]

Fanfare from me......he helped. :clapping:

Sunny Boy
07-20-2008, 06:51 PM
With above ground valves requiring no digging and all of them leaking, I would cut them out and replace them all. Start with a clean slate.

Sounds like that may be the best way to go. Thanks.

EagleLandscape
07-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Sounds like that may be the best way to go. Thanks.

Just shut off the water before:)

Sunny Boy
07-23-2008, 05:23 PM
I was able to get some friendly advice from a local irrigation supply house that is not adverse to dispensing such advice to homeowners without charging for a service call. I switched the solenoid from a working valve and (sure enough) that was the problem. I spent $7.40 for a new solenoid, tightened jar heads, bleed screws, adjusted the flow screw on each valve, and now I'm back in business.:waving:

Mike Leary
07-23-2008, 05:27 PM
I was able to get some friendly advice from a local irrigation supply house that is not adverse to dispensing such advice to homeowners without charging for a service call.

Give us the name of the supply house, we'll boycott!

Wet_Boots
07-23-2008, 05:36 PM
They will certainly get none of my business!

AI Inc
07-24-2008, 05:58 AM
Give us the name of the supply house, we'll boycott!

Why do you want to boycott a supply house thats protecting the industry?

Wet_Boots
07-24-2008, 06:32 AM
We can't have supply houses giving out friendly advice - we want all attitude all the time!

AI Inc
07-24-2008, 06:33 AM
We can't have supply houses giving out friendly advice - we want all attitude all the time!

To homeowners no, to contractors , yes.

Kiril
07-24-2008, 09:07 AM
To homeowners no, to contractors , yes.

Based on some of the "advice" I've seen supply houses give, I think you want it the other way around. Consider it job security. :laugh:

AI Inc
07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Based on some of the "advice" I've seen supply houses give, I think you want it the other way around. Consider it job security. :laugh:

True, Im sure right about now Peter is ready to send that black module advice somewhere good.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-24-2008, 08:52 PM
True, Im sure right about now Peter is ready to send that black module advice somewhere good.

Actually I called the guy and told him what happened. He was most appreciative. Now he has a knowledge that his peers lack.