PDA

View Full Version : What does turbo failure sound like?

bobcat_ron
07-20-2008, 04:25 PM
For the last 3 days, I get a loud, ear piercing whistle from my turbo on my '05 Ford PSD that starts from 0.5 psi and stops at just over 10.5 psi of turbo boost, it's loud, I mean people are staring, and not just at my freakish handsome rugged good looks, I mean kids and babies are screaming with their hands over their ears as I pull up and take off from a red light, but it has just as much power as it always does, the EGT's never get over 1050F and the boost still gets up to 27 psi, I can't get any answers from "god" (Google) and if it was turbo failure, it would have imploded by now after 3 days of hard driving.

What gives?

J&R Landscaping
07-20-2008, 04:43 PM
You might try asking on www.fordtrucks.com/forums

bobcat_ron
07-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Screw it, I hate registering for a topic like that.

44DCNF
07-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Sounds like a gasket leak to me. I had a turbo toyota 22R that did that and it was the gasket. May just need snugging up.

TXNSLighting
07-20-2008, 05:10 PM
It sounds like it could be going out...but i have heard this in the past when they get older they can get louder. inspect the area around your turbo for any clamps to come off, or the intake coming off. how many miles you got?

bobcat_ron
07-20-2008, 06:00 PM
I have 35,000 kms, I popped the hood last night and there was nothing out of the ordinary, it was in at the dealer last week and they would have caught it. I do a lot of heavy pulling with it and the engine is still under warranty, so I think I'll just wait until something goes "clunk".

44DCNF
07-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Get the specs and then check the torque on the turbos fasteners. It is likely that it is sucking or pushing air through a very tiny leak, making the whistle.

theWRIGHTcut
07-20-2008, 06:34 PM
yeah i agree with 44DCNF... any induction with the smallest crack or leak could make for a great whistle!

razor1
07-20-2008, 06:41 PM
My neighbor's whistles so loud I can hear him a 1/2 mile off. I figured it was some aftermarket parts. Pretty cool actually.

TXNSLighting
07-20-2008, 07:06 PM
My neighbor's whistles so loud I can hear him a 1/2 mile off. I figured it was some aftermarket parts. Pretty cool actually.

his is probably an 03. they whistled real loud.

CrystalCreek
07-20-2008, 07:22 PM
OK first of all you have boost, which means that the turbo is working. The wistle is most likely a intercoller pipe connector leak. The little blue boots at the pipe connections. They can get little cracks in them which can't be seen from the naked eye, but when under positive pressure it comes out as a loud scream. Have someone hold the throtle at half open and with ear plugs in reach in and feel around each boot for fast moving air leaks. There are four connectors. One right on the turbo outlet, one on the right side of the radiator/intercooler, one on the left radiator/intercooler(outlet side of intercooler) and the last on at the top of the engine at the elbow intake. Your truck may also have the plastic pipe on the intercooler outlet side. These pipes can also split. If you have the plastic pipe, Ford had a TSB to replace these with SS pipes and ALL new boots. Hope this helps.

theWRIGHTcut
07-20-2008, 08:34 PM
that's funny... i bet his dog can hear him coming a mile away

bobcat_ron
07-20-2008, 09:07 PM
OK first of all you have boost, which means that the turbo is working. The wistle is most likely a intercoller pipe connector leak. The little blue boots at the pipe connections. They can get little cracks in them which can't be seen from the naked eye, but when under positive pressure it comes out as a loud scream. Have someone hold the throtle at half open and with ear plugs in reach in and feel around each boot for fast moving air leaks. There are four connectors. One right on the turbo outlet, one on the right side of the radiator/intercooler, one on the left radiator/intercooler(outlet side of intercooler) and the last on at the top of the engine at the elbow intake. Your truck may also have the plastic pipe on the intercooler outlet side. These pipes can also split. If you have the plastic pipe, Ford had a TSB to replace these with SS pipes and ALL new boots. Hope this helps.

It only whistles when it's under a load, even sitting still and revving the engine can't make it whistle.

Gravel Rat
07-20-2008, 09:19 PM
It sounds like you have a stuck vein or sticking veins. If you run marked fuel it will make the veins stick. Also your truck doesn't have that many kilometers on it for a 2005 so that means your not driving it enough.

Take it into Ford and have to replace or clean the turbo. I had the turbo replaced on my 03 it took the Ford mechanic 4 hours to change it.

Here watch American Bill he talks about the 6.0. After watching the vids I feel better about the 6.0 and not scared of them.

www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=powerstrokehelp

bobcat_ron
07-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Stuck Veins, you mean vanes from the turbines? I know BD Performance warned me of that, but they wanted to do a complete BD turbo kit, but I shunned away from it due to the warranty.

THEGOLDPRO
07-20-2008, 10:56 PM
from my experiance a turbo whisteling loud means it needs a rebuild i have built a few turbo cars and thats always been the case for me. take the filter and pipe off and reach in the turbo and wiggle the compressor wheel check if it has any side to side/ does it touch the walls, or any back and forth play. if it has play it likely needs a rebuild.

Gravel Rat
07-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Here you go Ron watch this video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgOkkCWtRKY

bobcat_ron
07-22-2008, 08:38 PM
I've got a service appointment booked for next week, now the noise is squealing at idle, and old people with hearing aids are grabbing for their volume control thinking that loud high pitched noise is their problem.

Gravel Rat
07-22-2008, 10:44 PM
It could be a seizing turbo shaft. Best to get it looked at or it might die on you when you don't want it too.

What brand of oil are you running ?

I have been buying Delo 400LE 15w40 truck runs good on it.

CrystalCreek
07-22-2008, 10:58 PM
It only whistles when it's under a load, even sitting still and revving the engine can't make it whistle.

OK it will only whistle under load? You say revving the engine, but for how long. With no load from the transmission, it will take longer for the turbo to load up and build a good boost. I would still check the boot connectors as this is FREE and EASY. May eliminate at trip to the dealership and the truck being down for the day. Good luck and please let us know what you find.

bobcat_ron
07-23-2008, 12:05 AM
OK it will only whistle under load? You say revving the engine, but for how long. With no load from the transmission, it will take longer for the turbo to load up and build a good boost. I would still check the boot connectors as this is FREE and EASY. May eliminate at trip to the dealership and the truck being down for the day. Good luck and please let us know what you find.

I checked them, even revving the engine to 2000 rpm won't make it squeal, the service manager says it might be the VGR valve.

I run what ever oil that MSA Ford puts in it, they do all the oil changes, and they always will, no jiffy quick lubes for me.

And Gravel Rat, thanks for that YouTube link, now I understand the PSD turbo, that really is a brilliant setup!

Gravel Rat
07-23-2008, 12:40 AM
I got the link for Bills You Tube site from Tow411 that I lurk around.

We have to get used to 6.0s because 7.3 PSDs are too hard to find and the newer diesels like the 6.4 PSD are a nighmare.

I looked under the hood of one of my brothers friends who owns a early model 08 6.4 and it was holy crap where is the engine. The 6.0 is the last engine you can see the valve covers :dizzy:

If you get the truck serviced at Ford then its Motorcraft engine oil. I do my own oil changes I go buy a case of Delo from the bulk plant. I'am a stickler for oil changes usually I change the engine oil early.

Now with the rebuilt turbo I have I try romp on the throttle to keep the turbo parts moving :laugh:

I do notice I don't have the low end boost like I had before I guess my turbo was stuck in a position where it worked good on the low end.

I looked at the turbo tried getting my hand on all the bolts and seen it would be a horrible job I paid Ford to do the replacement. I have pulled wrenches alot but the turbo wasn't something I was going to do.

bobcat_ron
07-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Putting the BD X Monitor on my truck has taught me alot on this engine, even what the engine is doing with a turbo that is going to take a dump soon, my EGT's are always at 920+ now, they used to be at 800 on the flat when I was pulling, I'll bet the new EGR Valve I had put in on the 14th has something to do with it.

As for romping on the pedal, I always took my trailer and a load up Sumas Mountain, I take the "Grand Canyon" route that the gravel trucks take, a long, winding 4 km paved goat trail that has an average grade of 11%, 4 minutes of that will burn any remaining carbon off PDQ.
Then I turn around and take the Indian reserve route back down and pick up some cheap contraband smokes and sell them! :laugh:

Lynden-Jeff
07-23-2008, 09:10 PM
The turbos are just junk. Ive had my 04's turbo replaced twice, im going to have a third put in before warrentee is up, im at 140,000 KM now. My first turbo impeller was almost completely gone by 80,000 KM. Also another tip, make sure you do not use K & N filters, you will get dusting on the turbo prop and it will void your warrentee. I don't know how you stay under 1050 on your EGT's, even stock mine will go over when im givener or pulling a trailer, let alone chipped.

bobcat_ron
07-23-2008, 09:15 PM
If the EGT's go higher than 1070, I can hear the BD Monitor pull back on the fuel, that's a safety system that's programmed in.

jkilov
07-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Yes, the new turbos can be junk and yours sounds like it's failing. There are many things you can check but since it's under warranty I suggest you don't touch anything.

Take it to the dealership and have them fix it. Such a loud noise is enough to file a warranty claim. Don't accept the truck back until they have cured the noise whatever it is. It does'nt have to be towed to the garage to be considered a fault.

bobcat_ron
07-24-2008, 07:21 PM
7:30am Wednesday morning, it's going in, and the people behind the service counter will really hear it, the counter is in the same drive through garage, should be entertaining.

bobcat_ron
07-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Fixed!!

It was the turbo down pipe, it had a crack in it at the coupler, so it was replaced with another down pipe, warranty paid for it, so I will be good for another 30,000 kms.

Now another problem, Ford Technicians hate after market add on's like my BD Performance Exhaust Brake, now I get a loud air hissing noise when it's in operation, I still have full exhaust hold back, but that hissing noise is driving me nuts, I'll just wait until it leaves condensation stains somewhere, that'll make it easier to find, but I think it's just the regulator, but no biggy.

"Covered under Warranty", the best 3 words you'll ever see on a repair bill, all I paid was $112.00 for the deductible and taxes.

Gravel Rat
07-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Just thank your lucky stars you don't own a 2008 where you need to remove the cab :laugh:

bobcat_ron
07-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Just thank your lucky stars you don't own a 2008 where you need to remove the cab :laugh:

I saw a picture of that with the first 2008 to have major engine work done in the service bay, what a bloody nightmare, Ford's service people are going to be rich people, and Ford itself will lose money on all the labour time spent getting work done.

jkilov
07-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Did they give you the old down after the new one was put in? The amount of oil on the pipes walls can somewhat indicate how the turbo is doing.

bobcat_ron
07-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Did they give you the old down after the new one was put in? The amount of oil on the pipes walls can somewhat indicate how the turbo is doing.

No, they said everything was fine, there was oil residue on the outside of the couplers from the intake, but nothing major.