PDA

View Full Version : Motion Sensors

Chris J
07-20-2008, 08:37 PM
I have a deep back yard that backs up to a wooded nature preserve. I also have a winding trail through that preserve that leads to a lake. I intend on downlighting the pathway leading to the lake, and it's about 75' long. The beginning of the pathway as about 100' from the transformer.
Here's my question: Is there such a thing as a motion sensor for low volt lighting that I could install on the secondary home run that will turn the lights on when motion is detected? If so, do these devices operate like the sequencers, or will I have to run a separate wire out to the sensor location? I don't want to run the lighting system all night, but I would like the pathway to illuminate in the event that anyone wanted to wander up my path. Any help would be appreciated as I haven't done any "motion sensor" installations.

Mike M
07-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Chris, I think Joey was on this topic. I found this product from Nightscaping online, but I would be interested in seeing what Unique has to say about LV motion sensors or configuring 120v sensors for use with task-specific transformers.

This is a module built for their Powercenter. It controls multiple separate runs.

Chris J
07-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks Mike, but I've already heard bad things about that one. A reliable source told me that it's not a matter of "if" it will fail, it's just a matter of when.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Exactly why I did not mention it here Chris. The concept is solid, but the actual device has its issues.

JoeyD
07-21-2008, 10:35 AM
I know of no reliable 12v motion sensor as of right now. Soemthing tells me i ahve seen one but I have no info in my files.

In all situations similar to this we have had to tie the motion sensor tot he 120v power feeding the transformer.

Lite4
07-21-2008, 10:51 AM
I know of no reliable 12v motion sensor as of right now. Soemthing tells me i ahve seen one but I have no info in my files.

In all situations similar to this we have had to tie the motion sensor tot he 120v power feeding the transformer.

Which will require you to have an stand alone transformer for that zone only. Sounds like a good opportunity for some manufacturer to create a good sensor that no else has come up with for the 12 volt side. Hmmm.....I wonder who could come with and create such a device? Hmmm.....:rolleyes:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Here is one by RAB.... but only handles a 96w load. Sounds like you might want to use some LED MR16 lamps there Chris! :)

http://www.residential-landscape-lighting-design.com/store/low_voltage_RLLD1873RAB.htm