PDA

View Full Version : MP Rotator MP3000 30 FEET?!?

dhess
07-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Has anyone successfully been able to get the MP3000 series to throw 30ft? If so at what head pressure?

On two different properties I've used the BLUE MP3000 series heads at 50+ psi and neither one throw near 30ft (more like 20-23 ft). I fully opened the nozzles (counterclockwise screw).

We have one large property that I would like to try and replace PGP rotators that are spaced 26 ft apart and as a test on Friday I replaced 4 PGPs in a row with 4xMP3000 heads (Blue, Mp3000 180 degree). I measured the head pressure from the head and it was 60psi.

At 60 PSI the MP3000s I installed barely threw 20-23ft on the side. I was using 4" Hunter Pro Spray Heads.

I had the same problem on another recent intall where I installed a temp system and decided to use MP rotators on it. The pressure was closer to 70psi and I still don't believe they got anywhere near 30ft. I'll go back on Friday and measure this for sure, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had mix results with these.

I know they are rated at 25-55psi and I wasn't seeing much misting at 60psi.

Maybe I'll try it with a pressure regulated head and see what happens.

ZX12R
07-20-2008, 10:57 PM
'I measured the head pressure from the head and it was 60psi.'

I am sorry,I do not mean to hijack your thread,but ,can you explain to me how you measure pressure at an individual head?

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Why are you replacing the PGPs? Why not just nozzle them down?

dhess
07-20-2008, 11:21 PM
I measured the pressure at the head using a PSI guage attached to the end of a 4" popup head (special nozzle adapter)

dhess
07-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Why are you replacing the PGPs? Why not just nozzle them down?

This property has a major runoff problem from the slope of the grass on median plus wind.

Also we are finding the PGPs are generally failing (breaking or whatever) on the tops leaking, causing major runoff on the low end. Water collects and runs along the edges of the cement down to the lowest point and then across the street. So if any of the rotors are leaking it causes a problem.

I just wanted to see if a possible solution might be to use MP Rotators in place of the PGPS.

The original install (not us, probably 8-10 years ago) also didn't account for using check valves on low end heads. This is also causing major runoff onto street which the City is kicking our ass about now.

Bottom line is I have to come up a solution to reduce the water runoff and *arc* problems or cut that whole 1/2 mile section off because I'll be the one that cited from the city. Low Throw nozzles aren't doing much better.

I'll have to experiment with multiple water times (shorter), but the slope on the road and grass is making it almost impossible to fix. If we aim the heads too low they won't reach the other side of the median (thus not head to head) and they might actually just shoot into parts of the hill, thus missing the middle of the medians.

I'll be adding check valves and new PGP rotors on Monday with a lot of teflon tape hoping to solve this problem.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-21-2008, 12:01 AM
This property has a major runoff problem from the slope of the grass on median plus wind.

Also we are finding the PGPs are generally failing (breaking or whatever) on the tops leaking, causing major runoff on the low end. Water collects and runs along the edges of the cement down to the lowest point and then across the street. So if any of the rotors are leaking it causes a problem.

I just wanted to see if a possible solution might be to use MP Rotators in place of the PGPS.

The original install (not us, probably 8-10 years ago) also didn't account for using check valves on low end heads. This is also causing major runoff onto street which the City is kicking our ass about now.

Bottom line is I have to come up a solution to reduce the water runoff and *arc* problems or cut that whole 1/2 mile section off because I'll be the one that cited from the city. Low Throw nozzles aren't doing much better.

I'll have to experiment with multiple water times (shorter), but the slope on the road and grass is making it almost impossible to fix. If we aim the heads too low they won't reach the other side of the median (thus not head to head) and they might actually just shoot into parts of the hill, thus missing the middle of the medians.

I'll be adding check valves and new PGP rotors on Monday with a lot of teflon tape hoping to solve this problem.

Try the RB PRS/SAM 5000 with the low angle nozzle. Or regular nozzle if spraying up a slope. I've used them in a situation similar to what you described and was quite pleased. I don't think MPs and PGPs are a good substitute for each other. Also MPs have more of a wind problem than PGPs in my opinion. To get that 30' radius on the 3000 they have to give it a pretty high angle.

Firefighter337
07-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Im a big fan of the MP 1000, 2000 and 3000.

I used the same Hunter 4" pop-ups. I am getting around 23 feet at 60 psi on the zone.

dhess
07-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Try the RB PRS/SAM 5000 with the low angle nozzle. Or regular nozzle if spraying up a slope. I've used them in a situation similar to what you described and was quite pleased. I don't think MPs and PGPs are a good substitute for each other. Also MPs have more of a wind problem than PGPs in my opinion. To get that 30' radius on the 3000 they have to give it a pretty high angle.

I have some of those in the van I'll try tommorrow.

I still think the 30' is a myth and false advertising myself with the 3000 series, but I'll leave it at that.

Firefighter337
07-21-2008, 12:27 AM
I've got them on a Rainbird DVF valve. It his an adjustable pressure valve in the valve.

I had to gate mine back and I'm getting them to throw right now at 20 feet. If it upped the pressure, It will throw 25+ for sure.

Waterit
07-21-2008, 12:36 AM
We put some 3000's on 6 ft. risers for a customer's garden, had to change out to 2000's to keep from hitting the house - 37 feet away (I measured).

We were running at 60PSI.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-21-2008, 12:43 AM
We put some 3000's on 6 ft. risers for a customer's garden, had to change out to 2000's to keep from hitting the house - 37 feet away (I measured).

We were running at 60PSI.

I bet that was kinda cool looking.

Waterit
07-21-2008, 12:47 AM
I bet that was kinda cool looking.

The risers were ugly as sin until we boxed 'em out with treated 1x4's.

Az Gardener
07-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Dial your pressure back to 25-30 PSI and I'm pretty sure that will fix your problem. I had the same problem on the first ones I ever tried.

I was calling Ewing and bitching, :cry: and :hammerhead: they told me to reduce my pressure. Sure enough as I got near the end of the stroke on the flow control the streams got fatter and began to go farther.

Nowadays I just use a 30 PSI regulator and a Wye strainer. Just like a drip valve set up.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-21-2008, 06:55 AM
The risers were ugly as sin until we boxed 'em out with treated 1x4's.

Seriously??? Or have you out sarcasmed me????;)

greenmonster304
07-21-2008, 08:14 AM
I put about 30 of them in a customers garden on 1812's and they look pretty cool when they all pop up and start wizzing around the garden.

Waterit
07-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Seriously??? Or have you out sarcasmed me????;)

Seriously. Trying to out-sarcam you would be like trying to out-grump Leary.

They looked so ugly with the 2-hole straps holding them against the 4x4 posts that I boxed them. Guess I need to go by there and take some pics. The heads do look cool when watering, tho.

Kiril
07-21-2008, 10:50 AM
We put some 3000's on 6 ft. risers

OMG ..... don't you guys have any codes down there.

BTW MPRotators are spec'd at 30-55 PSI, not 60 or 70.

Wet_Boots
07-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Riser codes? Surely you jest.

Kiril
07-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Riser codes? Surely you jest.

Surely I do not. If you have a back flow that is installed at 1 foot above your downstream heads, then you raise your heads 6 feet, that would mean your down stream heads are now 5 feet above your back flow. If the back flow is not rated for back pressure, do you think there might be a problem there?

Wet_Boots
07-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Surely I do not. If you have a back flow that is installed at 1 foot above your downstream heads, then you raise your heads 6 feet, that would mean your down stream heads are now 5 feet above your back flow. If the back flow is not rated for back pressure, do you think there might be a problem there?Not a problem :)

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=114833&stc=1&d=1216474983

HooKooDooKu
07-21-2008, 02:47 PM
It's been a while since I measured distances with my MP Rotators, but I seem to recall using 1800 series popups with PRS. I was getting something like 18+ feet on the MP2000, and something around 25-27 feet on the MP3000.

dhess
07-21-2008, 04:28 PM
It's been a while since I measured distances with my MP Rotators, but I seem to recall using 1800 series popups with PRS. I was getting something like 18+ feet on the MP2000, and something around 25-27 feet on the MP3000.

I'll try a pressure regulated head just for kicks, but I still don't think I'm going to get 30ft, but hopefully I'm wrong on that.

I went ahead and installed more PGP's with check valves and low throw nozzles. All rotor heads are now turned in 10-15 degrees from the road just to get the city guys off my back.

the majority of the rotor heads I'm replacing are leaking from the top now...

a whole other problem I'm having to fix...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=239609

When I'm done with the work I'm just going to run these stations in 5-10 min increments spaced out 2-3 different start times.

Kiril
07-21-2008, 05:01 PM
My two cents....never expect to get maximum radius from any sprinkler and you will be fine.

Mike Leary
07-21-2008, 06:09 PM
My two cents....never expect to get maximum radius from any sprinkler and you will be fine.

Yup, head to head & then some. I know those MP 3000 heads I have in service
are NOT chucking even close to 30' at 60 psi. They are not misting, by the way.

dhess
07-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Yup, head to head & then some. I know those MP 3000 heads I have in service
are NOT chucking even close to 30' at 60 psi. They are not misting, by the way.

most I've gotten so far is about 26' with the head raised up about 6-7 inches out of ground on my hose tester.

Maybe you have to raise the head about 10ft in the air to get the full 30ft...I still call BS on the 30ft myself.

I just needed them to go 26-27' to get head to head.

Maybe Mr Walla Walla MP Rotator Dude can come out and demo some to prove me wrong.

Mike Leary
07-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Maybe Mr Walla Walla MP Rotator Dude can come out and demo some to prove me wrong.

I think it's Mr. Hunter rep now, that should be fun. :dizzy:
I'll be at my MP site tomorrow, will measure the throw.

Waterit
07-22-2008, 09:37 AM
OMG ..... don't you guys have any codes down there.

BTW MPRotators are spec'd at 30-55 PSI, not 60 or 70.

We gots codes - this was on a pump-and-well system protected with a DCVA.