PDA

View Full Version : Bucket Side Cutters

RockSet N' Grade
07-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Do you use side cutters on your excavator buckets? If so, what has been your experience?

Construct'O
07-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Depending on what your looking to do?Will increase the width of you trench,if needed for trenching.

Makes crowding the sides easier from my experiences.The excavator are weak when it comes to side swing and trying to force the bucket to crowd the sides of a trench or high wall.

Will keep some of the dirt from spilling over the sides of the bucket.

On some buckets they are welded,but i always liked the option of being bolted on,so if you wanted to take them off to replace.

Some are flared out to make them cut wider trench.On my old excavator they made it cut from 36" to 42"they was bolt on.

Others are straight with the edge of the bucket which just makes for easier cutting.

I have used them on the side of my dozer blade to help cut the hard dirt and roots on the trees,plus helps on the wear of the edges of the bucket and blade.

So what are you thinking about doing now:confused::):usflag:

bobcat_ron
07-20-2008, 11:12 PM
We never use then here, even on trench digging, Bobcat likes to put them on every excavator bucket, but that's only because their metal is weak and very prone to wearing out fast. None of my skid steer buckets have had them, but the Cat 68" bucket I have will be getting some mods done to it to allow for faster concrete and black top removal as well as adding 1 1/2" thick runners to the bottom of the bucket to keep me from bunny hopping.

BIGBEN2004
07-21-2008, 06:50 PM
We never use then here, even on trench digging, Bobcat likes to put them on every excavator bucket, but that's only because their metal is weak and very prone to wearing out fast. None of my skid steer buckets have had them, but the Cat 68" bucket I have will be getting some mods done to it to allow for faster concrete and black top removal as well as adding 1 1/2" thick runners to the bottom of the bucket to keep me from bunny hopping.

From your pictures your dirt looks very sandy. Some areas are very hard clay or solid rock around where I live and many buckets use them. Even the Takeuchi TL140 and TL150's have bolt on side cutters. I would like to add a set to my bucket to help reduce wear to the bucket. I already need to hard face between the teeth on my TL130 bucket now from the wear and that is only at 350 Hrs.

Scag48
07-22-2008, 01:17 AM
In sandy conditions, sidecutters are worthless anyway, don't run them. I don't like sidecutters on a machine that's digging utilities, can't float the bucket over a buried line without breaking it nearly as easy. On the second to last or last pass through a trench once I hit my depth, I roll the bucket out and carry the bucket through the bottom of the trench with the teeth past vertical facing away from the operator. You can roll some material through the trench in front of the bucket and if you happen to come across a line, the bucket will float over the top. With sidecutters, good luck, they'll rip that line right out.

If you're running a mainline hoe where ripping utilities isn't an issue, sidecutters are nice in hard ground to work the side of the trench. Especially if you need a 60" wide trench and you have a 42" bucket, for example. A lot easier to bust the sides of the trench with the sidecutters.

RockSet N' Grade
07-22-2008, 12:12 PM
I have two 36" buckets.....one with side cutters and one without. Noticable difference in digging performance in our soil conditions for pools, trenches, footings, foundation holes, etc. Scag, your point about utilities is noted and agreed with here. Just wondered what other guys were doing........Thought they might be of value to Ksss considering his "Idaho topsoil conditions"........

Scag48
07-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Ah, that Kaiser guy, he doesn't know hard digging. :laugh: That's why they plant potatoes in Idaho, soft ground makes for easy pickin'.