PDA

View Full Version : what length enclosed trailer?

lil'dale
07-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Hey everybody. I'm a newbie to the site and pretty new to the business after not doing yards since college 20 years ago. I am about to buy an enclosed v-nose trailer and can't decide between 16 or 18 feet. Any thoughts on this from any of you? Also, any recommendations or better yet, pictures of what type of racks and stuff I should put inside of it?

Thanks in advance for you advice.

lil'dale

PLS-Tx
07-21-2008, 01:46 AM
Hey everybody. I'm a newbie to the site and pretty new to the business after not doing yards since college 20 years ago. I am about to buy an enclosed v-nose trailer and can't decide between 16 or 18 feet. Any thoughts on this from any of you? Also, any recommendations or better yet, pictures of what type of racks and stuff I should put inside of it?

Thanks in advance for you advice.

lil'dale

What will you be pulling your trailer with? I would get as big as your truck can pull. We have a 8.5x20, and we could use more room at times. I would get at least the 18' if your truck could pull it.

As far as racks, we use trimmer traps and they work great.

Merlin300
07-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Get the 18' and roll with it.

Junior M
07-21-2008, 09:22 AM
What will you be pulling your trailer with? I would get as big as your truck can pull. We have a 8.5x20, and we could use more room at times. I would get at least the 18' if your truck could pull it.

As far as racks, we use trimmer traps and they work great.
like he said it all depends on what your truck can handle. but remember the vnose takes about two or three feet off so when you buy the 18 you are really only getting like 16 feet of regular floor space. so if you want all the use of the 18 feet you might have to get a regular square nose trailer.

supercuts
07-21-2008, 06:44 PM
18', you'll outgrow any size, so if those are teh 2 options go big

punt66
07-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Depends what your going to put in it. I actually run a 12' enclosed. I have a Z and a WB inside with all handhelds on walls. Its a light combination to run around with and burn less fuel. I pull with a 1/2 ton as well. I have a 3/4 ton for mulch and leaves and have an open trailer as well if needed. But its nice to have a smaller trailer to whip araound with. So its just a matter of what your going to put in it. I am assuming your going to put 2 z's if your looking at an 18. If thats the cas you wouldnt need any bigger than the 18. You will also need a 3/4ton or larger truck.

JFF
07-21-2008, 07:10 PM
I have a WB, a 21", and a ZTR in a 7x14 flat nose. There is enough room to get around everything.

I wanted a bigger trailer, but I have some pretty tight spots on my route, and I was worried that the bigger trailer I wanted was going to be a pain.

I personally don't see the point of a v-nose unless you are gonna do a ton of highway driving. The ones I looked at were longer than flat noses, but that space in the front is not especially useful. It adds length but not really any space.

I have green touch xtreme trimmer racks an they work great. I built racks for my blowers and hedge trimmers for less than $10 bucks.

lil'dale
08-19-2008, 11:38 PM
could you send a picture of the homemade racks?

mower&more1986
08-20-2008, 12:02 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=199795
this a link to my old setup i used for mowing my grandfathers house and empty lot.
and my pics of my homemade racks

lil'dale
08-20-2008, 12:28 AM
thanks, that's helpful.

farmboy52787
08-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Go with the 18. I got a 8.5x18 Vnose enclosed trailer with the extra height and i love it. I mounted a Billy Goat debris loader on the toungue of the trailer for loading grass and leaves. I can put 2 MT Walkers 48 inch decks and i dont have to flip them up like some people do, but if i haul around my 42 inch side discharge MS Walker, i flip that deck up and park it in the front in the V part of the trailer. I put one of those 25 gallon gas caddys in the front next to the side door. I built a shelf that fits in the front V up front and i use that for blade storage, parts, tools and other misc items. The only racks i bought were the Green Touch Extreme Racks and they are so worth it, they are awesome for storing trimmers. I got the one that holds 4 and mounted it on the wall. But then I couldnt picture myself spending $100 bucks here and there for racks to hold a chainsaw, and back pack blowers so when i was in the hardware store i bought a bunch of hangers that you screw into wood and I custom made all my racks. Since the inside walls of the trailer are only 1/2 inch plywood or so you cant mount anything directly to that so I just took a 2x4 here and there and screwed that to the wall so then you can screw the hangers into the 2x4. But i have hangers for my 2 backpack blowers, shovels, rakes, pitch forks, and i bought some spring clips to hang all my attachments for my Maruyama power head. Also in the back I made some shelves for things like weedwacker heads and line, shear pins, all stuff you need all the time rather than storing it up on the front shelf. I'll have to take pictures and post them, but practically everything I own is in the trailer since I dont have a garage or shop to store my tools and equipment in. Also I back the trailer into a driveway all the time and I have no problem seeing it, The longer your trailer is, the easier it is to back up.

mower&more1986
08-20-2008, 01:43 AM
Im planing on the same trailer except tandam axles next year to hold the extra weight of the 3/4 plywood. I myslef would go bigger then 6x12 but i wouldnt have anywhere to put a bigger trailer without getting chewed out by my neighbors and the police during the winter time when i parked it out in the street but i i was able to move it in my driveway eventually when i figured out how to get it in there I probably could of gone 7x14 just need to measure the driveway good.
If your truck can pull an 8.5x 20 and you have a place to put it. shouldnt be a problem during the mowing season but the winter time beware.
just my experiences
allso does anyone know when you have trailer brakes if you can lockem so they trailer wont move like when leaving it parked?

mower&more1986
08-20-2008, 01:57 AM
Go with the 18. I got a 8.5x18 Vnose The longer your trailer is, the easier it is to back up.

So very true you would be supprise how much easier time had with a backing 48ft semi trailer then i short 12ft.
I have a Class A CDL. I took it in a Kenworth W900L with a 48ft trailer for the road part and for preTrip. for yard skill we used a old ford semi tractor something from the 1980s im guessing with a 48ft trailer.
dont let size discourage you. everyone i knew never thought i could get my CDL but i proved them wrong

lil'dale
08-20-2008, 09:59 AM
How do you lock the brakes?

mower&more1986
08-20-2008, 08:34 PM
bump i would like to if you can. im not sure. but i can always ask the trailer dealer i go to about it next im in the area.
did some research apparently you cant lock the brakes to park it.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-5711.html
but what i dont understand is i think theres some kind of safety thing that locks the brakes if the trailer comes loose from the truck. so why couldnt be used for parking it with blocks? im not sure

mower&more1986
08-20-2008, 08:49 PM
so more info on trailer parking brakes.
http://www.madisonpowersystems.com/1cables/02parking/trailerparkbrake.htm

punt66
08-20-2008, 11:33 PM
bump i would like to if you can. im not sure. but i can always ask the trailer dealer i go to about it next im in the area.
did some research apparently you cant lock the brakes to park it.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-5711.html
but what i dont understand is i think theres some kind of safety thing that locks the brakes if the trailer comes loose from the truck. so why couldnt be used for parking it with blocks? im not sure

because its called a breakaway box. There is a battery that gets activated when the trailer becomes disconected from the truck and the battery takes over giving voltage to the brake actuators. You would need constant voltage to the brakes to leave them on when parked.

mower&more1986
08-21-2008, 12:19 AM
too bad you couldnt plug it into your house but thats probley going alittle far.
best thing is blocks or wheel chocks and a hitch lock. already got the hitch lock. Pretty sure farm and fleet has wheel chocks