PDA

View Full Version : took my last sting today

crab
07-21-2008, 05:27 PM
turns out i am allergic to bees!!!i wanted to spray some yellow jackets today that were fight in a hole we dug Saturday,while i was pinpointing there entry so i can spray turns out I'm standing on another nest!!here's the kicker I've been stung close to hundred times before,got stung on Saturday no problem,but apparently all those stings are the reason i am now allergic.feeling fine i started to go home to take shower,suddenly I'm sweating all over like the worst pi ever, itching ,turned bright red ,OK no problem then my face and tongue start to go numb,next thing I'm at the er and my hands are shaking so bad i cant fill out the paper work .2hrs of drip iv and im fine.so why do say all this.carry anti histamines with you in you're medical kit ,it saved my life,and it could save you-res.Cheer's boys

JFF
07-21-2008, 06:22 PM
You need an epi pen.

I had no problems for years, then some ground hornets ganged up on me and I went into shock. Hives, swelling mouth and throat, the whole 9 yards.

If nothing else keep some liquid benedryl in the first aid kit. In a pinch it might save ya!

crab
07-21-2008, 08:13 PM
it did and i now have an epi pen,my point is i have never had a problem and like you said all off a sudden wham,so to the rest of you wach out.:)

Kepple Services
07-21-2008, 11:51 PM
I was tearing down a small cottage complex. Had 9 single bedroom and a main 4 bedroom house. I was on my 3rd little single, when after taking a swipe at it with the excavator a huge swarm of bees started coming out at me. They took up 3 bays inside the wall. I got 4 cans of killer and would walk the excavator over to the nest that was eft on the ground as well as where they moved over to on the fence and would spray the hell out of them. I just kept thanking anyone who would listen that the cab sealed REALLY well and I never got stung once.

Gravel Rat
07-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Don't you guys have the problem with Africanized bees ?

I know a few people if they get stung they can have a alergic reaction so bad that they can die.

I haven't had a bee sting in a few years and I don't want one :laugh:

RockSet N' Grade
07-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Our bodies change with time.....that is a given. Carry the proper med's for stings, and also consider some asprin for "unexpected" heart attack - your's or someone elses. The price of a cab'd unit, no matter what kind of machine, has no discussion value left at all. I carry a full blown first aid kit on my truck and have another that I keep on my trailer........it all seems like overkill, until that one fragile moment when it is needed. Kinda like fire extinguishers........I have them all over the place, and since I have them thrown around like toothpicks, I will probably never need one......and if I didn't have them, I would probably need them......One last thought since this little incident happened two days ago.......if your straps or cables are older or worn, get rid of them and get new ones....A contractors son was working under something heavy, cable broke......he is now in the hospital tubed up with brain damage......I hate to say, this man's son is now a vegetable at best........

TforTexas
07-22-2008, 02:36 PM
I had one of my workers on his first day on the job come out of a backyard and tell me, "you better take me to the hospital right away". He had been stung by a single bee. It only took us 10 minutes to get to the ER and as we drove in he was already going into shock and couldn't breath. He was so swollen up he didn't even look human. The doctor told me if it had taken us 10more minutes to get there he probably would have died.
He re-evaluated his career choice after that!

RockSet N' Grade
07-22-2008, 03:39 PM
TforTexas........he probably would be a better bar tender at the Oasis checking out the bootie at Lake Travis!!! Black Olives in my beer Sir!!

TforTexas
07-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I had one of my workers on his first day on the job come out of a backyard and tell me, "you better take me to the hospital right away". He had been stung by a single bee. It only took us 10 minutes to get to the ER and as we drove in he was already going into shock and couldn't breath. He was so swollen up he didn't even look human. The doctor told me if it had taken us 10more minutes to get there he probably would have died.
He re-evaluated his career choice after that!
That or at the Pheonician in Sandy. Pasties and a G-string and good tap beer.
I've spent some time there and the Town and Country in Murray. Don't know if thier still there that was back in the 80's

TforTexas
07-22-2008, 05:01 PM
That story actually took place in Salt Lake, by the way.

Scag48
07-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Make sure to have that EpiPen on you when you're out in the bush. Heard a story from someone in the surveying biz who is allergic to bees. Left the EpiPen in the truck while out in the bush running property lines. Got stung, had a hard time getting back to the truck which was quite a distance at that time. Barely got out of that one alive. Point is, make sure the proper meds are on your person when you can be exposed to risks. Having them in the truck doesn't always solve the problem.

AJ Lawnscapes
07-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Just picked up a 2 pack of Epi-Pen. I was allergic as a child, and thought it might be a good measure to have some out working.

Glad you're alright

crab
07-22-2008, 09:43 PM
thanks aj good not to have more dirt than usual on me.scag you are soooo union now ,i wont forget my coffee and newspaper either.:laugh:congrats on youre new gig!

Scag48
07-23-2008, 12:34 AM
thanks aj good not to have more dirt than usual on me.scag you are soooo union now ,i wont forget my coffee and newspaper either.:laugh:congrats on youre new gig!

I know, it's almost sad. I've spent so many hours in safety classes. Makes you think though, some of the stuff I used to do never looked dangerous until someone points out the potential for serious injury.

RockSet N' Grade
07-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Moral of the story: don't end up in the hospital like this 26 year old kid who had a cable break on a machine and the ball came and hit him on the head. He is a veggie in the hospital and to make matters worse, it was hid dad's company's equipment that put him there. With equipment, shiat happens so fast and it is usually a major.