PDA

View Full Version : juniper problem

old oak lawn
07-21-2008, 08:29 PM
does anyone know what is going on with this juniper? had a spot like this to right side in first part of summer and customer removed and now its back and dieing down the line to left. there is about 30 feet more to left that all is OK but what ever is going on in moving down that way. i see no white spots. thanks for any help. john

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
07-21-2008, 08:53 PM
A lady across the street from a customer's house had one's that looked exactly like those. Ended up being spider mites.

JimLewis
07-28-2008, 04:38 AM
Yah, I know what's wrong with it. It's screaming to be torn out and replaced with something attractive!!! And it's on hunger strike because nobody's been listening.

Haha! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

NC Greenscaper
07-28-2008, 06:13 AM
Look for bag worms. They love juniper

Smallaxe
07-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Check for rodents. When you rip it out and there is girdled trunks and branches inside that mess -it is likely rodents.

old oak lawn
07-28-2008, 11:11 PM
thanks for the help, i will pull out the dead parts and see what i can find.

wildstarblazer
07-29-2008, 08:22 AM
I know juniper don't like standing water. Looks like a low spot that may get too much. Also if someone sprays horticulture oil on them to kill mites or whatever could be harmful to them as well.

Whitey4
07-29-2008, 03:56 PM
I know juniper don't like standing water. Looks like a low spot that may get too much. Also if someone sprays horticulture oil on them to kill mites or whatever could be harmful to them as well.

Yep, juniper hates wet feet... are those downspouts there?

Isobel
07-29-2008, 07:00 PM
there's not an exhaust pipe from a car that hitting them there, is there? That could definitely kill off plant material.

old oak lawn
07-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Yep, juniper hates wet feet... are those downspouts there?

i think they are, i dont know if they are piped out or drains in bed.
i will ck on it. thanks.

Whitey4
07-29-2008, 11:01 PM
i think they are, i dont know if they are piped out or drains in bed.
i will ck on it. thanks.

I was called in on a problem that looked just like this.... half of the junipers were dead, and the other half was fine. Had them turn the sprinkler system on. The dead junipers were in an overwatered zone, the healthy ones didn't get any irrigation.

I'd lay odds that these died from soil that was too wet, if those are downspouts. I would suggest installing something to channel the runoff onto the walkway, and replacing the dead juniper with something else.

socallawndude
08-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Yah, I know what's wrong with it. It's screaming to be torn out and replaced with something attractive!!! And it's on hunger strike because nobody's been listening.

Haha! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

No kidding, I hate the look of that stuff:)