PDA

View Full Version : Lilacs not doing to good.

qualitycut
07-21-2008, 10:32 PM
I planted some lilacs for a customer about a week and a half ago and he just called and said they are not looking to good. I haven't got out there to look at them but any ideas on what I can do to prevent them from dying.

Thanks in advance

gene gls
07-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Its probely too late. You should have been checking on them for water. You can't depend on the customer to water. They either put on too much or not enough. If you offered a guarentee then you should have some dollars to cover your time for watering.

Smallaxe
07-22-2008, 09:11 AM
If you 'soaked' them in good when you planted to ensure no air pockets and plenty of root zone moisture, then - they should not be too far gone to water back to life.

White Gardens
07-22-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't know when, where or how you planted them, but, I would suggest throwing down some mulch around them to help hold in moisture.

Stillwater
07-22-2008, 11:38 AM
If you 'soaked' them in good when you planted to ensure no air pockets and plenty of root zone moisture, then - they should not be too far gone to water back to life.

this post is worth repeating

qualitycut
08-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Well I got out there to check on them about a day after i posted they where still green just had some what looked to be insects eating them so I got some stuff from Gertens and sprayed it on. hope it works.

White Gardens
08-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Powdery Mildew is also a problem with Lilacs. Usually it's not a problem, but if you have some insect damage then it might compound the problem. So, keep an eye on them if you can, and you might want to think about a mild fungicide if they look to get mildew really bad.

If you get them established this year they should do better next.

daveyo
08-05-2008, 09:03 PM
You shouldn't be responsible for water, who has time paid or not to water thats not profitable at all. Give contract, not responsible for watering problems, give a watering care guide and info on plant if you feel necessary. guarantee plant for one year if all is followed by customer, damn you'll be out of business watering plants all day. Sign them up for full maintenance and give insect and fungus control but how can you be responsible for watering? Can you be there two times a week or more in High heat?