PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Turf Tracer, 48 or 52 inch?

green-pa
07-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Wondering if I can get some feedback on the Exmark TurfTracer 48 or 52 inch mowers. I'm not sure which to get. The dealer said that 95% of guys that buy, go with a 48in. Most of my lawn are less than 15,000k so he said with that avg, I'd not even notice a diff. between a 48 and 52. I have a 36 in Scag now with pistol grip/belt drive so i am looking forward to the hydro power as well as easier on the hands in the case of this Exmark. But if I go with a 48 inch, should I go with the 17 hp or 19 hp? My Scag is 16 hp and it's o 36 so I'm thinking 19 would be best. I'm planning on using a velky too. Will this mower give me as good a cut as the scag? I know it costs like twice as much so it should, I just want to hear it from u guys. I'd go with Scag on this purchase if only they had the ECS ( i think it's called) that easier grip/controls. I'm considering this above all other mowers because I see more Exmarks with the big companies than any other mower so there must be something to that.

CrimsonLawnCare
07-22-2008, 12:48 AM
go with the bigger deck, my company runs with a 52 and 36 turf tracer

SNAPPER MAN
07-22-2008, 11:26 AM
If he sells 95% of tthp's with the 48"deck then to me that says something. I would get the 48" because it seems to be the mower working best for everyone in your area.

MileHigh
07-22-2008, 12:16 PM
I've got a 48" TTHP with a kawi 17hp engine. The 19hp electric start option would be awsome but cost an extra $900 at my dealer. I use a sulky with it, it pulls just fine. It's a little light in the front with a sulky but some weights or just a little common sense will take care of that.

48" or 52" I sometimes wish I went with the 52" so the next tthp I buy will be larger.

It sometimes bogs down a tiny bit in thicker grass, but can hold it's own for sure. The 19hp would most likely take care of most of that.

I also have a pistol grip gear drive eX...I hate using it, lets just say that I have gotten a little spoiled using the ecs and hydro pumps, I gotten so good with the controls, I could mow a lawn sitting on my sulky in reverse!

Anyways...great choice in a WB

4curbappeal
07-22-2008, 12:44 PM
I would go with the 52" 19hp! Not too many 50" gates in our area, but i guess i do have one! trust me, you will notice the extra 4"! 52" & 36" is a great set up!Also, A little extra hp never hurt anyone!

green-pa
07-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Most of my properties ( about 40) are under 15,000 sq foot. I only have 2-3 that are approaching an acre. THe dealer said I'd not be able to notice a difference in time with these size properties so to just go with the 48. I'm not sure.

dura to the max
07-22-2008, 01:37 PM
ive had 48" and 52" w/b and really didnt have much difference. for the $$$$ i would just get the 48". the 52" does have a little bit more of a trim edge, but the 48" can get as close as needed w/ practice.

i would get a proslide on it though, it doesnt leave that nasty wheel mark in the middle of your stripes.

my tthp is a 19hp 48" and i'm glad i have the 19, makes a big difference when mulching, but if you're going to be bagging or discharging the 16 hp is fine. ive had several 48" w/b gear and hydro drives w/ 15 and 14 hp motors and if i wasnt mulching i could go through ANYTHING and never bog. i think the 52" i had only had a 16 hp and it was plenty. imo the only reason to get the bigger motor is for mulching.

Green Team Landscaping
07-22-2008, 01:41 PM
if you are mowing yards with gates go with the 48, otherwise et the 52 because thats less passes you have to make, and more gas saved

dura to the max
07-22-2008, 03:06 PM
on a 15,000 sq ft yard 4" isnt going to save too many passes, and w/ the added weight and hp it wont save gas.

mowerbrad
07-22-2008, 06:29 PM
True 4" isn't going to make a huge difference in 1 lawn but in the long run it could benefit you. If you can save 1 minute per lawn with the 52" thats 40 minutes per week (atleast one more lawn per week). If that extra lawn is a $40 lawn that would put an extra $1200 in your pocket each year (assuming you have a 30 week season). So that 52" could actually make you more money than the 48".

J&R Landscaping
07-22-2008, 07:07 PM
I was runnng a 52" Bobcat hydro last season. Great machine. If I needed smaller, I went down to a 36"wb. 52" gets my vote. Them turf tracers are nice units!

Roger
07-22-2008, 08:01 PM
How about your trailer equipment layout? I have a 48" ZTR, and am able to put hand mowers beside it on the 6 1/2 ft wide trailer. A 52" mower would make a whole lot of trouble for me in arranging equipment on the trailer. In my case, I could easily use a 52" mower for my properties, but decided on the 48" because of trailering considerations. I did not want to incur the cost of a new trailer.

Maybe it is not an issue for you, but just wanting to point out one more thing to consider.

Tadams
07-22-2008, 09:32 PM
My first mower was a 2002 48" TTHP with a 17 Kawi on it. It's a great mower that I still use every day. You really can't go wrong with either the 48 or the 52 on the size of properties that you have. What is the price difference between the two? The Exmark WB's crank easy, but the next WB I get will have electric start on it. It gets to be a pain having to pull the recoil when it's 100 degrees outside.

STIHL GUY
07-22-2008, 10:39 PM
i would go with the 52''

green-pa
07-23-2008, 01:35 AM
How about your trailer equipment layout? I have a 48" ZTR, and am able to put hand mowers beside it on the 6 1/2 ft wide trailer. A 52" mower would make a whole lot of trouble for me in arranging equipment on the trailer. In my case, I could easily use a 52" mower for my properties, but decided on the 48" because of trailering considerations. I did not want to incur the cost of a new trailer.

Maybe it is not an issue for you, but just wanting to point out one more thing to consider.

I have a 5x9 now so I'm certainly going to have to upgrade to fit a 36 in Scag and 48 or 52 inch Turf Tracer. I have a 21 inch but a planning on having a helper next year so we can just lift it out the truck bed. I don't like the though of getting too big of a trailer as it makes turning and fitting into tight spots a problem. I was thinking of a 5x14 or 6x14-15. Sure I'd like to have a bigger one, but then it would really suck backing up on it wouldn't it?
There is one customer that is on a brick road in an old section of town and it's a tight sqeeze even with my little trailer. I'm afraid I'll have to loose him next year unless I can figure somethin out. Awful nice customer; always pays me a bit more than the normal rate.

green-pa
07-23-2008, 01:38 AM
My first mower was a 2002 48" TTHP with a 17 Kawi on it. It's a great mower that I still use every day. You really can't go wrong with either the 48 or the 52 on the size of properties that you have. What is the price difference between the two? The Exmark WB's crank easy, but the next WB I get will have electric start on it. It gets to be a pain having to pull the recoil when it's 100 degrees outside.

How does yours cut in grass that is a bit tall, say 6-10 inches? Does itstill mke an nice even cut? This stupid keyboard or pc isn't putting my key stroke n right. The Scag will cut so nice, better than any 21 inch I've used ( waaaayyy better ) I'm jst wondering if the TT wil be as good or bette.

C&K
07-23-2008, 11:05 AM
4 extra inches doesn't sound like much but in reality it is a huge advantage. The advantage that I'm talking about is front to back. The larger deck should enable you to mow faster. 2" out front and 2" in back is a bunch of relief for taller grass and weeds. Unless you just want to save a few dollars, get the 52". I would also consider the full size 52" turf tracer with the PTO, 20 or 23 horsepower kohler engine.

Tadams
07-23-2008, 08:39 PM
How does yours cut in grass that is a bit tall, say 6-10 inches? Does itstill mke an nice even cut? This stupid keyboard or pc isn't putting my key stroke n right. The Scag will cut so nice, better than any 21 inch I've used ( waaaayyy better ) I'm jst wondering if the TT wil be as good or bette.

All of my exmarks cut great. I have a mulch kit on the 48 and on one of the 60's so if the grass is 10" tall and you try to cut it down to 3" you will have to go over it twice to get a bagged look but we try and not let it get that tall. If you are mowing an every week client you will breeze right through it.

Genlandscape
07-23-2008, 08:56 PM
You will notice the 4" by lunch time. I run 56" and 50" ztr's, and there is a big difference. I also wouldn't purchase anything but an eXmark mower. My 36" wb is a great machine flawless cut even in the rainy season in the south(we cut some pretty tough turf sometimes).

dura to the max
07-23-2008, 10:27 PM
I have a 5x9 now so I'm certainly going to have to upgrade to fit a 36 in Scag and 48 or 52 inch Turf Tracer. I have a 21 inch but a planning on having a helper next year so we can just lift it out the truck bed. I don't like the though of getting too big of a trailer as it makes turning and fitting into tight spots a problem. I was thinking of a 5x14 or 6x14-15. Sure I'd like to have a bigger one, but then it would really suck backing up on it wouldn't it?
There is one customer that is on a brick road in an old section of town and it's a tight sqeeze even with my little trailer. I'm afraid I'll have to loose him next year unless I can figure somethin out. Awful nice customer; always pays me a bit more than the normal rate.

a larger trailer is MUCH easier to back, i pull a 16' for everything, and i had to pull an 8' single axle to pick up a mower from the shop and couldnt back it to save my life.

CrimsonLawnCare
07-24-2008, 11:08 PM
You should go with the bigger mower, it would be stupid to get a 48 go with a 52 mow what you can and if you got a gate thats wha the 36 AKA Backyard mower is for. Also i would recommend to get a 16 footer they are the best size trailer for lawn care, i swear by it. It turns and follows very nice and down the road once you get bigger you can put three mowers on it, because eventually if your service is good you will have a crew with three mowers running.

green-pa
07-25-2008, 10:17 PM
You should go with the bigger mower, it would be stupid to get a 48 go with a 52 mow what you can and if you got a gate thats wha the 36 AKA Backyard mower is for. Also i would recommend to get a 16 footer they are the best size trailer for lawn care, i swear by it. It turns and follows very nice and down the road once you get bigger you can put three mowers on it, because eventually if your service is good you will have a crew with three mowers running.

So a 16 footer would be easier to back up than my 9 foot? What about on TUrns? Would I have to do like a Semi and take up two lanes are something? Thanks for tha advice guys!

dura to the max
07-25-2008, 10:21 PM
a 9' trailer is less forgiving on backing up. to me it seems like the slightest touch of the steering wheel and im jacknifed. as far as u-turns, aint too much harder and normally 2 lanes are needed, but i cant make a regular u-turn even w/ a 9' trailer, it still takes 2 lanes

CrimsonLawnCare
07-26-2008, 01:25 AM
no if you go wit a 16 footer you can just turn normal, if you go anything bigger yes you have to start turning wide but a 16 footer is a nice trailer, it follows the truck nice, i wouldnt go any bigger then a 16 though

green-pa
07-26-2008, 01:15 PM
no if you go wit a 16 footer you can just turn normal, if you go anything bigger yes you have to start turning wide but a 16 footer is a nice trailer, it follows the truck nice, i wouldnt go any bigger then a 16 though

Ok. That's what I'll be looking for. Thanks Crimson.

green-pa
07-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Should I go with a dual axle or single, if I primarily plan on taking 2 wb's and occasionally some mulch? Also, will 4 wheels make any difference on turns vs. 2 wheels?

dura to the max
07-26-2008, 09:48 PM
get 2 axles. on a 16' trailer i dont think you can get a single axle, unless its a homemade job. a dual axle tows better, backs better, and is better for more weight. i haul a small skid or dingo on mine occasionally and its noce to have 1 trailer that can do it all.

CrimsonLawnCare
07-27-2008, 01:04 AM
ya go with 2 axles, my 16 foot trailer can haul a RC-50 tractor on it.

green-pa
07-28-2008, 01:48 AM
ya go with 2 axles, my 16 foot trailer can haul a RC-50 tractor on it.

ok will do thanks guys!

ed2hess
07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Keep in mind those double axles aren't free.....we use up about a couple tires a year and those are near $80. In other words don't get a double axle unless you are absolutely sure you need it....you slide those tires on tight turns and wear them down.

green-pa
08-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Ok, now I'm undecided between seeing the new Scag Pro-V 52 inch or an Exmark TurfTracer hp. I'm partial to Scag as my 36 inch has done so well for me over the last year I've had it. The Pro-V looks even easier on the hands than a TT.

dura to the max
08-03-2008, 09:39 PM
i looked at a pro-v the other day. i do run exmark/toro and love them, but ive had scags in the past and know that they make a great mower. so, looking at the pro-v from what i feel is as unbiased an opinion as i can give, i think it would be much easier on the hands for steering. however, the mower seemed waaaaay heavier than the tthp w/ no good way to lift up the front of the entire unit to prevent scalping or jump a curb. so in some regards it looks like it would be easier on the hands, but at the same time would be harder on the rest of the body.

green-pa
08-03-2008, 11:12 PM
i looked at a pro-v the other day. i do run exmark/toro and love them, but ive had scags in the past and know that they make a great mower. so, looking at the pro-v from what i feel is as unbiased an opinion as i can give, i think it would be much easier on the hands for steering. however, the mower seemed waaaaay heavier than the tthp w/ no good way to lift up the front of the entire unit to prevent scalping or jump a curb. so in some regards it looks like it would be easier on the hands, but at the same time would be harder on the rest of the body.

Heavier? I don't think it's that much heavier. Last I check, correct me if I'm wrong, but a 52 in TT hp is around 650-700 lbs. The 52 inch Pro-V is 700-710 lbs, so not a great deal heavier. Although it does look like it could be more challenging to lean back. I always turn my blades off if I have to go off the side of a curb. All my customers have driveways or areas I can easily go up to the lawn ( except a few ).

MileHigh
08-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Ive been thinking about this thread all week and yea...I wish I had bought the 52" deck....just for the extra trimming you can get around trees and such...and it's bigger.

Oh.. and I think my 48"tthp comes in around 630# and my 36" is only about 25# lighter from what I remember...I'll look in the manuals if I have too.

dura to the max
08-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Heavier? I don't think it's that much heavier. Last I check, correct me if I'm wrong, but a 52 in TT hp is around 650-700 lbs. The 52 inch Pro-V is 700-710 lbs, so not a great deal heavier. Although it does look like it could be more challenging to lean back. I always turn my blades off if I have to go off the side of a curb. All my customers have driveways or areas I can easily go up to the lawn ( except a few ).

i said seemed heavier, but that could very well have been the way its set up. i like to be able to lift the front of my mower while cutting a lawn to prevent scalping and what-not. as far as curbs, i was think about commercial accounts. i too turn the blades off, but it seems that it would be a challenge to jump a curb w/o scraping the bottom side of the deck constantly. i havent used one yet, so my reaction was that of a gut feeling when inspecting the unit at in the showroom. i do love my tthp though.

green-pa
08-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Yeah. That Pro-V is so new, it seems it hasn't had a chance to be well tried out enough to get many educated opinions on it. I called one place out here and they said they just put their first one on the show room 2 weeks ago.
And I hear there is a learning curve on it when u are used to the pistol grips but I don't mind learning if it's going to save my hands and/or arms from carpel tunnel, not to mention my back is more tired from having to use my own strength to back my belt drive up most the time, but then that problem would be solved with any hydro.