PDA

View Full Version : Community Mulch

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-16-2002, 05:05 PM
Have any of you lco's gotten together with other lco's and have a common mulch pile? I only use about 150 yards/mulch in a season and I'm tired of paying $16/yard. Doesn't leave much room for markup. What I would like to do is get about 8 lco's together and stockpile mulch for our own jobs. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!!! LAWNS AND MOWER

rodney
01-16-2002, 08:52 PM
you better stick to paying the 16. or it could be worse .

Randy Scott
01-16-2002, 09:22 PM
I know prices vary all over, but I wish we could buy mulch for $16 a yard here.
You will need a huge area to hold all that mulch, 8 guys taking say 100 yards each, 800 yards, who is going to keep track of who takes how much also, the honor system, yeah right. If you can get 8 guys together to agree to this, that buying it together will save you money, I think you would be better off getting those 8 businesses to agree on raising their prices so you all make better money. I think you're setting yourself up for more headaches. Slinging mulch around here is probably some of my most profitable work. Prices must really vary from area to area.Just something to ponder!

scagman
01-16-2002, 11:48 PM
This may sound dumb but is MULCH = BARK????????

65hoss
01-17-2002, 12:36 AM
To much trouble. Spend time trying to negotiate cheaper price.

Mulch can be bark, pine needles, ground up trees, etc.

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-17-2002, 10:48 AM
I've talked to one of my friendly competitors and he's in the same boat I'm in. He's into this idea also and he has a buddy that would let us store the mulch on his property plus he has a loader also. We would be real selective as to who we would allow into this mulch co-op. I hope the honor system would work, but we know how that goes. I live about 1 hour from 3 lumber yards so we could get a tractor-trailer of mulch for about $600. Each load holds about 90 yards so it would run us about $7/yard , mark up to $20/yard plus labor to spread it. We would only stockpile about 300 yards at a time so the seed money to get this thing started wouldn't be that much. Just wondering if any other lco's have tried this?

LAWNS AND MOWER

mdb landscaping
01-17-2002, 03:31 PM
i myself cant get mulch that cheap either. i get mulch at landscapers price starting at $23 a yd for pine bark mulch. if you do go this route, just make sure you turn the pile over frequently so it doesnt become acidic. i bought mulch one time from a local nursery, and they didnt turn the mulch, and when i applied it, it destroyed all the shrubs. of course they covered it, but you have to becareful if the mulch will be sitting for awhile.

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-17-2002, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the tip mdb. I've heard of mulch piles catching on fire from internal combustion. That would suck. See our 300 yard pile of mulch reduced to ashes!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

bob
01-17-2002, 08:20 PM
$16 is what I also pay for mulch. But I charge $45-50 a yard installed. As for a community pile, I'd stay away from that idea. So and so took more than me and thats not fair. You get the idea.

GreenStar
01-17-2002, 10:49 PM
can you guy's get wood chips from the city for free? i know they can run them through a screen they do in some parts of michigan

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-21-2002, 10:38 AM
I got mulch from the landfill and was a big mistake. They chip everything into one pile. Pallets, Christmas trees, you name it. Took twice as long to spread the mulch due to having to clean the trash out of the mulch. Just found a new supplier of mulch for only $12/yard so my community mulch pile idea will be put on the back burner. Thanks for all the input

LAWNS AND MOWER

Got Grass?
01-21-2002, 01:17 PM
You guys been using the same dealer?
If not how about getting all the guys together and offering to prepay for a bunch of mulch. Pick up when needed. Bet thay would cut ya a deal. Ya could also try and set up a prepay balance for thoes who need more then just one type of mulch.

The place I get mine from (large large place), wholesales to other LCO's and the more ya buy the less it is. So what I do is go in early spring before thay raise thier prices for the season. Buy a bunch of yrds. at a deal. When I need it I just have em load me up and mark the origional reciept.

Would work out really good if you run multiple crews and trucks. Employess dont touch your money. and if the truck cant handle what ya origionaly payed for ya just pick it up later. Also thay know and will only load a safe ammount on the truck. Nothing like having your own guys load up the truck only 1/2 way so thay have to make more trips or till its bottoming out, unsafe and ruins the truck.

plow kid
01-21-2002, 01:45 PM
we usualy buy 20 yards in the early spring also just before they raise prices... I can get colored pallet chips for $16.00 a yard..... and shreadded tree's/ brush for $7.00 a yard(looks good!)

I wouldnt do the joint mulch pile unless it is say 8 smaller 15 yard piles insted of 1 big 120 yard pile ~ NaTe