PDA

View Full Version : Pricing help for landscape job please

jimithing31
07-22-2008, 08:44 PM
One of my customers wants their front yard replaced, 4 hedges replaced that died and the beds remulched.

In total there is about 600 sqft of sod (ST. AUGUSTINE) needs to be layed. I first need to till up the entire area as its mostly dead.

Pull the 4 dead hedges and replace.

lay approx. 2 yards total of mulch

I estimate the materials to be at $300 my cost.

I am not sure what to price labor at. Any help appreciated

jimithing31
07-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Really?? No help here?? Do I need to give more details??

CALandscapes
07-23-2008, 11:58 PM
What's your hourly rate and how long do you expect it to take?

Sounds to me like one guy could do everything in a day, no problem. That being said, I'd be looking at around $300 labor, and a mark-up on materials.

yamadooski
07-24-2008, 02:16 AM
Gee wiz another one of these hourly rate guys.
600 for the sod repair comes out 1.00 per foot.
cost of bush and times it by 3.
mulch is whatever you charge. we charge 2.5 of the cost.
add in the cost of dumping fee for the sod.
add in the cost of fuel..

Do it this way and no one will ever know your labor rate. Next thing, every Tom Dick and Blowhead will under cut each others labor rate.

Do you really think you can compete with a labor rate of a poor person living with 10 others under the same roof all sharing the same car?

JNyz
07-24-2008, 07:16 AM

Do it this way and no one will ever know your labor rate. Next thing, every Tom Dick and Blowhead will under cut each others labor rate.

Do you really think you can compete with a labor rate of a poor person living with 10 others under the same roof all sharing the same car?

Sounds about right.

CALandscapes
07-25-2008, 08:59 AM
When I refer to "hourly rate," I'm talking about the amount I charge per hour for each man in order to cover my overhead, payroll, and profit margin I hope for.

No, I don't go to Betty Homeowner's and say I'll install her landscape for $40/hr. I just know, when running the numbers for a bid, how much to charge for labor. I know how much labor will be involved in a task/jon through experience.

Lawnworks
07-25-2008, 07:45 PM
It sounds like it will burn a day up on the job by the time you get all the materials on the jobsite... materials plus whatever you want per day. Usually for a two man crew I would want 700-1000 in gross labor.

yamadooski
07-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Ok its just sounds like you charge by the hour the way you worded it.
I use formulas for landscaping and mowing.
Now if a job takes less than half a day I do my formula and then add in a lot extra for drive time and usually schedule 2-3 little jobs all in one day.

jimithing31
07-26-2008, 11:58 AM

So these prices would be on top of the material cost if I am understanding it correctly??

And how would you quote this all in the estimate? You would not break down pricing correct? Seems that would make it easy for a customer to shop around.

jimithing31
07-26-2008, 02:08 PM
well I just sent her an estimate for $1550. Includes all materials, labor, delivery and waste disposal. Does this sound fair? under/over

I know I am going to spend about $120 just in gas and tolls alone to get the materials there and debris removal.

yard_smart
07-26-2008, 02:14 PM
if they are going to shop around i don't want them as a customer !!!

FordLawnLandscape
07-27-2008, 08:07 AM
$1550.00 sounds good. With 2 guys there max. 1 guy should have this finished in a day NO PROBLEM.

jimithing31
07-27-2008, 04:18 PM
$1550.00 sounds good. With 2 guys there max. 1 guy should have this finished in a day NO PROBLEM.

that's what it would be, me one other guy.

wildstarblazer
07-28-2008, 12:29 AM
If you get that customer to pay that much to lay a pallet of sod a few plants and some mulch it may be the last job you get from her or anyone she knows when she finds out the service down the street would have done it for around $700. sorry you sent that proposal out already. A bit high if you ask me.

jimithing31
07-28-2008, 01:13 AM
If you get that customer to pay that much to lay a pallet of sod a few plants and some mulch it may be the last job you get from her or anyone she knows when she finds out the service down the street would have done it for around $700. sorry you sent that proposal out already. A bit high if you ask me.

I think different. considering the existing yard needs to be stripped off and disposed of. The grass was killed off by a chinch bugs so the ground will need to be treated before new sod is laid. New top soil spread. Lay a pallet and a half of sod and about 1.5 - 2 yards of mulch. Hedge replacement. Trimming up of all existing landscape. And i fugure about a tank of gas to do all the delivery. ($120 gas alone) I refigured all materials with a more accurate measuring of the property and came up with about $500 in materials.

You say a bit high... What would you have priced it at. consider materials at $500 what would you charge for markup and labor??

JNyz
07-28-2008, 07:38 AM

Why do you think selling the job all depends on price?

yard_smart
07-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Why do you think selling the job all depends on price?

Exactly why i said if she is going to shop around she wouldn't be my customer. You can't go look at a BMW then go look at a Honda civic and compare accurately.

I tell them up from im prolly gonna be the highest mam but with that you will receive the highest vale possible (uniformed staff, lettered truck and equipment, GREAT customer service, professionalism and a quality job) and those customers will be repeat customers and will pay extra for your services

JNyz
07-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Exactly why i said if she is going to shop around she wouldn't be my customer. You can't go look at a BMW then go look at a Honda civic and compare accurately.

I tell them up from im prolly gonna be the highest mam but with that you will receive the highest vale possible (uniformed staff, lettered truck and equipment, GREAT customer service, professionalism and a quality job) and those customers will be repeat customers and will pay extra for your services

It seems most contractors on this board think price is the reason they get and do not get jobs. I do not think this is the case. There is so much more that goes into a clients choice. I just did a proposal for 11 yards of mulch, 80.00 in shrubs[1 boxwood, 10 lirope] some weeding, placed 10 single man rocks, removed 1 small stump, spread 1 yard of soil and seeded area. My total price was 2100.00. She said I was over 500 higher then the rest of her proposals. I spoke with her for another 15 minutes and said good bye. I didn't think I would get the job. When I got home I received an email, when can you start. There is so much more then price. When some of you realize this you will begin to get paid what you deserve. Oh, I finished this in 7 hours with a three man crew.

wildstarblazer
07-28-2008, 07:38 PM
I think different. considering the existing yard needs to be stripped off and disposed of. The grass was killed off by a chinch bugs so the ground will need to be treated before new sod is laid. New top soil spread. Lay a pallet and a half of sod and about 1.5 - 2 yards of mulch. Hedge replacement. Trimming up of all existing landscape. And i fugure about a tank of gas to do all the delivery. ($120 gas alone) I refigured all materials with a more accurate measuring of the property and came up with about $500 in materials.

You say a bit high... What would you have priced it at. consider materials at $500 what would you charge for markup and labor??

You left out a few of these things to be done in the origanal post. however even with the extra things should'nt be much more. Even at $500 material cost, and approximate 8 hours labor to complete.I could probobly do it by myself in less than 8 hours for $1000 and net $500. I'm not saying everything is about price but it is important and a customer finds out your charging a significant ammount higher than others, they would frown on that. I could see if it was a really hard job but this seems easy(to me anyway). Hey I'm all for higher prices for us hard working lawn guys but with all the guys who are willing to kill themselves for nothing makes it harder to get better prices.

wildstarblazer
07-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Also, I wouldn't haul off the old grass. I would till it under and add some bagged compost or topsoil if you want. When I trim hedges I rake or blow it on the grass and mulch it all up with the mower. Anything big left I take but shouldn't't be much. Heck, in some cases with st. Augustine grass I used to just wip it down with a weedeater and lay right over the old spot, treat bugs if needed and maybe add some soil to level low spots but the sod took well.

yard_smart
07-29-2008, 11:02 AM
You left out a few of these things to be done in the origanal post. however even with the extra things should'nt be much more. Even at $500 material cost, and approximate 8 hours labor to complete.I could probobly do it by myself in less than 8 hours for $1000 and net $500Your gonna work 8 hours for 500 bucks?. I'm not saying everything is about price but it is important and a customer finds out your charging a significant ammount higher than others, they would frown on that. not if your price is backed up by value!!! I could see if it was a really hard job but this seems easy(to me anyway). Hey I'm all for higher prices for us hard working lawn guys but with all the guys who are willing to kill themselves for nothing makes it harder to get better prices.Don't go after customers that would hire hacks with no insurance and that don't wear shirts let alone company ones

It really comes down to working less and making more!!!!

wildstarblazer
07-29-2008, 07:19 PM
c'mon dood, $500 bucks for a days work is good in my book. Maybe i'm outa touch with reality since i'm a solo op. but seems most services on this forum shoot for the $60 per hour range anyway. 8x60= 480

yard_smart
07-29-2008, 07:42 PM
I too am a solo op and i shoot for 70/hr when mowing but when the landscaping gets involved the prices goes up! and just because your materials are 500 doesn't mean you net the rest. What about insurance, WC, marketing money, wear and tear factors, office supply expenditures, uniforms, and so on . .. . or do you not have al of those. If not then thats the reason you are "making" what you are because you don't have the necessities to sell on value. If you do have all that then you should be making more than what you said. At least i know my numbers wouldn't let me get by on a job where materials where 50% of the gross . . . . IMO

wildstarblazer
07-29-2008, 10:27 PM
everybody brings up the expenses insurance, bla, bla, bla. Anyone in the business a while especialy solo small guys know the overhead to run a lawn service is as cheap as business gets. if I make $500 a day(I don't by the way) for 5 days = $2500 a week. What kind of overhead do you have that that kind of money can't pay?

jimithing31
07-29-2008, 10:34 PM
I too am a solo op and i shoot for 70/hr when mowing but when the landscaping gets involved the prices goes up! and just because your materials are 500 doesn't mean you net the rest. What about insurance, WC, marketing money, wear and tear factors, office supply expenditures, uniforms, and so on . .. . or do you not have al of those. If not then thats the reason you are "making" what you are because you don't have the necessities to sell on value. If you do have all that then you should be making more than what you said. At least i know my numbers wouldn't let me get by on a job where materials where 50% of the gross . . . . IMO

This is what I was dealing with when trying to come up with this price. I am just starting to get into doing full landscape jobs and I DO NOT want to be "that guy" that will always come in and beat someones price to get the job. And then perform shoddy incomplete or unthorough jobs. I do have overhead and I plan on being in this business for a long long time. That means I need to make enough to cover all expenses and still put money away.

I just saw this kind today that looked like he just went out and bought home depot special full setup that was out door knocking on homeowners who have not cut in a while on a block that I do 4 homes. He started cutting this guys lawn the same time I started my lawns. I had all for done and equipment loaded up rolling away and this guy had not even started string trimming. Same size lawn as the ones I was doing.

The saddest thing is the guy was putting flyers on doors that said prices starting at $50 per month. About $30 less than average for the neighborhood. He definatly won't be around long like that. Kid had about $9000 in brand new equipment sitting on his trailer incl. trailer.

yard_smart
07-29-2008, 10:53 PM
everybody brings up the expenses insurance, bla, bla, bla. Anyone in the business a while especialy solo small guys know the overhead to run a lawn service is as cheap as business gets. if I make $500 a day(I don't by the way) for 5 days = $2500 a week. What kind of overhead do you have that that kind of money can't pay?

All ill say is good luck owning your job

shovelracer
07-29-2008, 11:04 PM

Are you kidding me? I am full service currently solo for the last 2 months and spend 65% of the time mowing. 90% of my expenses are mower related. Heck I tow 70K around all day to make a few bucks mowing. I make more showing up with just a shovel to plant shrubs. Its not about having too much equipment, or not running my business properly. Yes a lot of guys are running around without WC and a $500 liability policy. I spend 10K a year on insurance for the full boat and sleep well at night. Sure I could use a 1993 Bobcat 52" WB, but my clients appreciate the results of newer better running mowers, Yes I could use a dodge dakota to pull my trailer, but I prefer not to endanger everyone else on the road when I go to work. You get my point. Its cheap to be a hack, but it costs a fortune to run a professional, legit mowing operation.

Even people that appear legit often arent. I was undercut on a large church property last week by $120 / week by a local big boy. Come to find out he doesnt have WC even though he has 7 crews. I was sure I would get the job because of the insurance issue. The board decided it was cheaper to go with the other guy and pay the surcharge on their policy instead of hiring a legit company. Issues like these ruin our market and make it even harder to make a living. $500 a day, that may fly in other parts of the country, but I wouldnt even leave my house for that.

wildstarblazer
07-29-2008, 11:09 PM
thats the problem in this business. People just don't seem to want to pay a lawn guy what it should be because anybody with a truck and mower can be in business and they need money to pay for all that new equipment so they figure I'll just go low to generate some income then I'll raise em later but later never comes. In wealthy areas it may not be as much a problem but for poor areas like where I am they will opt for the lower guy. I was in south florida most of my life and the lowballers never bothered me cause I had high end customers who appreciated a good job. I live in a really bad place for lawn service now which is too long of a story but even 70 year old men have a truck and mower and are taking accounts.:cry: most of my experience comes from 20 years of lawn and landscape in florida. Now I have time to write on these forums:laugh:

jimithing31
07-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Are you kidding me? I am full service currently solo for the last 2 months and spend 65% of the time mowing. 90% of my expenses are mower related. Heck I tow 70K around all day to make a few bucks mowing. I make more showing up with just a shovel to plant shrubs. Its not about having too much equipment, or not running my business properly. Yes a lot of guys are running around without WC and a $500 liability policy. I spend 10K a year on insurance for the full boat and sleep well at night. Sure I could use a 1993 Bobcat 52" WB, but my clients appreciate the results of newer better running mowers, Yes I could use a dodge dakota to pull my trailer, but I prefer not to endanger everyone else on the road when I go to work. You get my point. Its cheap to be a hack, but it costs a fortune to run a professional, legit mowing operation.

Even people that appear legit often arent. I was undercut on a large church property last week by $120 / week by a local big boy. Come to find out he doesnt have WC even though he has 7 crews. I was sure I would get the job because of the insurance issue. The board decided it was cheaper to go with the other guy and pay the surcharge on their policy instead of hiring a legit company. Issues like these ruin our market and make it even harder to make a living. $500 a day, that may fly in other parts of the country, but I wouldnt even leave my house for that.

:weightlifter::laugh::drinkup: What he said... Except the $ 500 per day part. Not yet at least....

wildstarblazer
07-29-2008, 11:33 PM
why are you guys making it so hard on yourselves? Insurance, I think it's great you have it. WC for solo op ehh I don't know but $70k to be a solo act is way overkill to me. I'm positive you can have less exspensive set up with quality equipment especially if your the only one using it and be just as efficient. talk about letting a business run you.

Lawnworks
07-29-2008, 11:39 PM
why are you guys making it so hard on yourselves? Insurance, I think it's great you have it. WC for solo op ehh I don't know but $70k to be a solo act is way overkill to me. I'm positive you can have less exspensive set up with quality equipment especially if your the only one using it and be just as efficient. talk about letting a business run you.

Some people like to look like they are successful... rather than be successful?

I prefer used trucks, mowers, bobcat, dingo, attachments... my bottom line appreciates that.

Stillwater
07-29-2008, 11:51 PM

Hey Einstein.... you can have a rate and not disclose it, every business with a well written business plan has a rate or did you not know that? or do you not have one? my god man....

shovelracer
07-30-2008, 10:42 PM

I agree, and at one point was doing just that, 1 mower, 1 truck etc. The only reason Im solo is cause I wound up with a bad bunch this year. It was costing me more to keep them on than to get rid of them and drop a few poor accounts. All replacements have been thieves, druggies, or just no shows so solo I stay. When the time is right I can start up another crew at no cost. And yes I still have to carry the equipment, but Id rather work 70 hours and live well than work less with a bad crew and give my name a bad rep.

As far as setups go. Around here you need large setups to make money. Yes you can get by with 1 48" WB, but you cant cover anywhere near as much ground as with the right tools. On the other hand I worked a few summers in another state years ago and anything more than a 21" was overkill. 1 mini pickup, 2 weedeaters, 2 21's, and a blower and a bucket made you tons of money. Its all about geographic area. Believe me I know I have a lot of equipment, but I wouldnt have it if I didnt need it. I spent many years just getting by, but now I get to live much better.

Lawnworks
07-30-2008, 11:00 PM
I agree, and at one point was doing just that, 1 mower, 1 truck etc. The only reason Im solo is cause I wound up with a bad bunch this year. It was costing me more to keep them on than to get rid of them and drop a few poor accounts. All replacements have been thieves, druggies, or just no shows so solo I stay. When the time is right I can start up another crew at no cost. And yes I still have to carry the equipment, but Id rather work 70 hours and live well than work less with a bad crew and give my name a bad rep.

As far as setups go. Around here you need large setups to make money. Yes you can get by with 1 48" WB, but you cant cover anywhere near as much ground as with the right tools. On the other hand I worked a few summers in another state years ago and anything more than a 21" was overkill. 1 mini pickup, 2 weedeaters, 2 21's, and a blower and a bucket made you tons of money. Its all about geographic area. Believe me I know I have a lot of equipment, but I wouldnt have it if I didnt need it. I spent many years just getting by, but now I get to live much better.

70k for a set-up? Get real. One used TT, isuzu, and weedeaters for 17k will do the trick.

jimithing31
07-30-2008, 11:01 PM

The first time your machine throws a stone into the head of a kid you will wish you had it. :dizzy:

Lawnworks
07-30-2008, 11:05 PM
I used to buy all new stuff... but lets face it... new stuff breaks too. I would rather spend half as much as new and still have enough to have back-up equipment and trucks.

wildstarblazer
07-31-2008, 03:20 PM
The first time your machine throws a stone into the head of a kid you will wish you had it. :dizzy:

I meant I think it's right to have liability but workers comp for solo is unnecesary. Getting Back to the original post, did you get the job or is customer thinking it over?

wildstarblazer
07-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I used to buy all new stuff... but lets face it... new stuff breaks too. I would rather spend half as much as new and still have enough to have back-up equipment and trucks.

Shwoo, I was beginning to think I was alone on this one.

jimithing31
07-31-2008, 05:50 PM
I meant I think it's right to have liability but workers comp for solo is unnecesary. Getting Back to the original post, did you get the job or is customer thinking it over?

Not yet... The property manager that oversees the house is still waiting for an answer from the actual home owner.. We'll see...

jimithing31
07-31-2008, 05:53 PM

No kidding.... Why but brand new shiny stuff just to take it out and get it all dirty... Lightly used is definatly the way to go IMHO. SOmeone else payed that brand new sticker price the I grab it up when they couldn't make it out there and they are dumping stuff off cheap...

Plus to me Shiney brand new equipment makes you look like the new johnny come lately out there...

shovelracer
07-31-2008, 09:48 PM
I meant I think it's right to have liability but workers comp for solo is unnecesary.

What about the commercial jobs that require it, or homeowner association properties? For residential maybe unless you get hurt and your health care policy wont cover it or runs out or is limited. Believe me I dont like paying the bill, but its insurance. There are smaller commercials and HOA out there that do require it and are more than manageable for a solo guy.

Lawnworks
08-01-2008, 12:11 AM

Sometimes it is better to be in the minority... remember 60% of all small businesses fail. The average person has 20k in credit card debt. I like seeing lco's get all new stuff... it means in a couple years I will get a hell of a deal on it.

yard_smart
08-01-2008, 03:49 AM
Sometimes it is better to be in the minority... remember 60% of all small businesses fail. The average person has 20k in credit card debt. I like seeing lco's get all new stuff... it means in a couple years I will get a hell of a deal on it.

Not always . .. . there is nothing wrong with charging 20k dollars worth of stuff as long as you KNOW it will pay for its self!

as far as the WC . .. .I pay 734 dollars a YEAR!!!!! If you can't cover that something is seriously wrong!!!

J.Z.Smith Landscaping
08-06-2008, 10:48 PM
well I just sent her an estimate for $1550. Includes all materials, labor, delivery and waste disposal. Does this sound fair? under/over

I know I am going to spend about $120 just in gas and tolls alone to get the materials there and debris removal.

i would have to say that's fair. i hope your marking up all your materials 25 percent because that right there will cover your fuel. i never tell the customer about fuel and its not figured into the estimate because it is an operation cost. if fuel goes up my rate goes with it. I don't normally price things by the job. its hourly and its per worker. some times the pricing by the job work and some times you get screwed. base your price on what the quality of your work reflects and on your over head. however when it comes down to it no ones going to be able to tell you exactly what to charge. remember a quot is completely different than an estimate, and make shore you make that clear. Always put your estimates in writing. good luck

J.Z.Smith Landscaping
08-06-2008, 10:56 PM

dude have you ever herd the phrase "**** happens"? dosn't matter how big or small you are.

wildstarblazer
08-07-2008, 10:54 PM
why everyone is misunderstanding that quote I don't know. Let me say for the record. YOU SHOULD HAVE INSURANCE < SMALL OR BIG>

Stillwater
08-08-2008, 01:47 AM

I thought it was 92% fail

sancho_man_orlando
08-09-2008, 09:29 AM
The saddest thing is the guy was putting flyers on doors that said prices starting at $50 per month. About $30 less than average for the neighborhood.

What area is this that there are $80 neighborhoods? With 4.3 weeks on average per month that's less than $20 per week.

You need to move up to nicer neighborhoods...

jimithing31
08-09-2008, 10:33 AM
What area is this that there are $80 neighborhoods? With 4.3 weeks on average per month that's less than $20 per week.

Eagle Creek south of 417 off Narcoosee. Average starts at $80 per month in there for basic. ALOT of competition in there and undercutting. I hear ya about getting out of there. Working on it slowly. I have 6 properties in Keenes Point back by Islesworth that Pay nearly $200 per month average. And a few more in Bay Hill.

By the way ....

The job that I originally posted this thread about ... I did not get. Some SCAB is going to do it for $500 . Materials included . He cannot be making more than about $150 for the whole job. If he is doing it by himself it's gonna take at least 12 hours. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::confused:

jimithing31
08-09-2008, 10:37 AM

Hell even I am under priced in that neighborhood due to the fact I bought a guy out that was underpriced and acquired the accounts VERY cheap. I have been slowly raising prices on them though. to get them to area equilibrium.