PDA

View Full Version : Your experience with this stuff?

PerfiCut L&L
07-22-2008, 10:06 PM
This Cell-Tek (http://www.celltekdirect.com/product_stabilizer_grid.html) stuff is becoming more and more popular, atleast around here. I know of two hardscape companies using this stuff on all their jobs now.

Anyone here using it, and if so what's been your experience?

I've talked to our Techo rep here and he says their not ready to support its use officially, since ICPI hasnt accepted it as a standard of practice nor confirmed it's stability and longevity claims.

I think once ICPI politics' it and can get some kickback they will endorse it. But who knows how long that might be.

Just curious.

We migh give it a shot on a small project around here at the shop, just to see how easy it is to use and how well it holds up.

shethinksmytractors_sexy
07-22-2008, 10:20 PM
i have used a product similar to that. it is a plastic grid made for like grass driveways and stuff. you lay your base which is 6" of gravel compacted then lay out the grid and compact again. then you just fill with topsoil and put some seed or fertilizer in it. we used it at a house and made a u-shaped driveway with it. it was real cool because you couldent tell there was a driveway there but it actually was, it just looked like there yard. i went back a couple months later to see if their cars have tore the yard up but it looked absolutely perfect. its a nice idea i think. more people are getting into the idea of that here but i dont really know of anybody using it yet

White Gardens
07-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Pavelock has something similar called a turfstone. I haven't use it, but I've got a customer that wants to use it in a patio and plant creeping thyme in the cells. It looks neat, and I don't see a problem with it.

White Gardens
07-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Pavelock has something similar called a turfstone. I haven't use it, but I've got a customer that wants to use it in a patio and plant creeping thyme in the cells. It looks neat, and I don't see a problem with it.

Rex Mann
07-22-2008, 11:30 PM
You should re-read the page from the link. It goes under the
aggregate base. It is being used as a stabilizing material, not a
paver like turf stone.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com

Rex Mann
07-22-2008, 11:32 PM
I will be at an ICPI event in a couple of weeks, I will ask the powers-that-be what they thing.

Peace,

Rex

PaversInstalled.Com

PerfiCut L&L
07-22-2008, 11:56 PM
According to the specs, a 2" layer of this, filled and compacted with crusher run is equivalent to 10" of compacted base. It apparently has all the same stability characteristics of 10" but you only have to put in 2" .

Stillwater
07-23-2008, 02:01 AM
My rock star neighbors driveway has this.. it does look cool as hell he told me it was about 85,000 installed but his is on a massive scale and their is a paver pattern mixed in it,.....

Lite4
07-23-2008, 03:18 AM
I installed it earlier this year on two projects. One on a commercial job as emergency vehicle parking 20' x 300'. Then also on a private residence for RV access across a stretch of lawn. So far seems to hold up very well and you can't even tell it is there.

Stillwater
07-23-2008, 03:25 AM
paver like turf stone.

Peace,

Rex

yes but this is also used with loam infill for planting grass or other.......It has more uses then just placement under a aggregate

PerfiCut L&L
07-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I think the attraction with using this stuff for pavers is that it reduces the amount of excavation to 50% or less. May not be worth it on a small walkway or patio, but on a larger project, perhaps a driveway, it could save a ton of time and materials.

PatriotLandscape
07-23-2008, 07:46 PM
grasspave is the product around here. its is neat but not for small projects. they can make all the claims they want the hassle of dealing with the product would outweigh savings on any patio or walkway.

White Gardens
07-24-2008, 10:00 AM
paver like turf stone.

Peace,

Rex

Ah, I didn't see the link in the original post. The stuff looks cool. It would save time especially on a larger project, and it looked like it was rated for some heavy loads.

Just by looking at it, it would probably help hold your walk-way or driveways over the years, and help to keep dips from forming. It reminds me of Geo-fabric for retaining walls.