PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and protecting dump insert

pj550v12
07-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Or any steel bed for that matter. I'm having a new truck craft dump insert installed Thursday and was curious what you folks do to protect the dump from rust and rot. If anyone says buy aluminum, I gladly will if they donate the extra 2 grand. Seriously though, I dont imagine you can really apply any type of wax, the surface is suseptable to tons of heavy rubbing, dumping things like stones, so what do you do?

J&R Landscaping
07-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Fluid film should do it. You may be able to buy a paint on bedliner as well. Just keep the electrical connections coated with de-lectric grease.

Raven386
07-22-2008, 11:58 PM
you couldve asked me. I wouldve told you Fluid Film too.

Gravel Rat
07-23-2008, 12:41 AM
Hard to prevent rust except for lots of paint and fluid film on areas where you don't mind being greasy.

Raven386
07-23-2008, 01:52 AM
im sure we could do a DIY bed liner from HD. we have a torch and a welder. pretty much got everything we need.

Stillwater
07-23-2008, 02:06 AM
don't worry about it use the truck as it is intended prime paint as needed or once a year.

Guzman Properties
07-23-2008, 10:43 AM
I purchased a used dump insert last year. I sanded the entire unit down and painted with POR 15 paint. I have used the dump for mulch, dirt, and stone, and it still looks great.

SpruceLandscape
08-26-2008, 07:03 PM
I purchased a 2 year old dump insert last year, have had it now for the second season. Here is what I have learned.... lol

If its steel, it WILL rust... no matter what...

So... Fluid film ALL the bolts and hardware once a month, keeps em new and easy to remove. No problems at all. Also, fluid film all the underside creases and inside corners since chances they will never see soap and water. All hydraulic fittings, areas that rub (rubber bump stops, hinges, etc.) and they have all stayed in like new condition, even with this insert riding around in the winter salt water of Cleveland! As far as the bed surface goes... spent almost an entire weekend when I first got this thing grinding and sanding the inside and bed rails down, cleaning with surface prep, then painted with 4 coats of POR 15. Both the original (underneath) and the UV stable (on top of original) but it didn't matter. The only places that held up at were in a few select corners that don't see much material movement. By the 3rd mulch job after all that work almost the entire bed floor had been scraped back down to metal.

Bottom line... once a year repair any bubbling paint areas and spray with a good quality enamel paint and call it a season right before winter.

HOLLYWOOD6973
08-27-2008, 09:38 PM
just use it. It will last a very long time

nobagger
08-27-2008, 09:49 PM
just use it. It will last a very long time

Dido! Mine is on its second season and it still looks ok but rusting in several places, as far as the actual bed, I use mine every day dumping grass, mulch, stones etc and we run bulk salt in the winter and its worn but not rotting through. Probably like every one said.....fluid film comes to mind. As long as it works and doesnt look like its going to fall apart who cares, its for work its gonna get dinged,scratched and rust thats the life of this type of equipment.