PDA

View Full Version : Windermere House - Elements

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-23-2008, 03:34 AM
Here are the 1st set of photos from my Windermere House project. I took these to establish shooting locations and camera settings for the "real shoot" which will happen next week. I am going to have all of the interior lighting turned on to give it a symmetrical, lived in look, and have the upper level awnings retracted for the final shoot.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-23-2008, 03:38 AM
Here are some more...

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-23-2008, 03:42 AM
And Finally...

moonlighting
07-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Nice job James! what fixture did you use to light the stone columns?

jason

cgaengineer
07-23-2008, 06:38 AM
That looks fantastic! That looked to be a pretty large lighting job.

JohnnyRoyale
07-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Nice work. I notice your from Muskoka, how far south do you go?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Nice job James! what fixture did you use to light the stone columns?

jason

Well LOOK at that! Jason Flemming here on Lawnsite! Who woulda ever known? :canadaflag:

CopperMoon Bullets and Floods got the nod for the lighting on the stone work Jason. Great combination of sturdy construction, pleasing aesthetics and good value.

Have a great day.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Nice work. I notice your from Muskoka, how far south do you go?

Hi John... I dont think we have ever had the opportunity to meet. Most of my work is here in Muskoka but I do have jobs in Kitchener/Waterloo, Cambridge, Milton, Oakville, Toronto, Klienburg, King, Creemore, Collingwood, Barrie, Orillia and Parry Sound. I have a rather large job coming on line this fall right in Innisfill (Big Bay Point).

Remember that Landscape Ontario has a new group for us Lighting Guys. The lighting commodity group is open to new members and is a great place to network.

Have a great day.

Lite4
07-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Very nice work James. Beautiful photos too. I really like the photo standing below and right of the hotel with the stone wall and steps in the foreground. I can only imagine how gloomy it must have been before. I also see what you mean by having a par 30 pointing up in those carriage lights. don't know why I hadn't thought of that.

John Pletcher
07-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Good job James. Nice to see your work.

TXNSLighting
07-23-2008, 12:22 PM
James doing up lighting???!!! I never woulda thought.. ha! Looks good James.

Chris J
07-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Nice work. What fixture did you decide upon for downlighting at the dormers? Did you tie into the existing electrical and use the Lightech transformers? How is it all controlled?

JoeyD
07-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Well its about time Solecki!!! You had us all wondering if you actually do any lighting!!!

JUST KIDDING!

Great photos, the lighting is marvelous!

klkanders
07-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Very Nice! Great pics. That building is incredible!

Keith

JohnnyRoyale
07-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi John... I dont think we have ever had the opportunity to meet. Most of my work is here in Muskoka but I do have jobs in Kitchener/Waterloo, Cambridge, Milton, Oakville, Toronto, Klienburg, King, Creemore, Collingwood, Barrie, Orillia and Parry Sound. I have a rather large job coming on line this fall right in Innisfill (Big Bay Point).

Remember that Landscape Ontario has a new group for us Lighting Guys. The lighting commodity group is open to new members and is a great place to network.

Have a great day.

I moved my business up here last here from Etobicoke, to be closer to home, and get out of the Rat Race in the big city. Work is starting to pick up for us this way, in fact we haven't had to go any further south than Hwy 9 this year for any install jobs, and getting lots of interest from Collingwood, Barrie, Orillia, in fact we're just finishing a pool installation in Honey Harbour. We don't do any lighting (in house), and ususally don't get involved, but now I have someone I can pass the client onto, as your work appears to be A1, and your somewhat local. I had all my referring contacts in place down in the city, but no-one seems to want to travel north for some reason. Good to see some neighbours on lawnsite. Have a good one.

pihta
07-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Nice house and lighting job! How many fixtures you use?

Like the last pictures, with chairs.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Nice work. What fixture did you decide upon for downlighting at the dormers? Did you tie into the existing electrical and use the Lightech transformers? How is it all controlled?

I used the Nightscaping Artisan (copper) and had every component of it powder coated in white. Also had them use white lead wire too. There was not enough $$$ in the budget to allow me to use my 1st fav fixture for that application: the Hunza DL & WS series.

The entire system is low voltage. The upper dormers and towers are powered by H3O-250-SS transformers located on the upper rail of the towers. The 12/2 wire system is entirely hidden on the exterior of the structure... what a wiring job that was! I was strapped into the towers on a fall arrest line & harness system, positioning myself with one hand and wiring the building with the other.... Two full days hanging from the towers and working the soffits from ladders. The guests were amused.

The system is controlled by the Hotel's central lighting control system and the light run dusk till 5am.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Very Nice! Great pics. That building is incredible!

Keith

Thanks Keith... It was originally built in 1870 and has operated as a hotel/resort ever since.

My wife bought me a book on the history of Windermere House as a congratulations gift for landing the job. In it I found this:

"They used to have lights shining up in front of the building. When I came around Silver Island at midnight, when there was a bit of mist coming off the lake, Windermere House was the most beautiful sight I'd ever seen. It looked almost mystical, like a fairy castle." Norm Stripp, Windermere Resident

I will be using that in some marketing sometime soon!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Nice house and lighting job! How many fixtures you use?

Like the last pictures, with chairs.

Thanks Igor... 62 Fixtures on 3 Zones.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Iin fact we're just finishing a pool installation in Honey Harbour. We don't do any lighting (in house), and ususally don't get involved, but now I have someone I can pass the client onto, as your work appears to be A1, and your somewhat local.

I would be happy to meet with you to discuss John. It might have to wait a bit as I am really busy and currently fully booked with installations until Mid October. I am always happy to make strategic alliances with quality trades.

Drop me an email direct sometime and let's get together later this year.

Have a great day.

JohnnyRoyale
07-23-2008, 11:00 PM
I would be happy to meet with you to discuss John. It might have to wait a bit as I am really busy and currently fully booked with installations until Mid October. I am always happy to make strategic alliances with quality trades.

Drop me an email direct sometime and let's get together later this year.

Have a great day.

Its been an excellant year up here for me, I honestly cant relate to this economic downturn everyone seems to be talking about on this site, and in the city, glad I made the move up here. We're booked solid into the fall, and now taking bookings into mid summer of next year.

I don't have anything to send your way in the pipeline now, but I'm sure something will come up.

BTW-I'm setting up a display area in front of my shop this fall, and probably complete it in the spring. Full landscape, pool, spa, water feature, hardscape, woodwork, planting, outdoor kitchen, etc. The location is prime hot!!! On a street full of cottage builders, all the big boys, Royal, Linwood, Viceroy, Normerica, etc. We'll talk as I finalize the plan, and get you in to incorporate some lighting to showcase it at night. We're going to put our best work front and centre, allowing prospects to come and see what we're capable of doing first hand.

We'll chat further as things slow down, probably when the white stuff starts to fall.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-24-2008, 06:13 AM
[QUOTE=JohnnyRoyale;2432667 On a street full of cottage builders, all the big boys, Royal, Linwood, Viceroy, Normerica, etc. We'll talk as I finalize the plan, and get you in to incorporate some lighting to showcase it at night. We're going to put our best work front and centre, allowing prospects to come and see what we're capable of doing first hand. QUOTE]

I know exactly the street you are talking about and I would be happy to help you build a "grande - deluxe" display of outdoor lighting, especially if you have frontage on Highway 400!

A few years ago I lit the model homes for True North Log Homes on Highway 11 in Bracebridge. The display is really excellent and it garners a lot of attention for the builder.

Give me a call when you are in the planning stages.

Have a great day.

JohnnyRoyale
07-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Unfortunately no 400 exposure-I wish, but the amounts of disposable money in the pockets of the people driving this street, looking at cottages to be built, or a for a boat to buy, is obscene. Its my objective to subliminally present to them the cottage alternative or be the go-to company for high end landscapes at their new cottages. No company I know of has done this type of display area-I'm unbelievably excited about its potential. I will definitely get in touch with you when the time comes.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-25-2008, 11:37 PM
For those of you who might be interested...

Here is an indepth article that was just published about Windermere House in the Muskoka Magazine. http://staging.muskokamagazine.com/sitepages/?aid=1249

It is wonderful to see the amount of pride, effort and investment that the new owner; Paul Jeffery, has put into this amazing property.

klkanders
07-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Very interesting article and history! Be nice to see........someday.....maybe.

Keith

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Here is one of the final set of photos...

JohnnyRoyale
08-22-2008, 06:41 AM
Very nice. Gongrats.

Lite4
08-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Thats really beautiful James. What lights did you use up in the eave of those second story gables that are downlighting the second floor balcony? They have really nice spread on them.

The Lighting Geek
08-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Very nice James.

Mike M
08-22-2008, 03:37 PM
James, can I use that last photo and quote for my next postcard?

Okay, seriously, very remarkable. How about some bulb info?

JoeyD
08-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Very Nice!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Thats really beautiful James. What lights did you use up in the eave of those second story gables that are downlighting the second floor balcony? They have really nice spread on them.

I used the Nightscaping Artisan fixture up there, Had them powder coat the entire fixture, bracket, shroud in white and had them use a white lead wire too. They are nearly invisible day and night now.

A nice little fixture for architectural downlighting.

Regards.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-22-2008, 04:53 PM
James, can I use that last photo and quote for my next postcard?

Okay, seriously, very remarkable. How about some bulb info?

Ya sure Mike, you can use it (NOT!)... but given that I sent out a emailing to some 200+ people about this project all over N. America, well everyone will know that you are a 'skid' for stealing the photos! :laugh:

As for lamps, super simple... GE Constant Colour BAB MR16s everywhere except in the ground level soft floods, there I used Xelogen Q20X lamps. (There was no budget for the LED lamps on this installation)

Landscape Illuminating
08-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Looks amazing. I bet nobody would guess this was a retrofit job. Was this all done on the exterior, or was some interior wiring involved?

-LI

Mike M
08-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Ya sure Mike, you can use it

Thanks, man.

I also changed my name to INTEGRATION Works Illuminating.

(I integrate other peoples' works into my lighting).

But seriously, I think it's cool how you can do so much and use just two types of bulbs. Very unified.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Looks amazing. I bet nobody would guess this was a retrofit job. Was this all done on the exterior, or was some interior wiring involved?

-LI

100% retrofit job, all wired on the exterior of the building.

The 3rd story dormer lights are all powered from H3O-250-SS Transformers located on the roof deck of those towers! The wiring was a feat of acrobatics. I handled it myself and was tied into a fall arrest harness anchored to the flag poles. I had to scale the roof (10/12 pitch) and the sides of the towers, hiding all the 12/2 behind flashings and trims. One full day per tower, all while the resort was in operations with guest below!

Chris J
08-23-2008, 01:25 AM
Jee wizz James, one day I hope to be just like you. The job is awesome, and you should be proud of you accomplishment. I only wish I had the knowledge that you do so I could also accomplish this scale of a project. You are my hero!
Between you and Tommy the Geek, I don't think there is anything that can't be learned? Thanks guys! You are both awesome individuals! Now excuse me while I go throw up.

S&MLL
08-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Drinking tonight chris?

Chris J
08-23-2008, 02:02 AM
S&MLL,
I can add you to my crap list as well if you like? If you only knew the half of it you would understand. There are other forums, and some like to self promote themselves to be something they are not. Anyone can get ONE good job in a year. But I'm taking nothing away from this job. It is outstanding.

Bill S
08-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Amazing work! That will end up as one amazing marketing piece for you

Eden Lights
08-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Ya sure Mike, you can use it (NOT!)... but given that I sent out a emailing to some 200+ people about this project all over N. America, well everyone will know that you are a 'skid' for stealing the photos! :laugh:

As for lamps, super simple... GE Constant Colour BAB MR16s everywhere except in the ground level soft floods, there I used Xelogen Q20X lamps. (There was no budget for the LED lamps on this installation)

I don't any client would ever know, sorry James. Its a big world and we are just a little speck in the world of lighting.