PDA

View Full Version : Bed edgers???

shade tree landscaping
07-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Anyone use the gas powered bed edgers? are they hard to get used to? do they leave the same nice clean, crisp edges as a shovel does? Thinking of getting one, if they work good and save time. Just wanted to hear some peoples feed back before I search the area for one to try and maybe eventually purchase. thanks in advance.

BNR LAWN SERVICES
07-23-2008, 08:49 AM
I have the Bed Edger F-991 H and love it. It is a great tool and much easier than spading beds. The machine is easy to use and will make a nice straight line if needed. The machine pulls the dirt away from the grass and pulverizes it and make it easy to spread throughout bed. I have different rotors for the machine good for drain tile and retaining wall work. I did 800 feet of edging on a job last week by myself with no back pain.

larryinalabama
07-23-2008, 09:02 AM
I have a Brown 8hp. They are a little trickie to get used to but not bad. the machine leaves real nice lines, far better than any shovel. It is extremely fast I can do 100' feet in less than 3 minutes, it leaves pulverized dirt in a row next to the trench, I just rake it in beforeputting down mulch. That bad part it destroies nything it hits such as sprinklers light wire etc. Also the Brown has interchangeable heads or rotors, I have a 7" trench rotor also, so the machine has several uses.

A cheap alternative is the TRENCHBLADE, Its a bent edger blade, its fast also and for around 10 bucks you can try one. I use it for touch ups and around trees that I dont want to damage the roots. You can link to the website on your right

Stuttering Stan
07-23-2008, 01:01 PM
I also have a 8hp Brown. It takes an hour to learn how to use the machine. Hardest part is visualizing where the blade is located under the hood so you can trench exactly where you want it. It does make a nice, professional trench.

Trenchblade
07-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the good word Lary. check out www.trenchblade.com and see if you may want to give it a try before you buy a bed trenching machine.

David Grass
07-23-2008, 05:30 PM
I ordered 2 trenchblade blades and will use them to hopefully MAINTAIN my edges that I do with my www.turfteq.com sidewinder. The sidewinder is very pricey but WOW, you are driving forward, and you can do what the little wonder does (cut), or what the brown does (opens), and it is FUN to use. Yes it is $4800 but It has already paid for itself in the 2 years that I have had it, and I only used it very part time. Watch the vids, very very impressive. I am pushing this end of the business for year round bed edge maintenance, and hope to make much much more with this machine.