PDA

View Full Version : another 521'ing question.

frumdig
07-23-2008, 04:51 PM
was trying to locate a valve today and had some issues following the null on a run of multistrand... the installer ran a run down the mainline for a section of 3 valves; then, T'ed into the strand and ran over to 2 more valves... (7 conductor wire and only connected the 3 wires he needed) well, when tracing down from the controller, i could only follow the null down the main wire run.... i even started walking around the other side of the property to see if i could pick up anything, and got nothing... anyway, my help was trying to track down a leak and ended up finding the valves first... now i could hook up at the valve box, and follow the wire to the T, and then around the corner out to the other valves, but got nothing going back to the controller.... the splice was just burried in the trench, so i dug it up, and re-did the connections... but still had the same results... so i guess my question is why?? im fairly new to this, but it seems like i have more trouble tracing multistrand, than single strand.... just seeing if thats the general consensus with everyone??

also, the wires were disconnected from the controller, and did this with every wire i tryed, including the common... my ears were finally blown off when i got over to the valves... but got no signal untill i got close enough....

btw, i had to replace x3 rainbird dv valves that were less than a few months old, all of them were leaking from the inlet side right above the arrow, tryed taking them apart and reassembling, thinking it was just a leak in the diaphram/gasket... but it must have been a bad cast or improper handling???

-Evan

Mike Leary
07-23-2008, 05:06 PM
was trying to locate a valve today and had some issues following the null on a run of it seems like i have more trouble tracing multistrand, than single strand.... just seeing if thats the general consensus with everyone??

The 521 likes big fat wire, but it will locate multi, for some people.:cry:

frumdig
07-23-2008, 06:00 PM
i havent completely followed your thread, but do you think your condition could be similar? someone T'ed into the multistrand, and thats why you cant get a signal/find the valve?? even when i knew where the wire was, i got nothing.... allthough, it did scream when i got to the valve....

Mike Leary
07-23-2008, 06:20 PM
it did scream when i got to the valve....

Wish my locating was that successful.

Wet_Boots
07-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Wish my locating was that successful.If wishes were fishes....