PDA

View Full Version : By-laws Equipment Storage

Ray&Christine
01-16-2002, 11:36 PM
Last season my wife and I each recieved registered letters from the Town's By-law Dept. . They said that have seen my commercial vechicle (94 GMC k-1500) parked in my driveway and I can't keep any commercial equipment on a residential property.When I phoned the Town Office they said no one had complained about me in particular but they were going after everyone on our street.Which is true because for the next few weeks all the work trucks, vans even a school bus disappeared. I
don't have the room to keep my truck in the garage because it is full of lawn equipment,plow etc. I keep the place fairly neat, I try to keep my tools out of sight. I have not heard anything from the Town in over a year so maybe if I keep things low key they won't bother me anymore. I was just wondering if anyone else had any thing like this happen to them and how was it dealt with.

Ray

johnnywalker
01-17-2002, 12:06 AM
Ray what are the insurance issues with keeping your lawn equip in the garage, fire, theft etc.. I lost the lease on a small shop mid Nov. & am storing in sheds in backyard & in garage until I can find other arrangements.
I'm in Toronto as well & keep 2 work trucks, (no lettering), in the drive. No problems so far.

scagman
01-17-2002, 12:42 AM
Do you live in a housing development ? Same thing happend to me when I lived with my parents. we lived in a development and I got a letter from the Home owners association. We made a gate in the side fence then I parked my trailer back there and parked my truck in the driveway.

Richard Martin
01-17-2002, 03:50 AM
Why don't you see what it would take to run a home business? Just ask the By-law dept what permits etc. you need in order to run a small business out of your home. Once you have the required permits I don't think that they could deny you parking area at your house for your truck.

Jason Pallas
01-17-2002, 07:31 AM
Townships, subs and home owners' associations can really be hell when it comes to this. I know of more than a few guys that have had a lot of problems like this. Best advice - see if you can store some of your stuff (that's not being used a lot) at a customer's garage in exchange for free service. We've done this quite a bit (storing plow trucks in the summer and lawn equip. in the winter) and it works out well - really frees up a lot of space. Good luck with the problem.

Ray&Christine
01-17-2002, 01:44 PM
To answer some of you questions: My equipment is covered under my Contractors Insurance Policy, as long as my it is kept in a locked area and if anything happens I pay the high deductible. We also used to live in Toronto (former North York) and never had a problem, we now live in Richmond Hill and heard from several people that they are very strick here.

I live in a subdivision of detached houses. The by-law office said this place is zoned residential and there is no way to change that. This applies to all of Richmond Hill.

If i keep my equipment at somemone elses house I'm afraid I might get the same complaints from the by-law dept.

Ray

scagman
01-17-2002, 02:12 PM
I would definetely clean the garage out. If I were you I would rent a storage unit close by and put all that stuff from the garage in there. Then just park your truck and trailer in the garage.

Turfdude
01-17-2002, 06:07 PM
I think you have to check the township ordinances. Some townships permit only one commercial vehicle offstreet per property. Also, I assume you have no "walk-up" clientele, so you're technically only storing your equipment. Are they also pressing carpenters, handymen, painters, window washers, carpet cleaners, installers, gutter guys, etc...

WE've been harrassed some here, primarily from neighbors who come home from work to have not enough parking if my crews are still in front of their homes. Had a few bad things happen: Someone removed my hitch pins and clips one night. Fortunately, the hitch did not fully slip out of receivers, and now we keep them and gas tanks locked. Also had a neighbor threaten to "blow a guys head off w/ his 22" for parking in the public street in front of his home. (The guy has a driveway, 2 cars and did have room for a car in front of his house).

Can't wait to move to new shop.

jeffex
01-17-2002, 07:09 PM
I'm in the same situation with nosey neighbors and homeowners association. I am going to buy an enclosed trailer and park it at a storage facility near my house. $45 per month but I can write off the cost as well as the added Insurance to cover theft. My current open trailer is only 5 x 10 and only one neighbor complained so I am just ignoring thier letter for now.

odin
01-17-2002, 08:25 PM
Your by- laws is what is called code enforcement here in my village.
I have a 4 car garage where 3 quarters of the equipment is kept
The other equipment was kept at my brother shed on a lot next to his house although it just burnt up recently.
We have to get what is called a home occupation certificate its only 20$
It does not matter about the trucks as long as they are illnois b-class or less .Our biggest is a one ton dump so we are all right as long as we dont get a 2 ton truck
But if you get crummie neigbors and they make complaints .
I got into it with my next door neighbor over my and his dogs
His dog jumped over my fence and got in my yard and my rottweiler chewed his dog up.
He thought i should pay his vet bills ,i told him to take a flying leap
because his dog got in my yard and attacked my dog.
Me and him took to fighting and i beat the hell out of him.
That went to court but court was easy conpaired to the problems he caused me over my equipment in the garage.
His brother was the code commissner and all a sudden the code people were at my house all the time.
I got a lawyer and he told the village the harrasment better stop and told he would take to court and sue.
The village could Not come up one violation that we broke.
I sure was glad when those people moved.

Cleve
01-17-2002, 09:37 PM
Just wondering how a GMC K-1500 gets to be a "commercial" vehicle? Isn't this just a pickup truck?
If you have it lettered or posted with your company name, I can understand that. But, if that is the case, why not just make the truck "plain"?
Nobody has to know in passing that the truck is used in a commercial application. I prefer to not advertise on the side of our truck anyway. Just don't believe it helps in any way. You can always use the magnetic signs anyway. Take them off at home.
In my neighborhood I had to sell a box truck (was an Iveco with a 15 ft. box that worked perfectly as our lawn care truck), because the county code enforcement officer happened to drive by after 8 years of using it and decide it was not in code. Even though it was parked behind the home and on concrete at the time. We now use a Ford F250 diesel and an open trailer with the equipment inside a large garage on the property.
We tried the occupational home permit and business license route several years ago and would not do that again. About all that got us was an increase in our sanitation fees and nothing else. Each year we also had to report our income and of course the fee went up.
Correct me on the truck if I'm wrong.
Cleve.

Ray&Christine
01-17-2002, 10:32 PM
Cleve
Even that it is only a half-ton pick-up it has commercial plates on it, they are different than car plates. Because of alot of heavy truck accidents in Ontario the cops and Ministry og Transportation are really cracking down on all heavy trucks, cube vans taxis, etc.
Here I have to get the truck and trailer safety inspected each year
because the truck and the trailer has a combined gross vechile weight of over 10,000 lbs. Some guys don't bother with the safety inspection but if they catch you in one of the many spot checks they could fine you. I also need a CVOR(Commercial Vehicle Operator Registry?) This keeps track of your safety infractions. The same the 18 wheelers.If you use your pick-up for non-commercial use you get a "Primarily For Personel Use" sticker.

Ray

BigJim
01-18-2002, 05:59 AM
So many rules,regulations,by-laws,ordenances no wonder you guys have so many lawyers up there,I just back the truck and trailer in the car port every night nothing to worry about.I can park any vehicle on my property and run any business from it(other than a house of ill- repute which does need a license).:)

awm
01-18-2002, 09:59 AM
father please protect me from the people that would regulate every single thing in my life,if they could. and help me control myself ,and not do anything painful tooum. later now