PDA

View Full Version : Whats the most comfortable trimmer?

Guardian
01-16-2002, 11:41 PM
Without sacrificing quality, What is the most comfortable string trimmer you've used? (weight, design etc)

How about hedgers - Again, comfort - I'd like to find a light weight hedger that won't kill your back/arms during extended use.

I currently use all Stihl equip. (fs85, fs85t, hs45, br85, br400 & chainsaw) I am not unhappy, just curious

Green Care
01-16-2002, 11:53 PM
I would say the echo brand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1stclasslawns
01-17-2002, 12:05 AM
As far as trimmer goed it depends on your height. I like echo. I have demoed shindiwa but they were a little short for me and I did try adjusting them.

I have used the smaller hedgers with the blade right in front of the moter and they kill my back, I have found the perfict ones for me. I dont know the model # but I think it is like 2100 or1700HC from echo the moter is on back like a trimmer with the throttel hand grip right in front of it, there is about a ten inch shaft aera then a loop handle with the blade right in front of it. I can get right down to the ground with out bending and nine feet high without a ladder.

Jim

65hoss
01-17-2002, 12:16 AM
I would guess I've held about every type out there. I like the feel of the stihls the best. The loop feels better, and the balance of the machine is great. If you hold the trimmer by just the loop the motor doesn't hit the ground.

yardmonkey
01-17-2002, 12:36 PM
I have been using the Robin BH2500 for about a year. I got it because it is a 4-cycle and has less vibration. (also less pollution and less noise) Honda also makes 4-cycles but they are heavier. I got mine online at Wisconsin Industrial Products (about $350)
Previously used Echo 2100 and Shindaiwa T-230. Both good but I like the Robin much better.

dhicks
01-17-2002, 04:18 PM
I like the Kawasaki brand. It is light and e-z for me to use. My (R) arm is bad and it is about the lightest trimmer around.

accuratelawn
01-17-2002, 05:45 PM
I'll go with dhicks on this one. I have used Shindaiwa. Bought a Kawasaki last year and love it. Light and easy to use. Like the head also. There are no loose springs to lose, no eyelets or bump knob to misplace also. I used it all season with ZERO problems. Fuel was the only thing it used.

Evan528
01-17-2002, 05:47 PM
As far as hedge trimmers....I dont think there is any gas hedge trimmer that is comfortable to use for extended periods of time. I have redmax 30 inch single sided gas trimmers and a little wander electric 30 inch singled sided hedge trimmer. If you have a generator or dont mine buying one I would highly recomned there electric trimmers. very smooth cut and extremly light weight and comfortable to hold!

jeffex
01-17-2002, 07:19 PM
kawasaki kbl23a light and powerful. I will buy another one. I have 2 shindiawa t230s and they are great too but I use the lighter kawasaki to save my back. The only negative I can say about them is they sometimes take 2 or 3 pulls to start vs the shindiawas start on 1 pull. I replaced the original heads on both with one from suffix that I get at lowes for $15. They are 2 line feed and jam proof.

cleancutdude
01-17-2002, 08:01 PM
I use 43cc kawasaki with bull horn handels I think a good well fitting harness is more important than the strimer .I like plenty of power as I use 3mm line on most jobs . As for clippers i have not seen any better than the stihl HS 85 30" 5.5 kg 1.1hp . It use little spacer blocks instead of a heavy bar to guide the blades . I would recomend fitting a home made ehco type deflector as it removes the clippings from the top of the hedge as u are cutting .

ps. Try using single sided clippers . They are not as tiring as u hold them and all the weight close to your body .

Robert Pruitt
02-07-2002, 11:40 AM
stihl fs55 light weight and easy to handle. not a lot of power for heavy cutting.

Scraper
02-07-2002, 11:51 AM
You are only going to get personal preferences, but I like Tanaka. You won't see too many responses for Tanaka as it doesn't seem to many here use their products. Not sure why, but maybe their dealer network isn't that great, but their equipment sure is!

Robert Ewald
02-07-2002, 02:10 PM
I use the kawi brand for both back pack blower and string trimmer and both are very comfortable to use and are quiet. I am just over 6 foot and the trimmer fits my height well.

Dream Dare Do

LexingtonKYcutter
02-07-2002, 07:18 PM
For string trimers I use Shindaiwa T-260s.......... Have great power, great anti vibration, and dont weight that much.....

Back pack blowers I use the Stihl BR400s and the new BR420s....... Once again great power, also use the vac attachment for picking up debris in parking lots.

On Hedge trimmers I use the Stihl HS80s........... Their a littel heavy, but just last forever, and I like the handle that swivels for doing the sides of bushes.

HOMER
02-07-2002, 07:24 PM
The most comfortable ones are the ones in somebody elses hands!:D

I like to look at it being done more than I like doing it.

I have a Tanaka and I agree it is much lighter than the Stihl. I would use it more if it had a bump head on it, the auto-feed head either throws out too much line or doesn't throw it at all.

I use Stihls and like them.

lee b
02-07-2002, 07:59 PM
I like my Husky 322L, it's real lite 8.8lbs., and strong. Going on 3 years with no problems, other than wearing out string heads.

lawnkid
02-07-2002, 08:16 PM
Homer,

I have a Tanaka trimmer too, and you don't have to use the brain. There are other heads that Tanaka makes that are Tap and Go. On my trimmer, I use the Echo Universal Head. Works great.

Mowman
02-07-2002, 09:18 PM
Trimmer 322L weighs in at only 8.4# and is easy to handle. Plenty of power, 2 HARD seasons and NO PROBLEMS. Hedge Clipper, Husky 225H60 weighs in at 11.2# 2 seasons and NO PROBLEMS. I would buy them again and again. As far as hand held blowers I'm a Sthil man. I had a BG75, sold it to homeowner and bought another Sthil BG65, new desgin that has more POWER than my old BG75. As far as the Husky handheld blowers I think they ****. They look too much like the WeedEater brands that you would buy at the Home Depot.
Mowman

awm
02-07-2002, 10:26 PM
i like my little craftsman featherlite curved shaft ,made by frigidaire. cant killit,dont weigh nothin ,i one hand it .
and best of all nobodies tried to steal it ,yet.if they do ,already got a new backup for 40 bucks from sears customer return dept.
they just run good.
speakin of that weedeater frigidaire had held blower. i picked up a new one for backup, for 41 bucks at sears. gas wasnt mixed right. and thats usually the case.good little gutter cleaner and blows about 200 mph. run hard they last about 2 yrs . the good pt is, i just lay it in front of the z when i go to eat or whatever. nobodies bothered one yet . knock on wood.later now. ps stihl 50-1 an high grd gas makes it work for me.

mowerman90
02-07-2002, 11:42 PM
Husky 325 for me. I ran Echo 2501 and 2601's of 12 years til I bought the Husky. I'd never go back to Echo. The Husky's incredibly powerful and light as a feather.

lawnman25
02-08-2002, 08:26 PM
You are probably going to laugh when you read this but , being in business for 8 years and trying several trimmers when we first started we got a feel for what works best . We tried most of the name brand trimmers ( too Heavy ) We tried some of the homeowner trimmers ( Straight shaft ) . We found a trimmer that not only is lightweight , but dependable and long lasting . Homelite has a straight shaft trimmer that is very durable and lasts a long time . I replace mine every three years because I have people wanting to buy mine at that point . They still run stong and are in good shape and we get 50% of what we paid for them at resale . Not bad . Everyone has their preference and there are alot of good products out there . This is one that costs less and seems to hold up ok . It could be an option for you . John Deere has bought them out but they still market them as Homelite under John Deere Consumer Products . Ace Hardware still carries these . I thought I would pass this on. Good Luck !