PDA

View Full Version : Landscape design programs

OSU 09
07-24-2008, 09:10 AM
What design programs do you guys use to make your install plans. I have done some work with dyna-scapes(sp?) before and it was alright. Just wanted some thoughts. Thanks

m&mmowing
07-24-2008, 08:14 PM
i've been playin with realtime landscaping pro for a couple days, it's a free demo, and i really like the program, but i've never used anything like this before

TPendagast
07-25-2008, 12:21 AM
I use prolandscape v12

Dreams To Designs
07-25-2008, 07:44 AM
We use Pro landscape version 14. It does all that we need it to do, including imaging, 3D flyovers, CAD plan mode and has a built in PDF writer that allows us to email plans in scale to anyone, anywhere.

Kirk

Supertiger
07-25-2008, 08:13 AM
After you buy and install PRO Landscape v14, can you run the program without using the DVD or CD. or do you always have to install the DVD in order to use it?. The reason i ask of course is i might want it installed on more than one computer. I paid over a thousand dollars for my Quick books Pro and it allows me to put it on all my computers without the need to have the CD installed after the initial install. for each computer.

Dreams To Designs
07-25-2008, 09:54 AM
You do not need the DVD to run Pro Landscape, but you do need a second operating code to run it on a second computer. They allow you two operating licenses when you purchase the program. We use it on a desktop and a laptop, which is most often used networked to the desktop. The laptop does give you the freedom to take the program to the client, but I would never attempt to create a design for a client while meeting with them. We use the laptop for presentations, but it's hard to beat a full size scaled printed plan for impact. The imaging makes the greatest impact when printed as a photograph as well, but you are able to make changes on the fly if you so choose. The 3D flyover function can be useful when discussing the plan with a client, as you are able to move around the design in both imaging and plan modes. The imaging has enabled many of the installers we design for to increase the size and complexity of the jobs, because the client actually has a good idea of whet the design will actually look like.

As with any "design" software, Pro Landscape is is only as good as the designer using it. It, unfortunately, can make bad designs look impressive, which is one of the caveats with any design software. If used in plan mode as a digital pencil, and in imaging as a presentation tool, Pro Landscape can easily increase your sales and gain client confidence in your designs.

Kirk

Supertiger
07-26-2008, 10:52 AM
I really need some help putting my ideas on paper but i lack the pen on paper artistic talent to do it. I can draw the look down views of planting beds but its hard for me to show others what I'm wanting to do for them.

Dreams To Designs
07-26-2008, 04:15 PM
If you don't have the time to learn the program right now, and there is a green industry show that you could attend that Pro Landscape also exhibits, they do offer a show price which can be a significant discount. But, you must by the program at the show. In the meantime, maybe you could use a designer that has Pro Landscape or a similar program to help you sell the work and make it easier for your client to understand. Pro Landscape or any design software will take a good deal of off season time to master and become proficient.

If you are able to design, but need drafting and/or imaging assistance, that's where a designer can be of great assistance. You get them a site plan and an idea of what you want drafted, a sketch with Measurements and a CAD plan can be created rather quickly, for a reasonable amount of money.Imaging requires a good photo and can be imaged to match the design plan. Most designer and draftspersons will have an hourly rate, and if you are leading the design, they do not have to be local.

Kirk