PDA

View Full Version : I just cant figure it out!

cgaengineer
07-24-2008, 10:49 AM
I am trying to illuminate this area above garage and I have tried every way that I know to light and it just doesn’t look right. The lights I am trying to use are Stellars (Gutter mount) by Unique so they should be able to do the job. The best look I got was from one light in the center directed towards the attic vent but this left the corners near the soffits dark (Maybe this is ok?). I also noticed my light levels are not consistent with the rest of the spot lights (also Unique’s) at corners of house when compared to the light output of the Stellars.

I have looked at a million pictures but just can’t seem to get the technique to "click". Any help would be great.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/Lighting/DSC_2427copy.jpg

Please ignore the landscaping...it has been ripped out and the correct foundation plants have been installed, also ignore the red and black spots on the photo.

Thanks again...

Lite4
07-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Chris,
I notice you are lighting the peak (stone), on the other side of the house. If it were me, I would use 20 watt MR 16s, go with a BAB/60 with spread lenses and crosslight the peak from the lower corners. Are you using 20w or 35w on the stone? With the white background, 20s should be more than enough light. If you find it to be too bright with the 20s and spread lenses and not matching the light level on the stone, stack in a frosted lense behind the spread lense if you have room. If you place them in the gutters it should give you enough setback for those lights to spread.

cgaengineer
07-24-2008, 12:49 PM
The lights for the stone are Gaurdians, and since I failed to check last night (dumb) I assumed they were 20W but it appears they come with 35w...no dang wonder they were so bright! So you think I would be better off illuminating the peak with a round light instead of rectangle like the Stellar?

klkanders
07-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Chris, I would try as Tim suggested also. Perhaps a couple probes would do it. The key of course is keeping the light there subtle so it doesn't present itself as the focal point.
Good Luck!

Keith

cgaengineer
07-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Chris, I would try as Tim suggested also. Perhaps a couple probes would do it. The key of course is keeping the light there subtle so it doesn't present itself as the focal point.
Good Luck!

Keith

In that case the 20w Stellar would probably be fine (Just one). With this style gable/peak do you normally make sure the corners at the eves are lit? Should I just concentrate on the lower level?

If I use a single Stellar for the gable I can use the other to illuminate the dark area at the front door.

klkanders
07-24-2008, 02:51 PM
I would light the rest of the front as you were planning first. Then skip the idea of the Stellar for the garage gable. Then I would experiment with the spots on garage gutter one on each side aiming up at the peak to wash that gable end. Use as Tim suggested with the 20W lamps and lenses as needed. Try it you might like it. :)

Keith

cgaengineer
07-24-2008, 04:07 PM
I would light the rest of the front as you were planning first. Then skip the idea of the Stellar for the garage gable. Then I would experiment with the spots on garage gutter one on each side aiming up at the peak to wash that gable end. Use as Tim suggested with the 20W lamps and lenses as needed. Try it you might like it. :)

Keith

OK, sounds good. Tims advice was a little confusing to me but you cleared it up. Bear with me while I learn lighting.

JoeyD
07-24-2008, 04:55 PM
All great ideas...tone the Guardians down to 20w......play with the placement of the stellars.......

cgaengineer
07-24-2008, 05:03 PM
All great ideas...tone the Guardians down to 20w......play with the placement of the stellars.......

Thanks Joey...I will get up on my ladder again tonight!

Lite4
07-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Sorry for the confusion Chris. Thanks for clarifying that one Keith.

cgaengineer
07-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Sorry for the confusion Chris. Thanks for clarifying that one Keith.

Its ok, I probably would have understood had I been doing this for sometime. I will learn and likely learn fast...but it wont happen overnight! I thank you all for your help.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-25-2008, 03:13 AM
Someday someone might take one of my suggestions! LOL. Stop uplighting and grazing everything from the bottom up. Instead mount a nice white wall mount fixture like a NS Guardian or a Hunza DL or a NS Artisan in White onto the fascia at the top of the gable and aiming straight down. Use a BAB with and optical spread lens in front.

One fixture... Done.

Lite4
07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
beauty is in the eye of the beholder James. Tomato, tomoto