PDA

View Full Version : New Cat Finish dozers

northmiss
07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the new K series Cat dozers, particularly the D3K? The increased weight and operating torque looks good on paper but I wondered how they performed in the dirt. I use a Komatsu D31 on my tree farm, which works pretty well, but I could use just a little more weight and "grunt." Thanks, Tim

bobcat_ron
07-24-2008, 06:25 PM
They have better torque managment, but as with all small dozers, it's getting that weight planted, I know the D6K I ran last year couldn't push nearly as much as the Deere 700J.

dozerman21
07-24-2008, 07:53 PM
I considered a D3K before I bought my Case 650K. The dealer only had D4's on the lot, and we were way off on numbers so I didn't demo anything. I think you just need demo one and see what you think. I had the same concerns before I bought mine. Don't just go by HP numbers. I think torque and drawbar pull are just as important. I was mostly worried about performance in mud, but so far I've been very impressed.

The cabs on the Cat K Series are very nice and quiet with good visibility. I don't like the blade angle control being on a thumb dial. For someone stating out it might be easier, but I like to have that control in one motion with the rest of the blade control. The blade shake option is nice. Prepare to lay out more coin than comparitive brands.I would just demo one and see what you think. Try a Case and Deere, or even Komatsu and see how they compare. I heard one guy say a D4K demo didn't have as much power as his D4G, but who knows? By the way, where did you find the engine torque numbers, or did you mean drawbar pull?

northmiss
07-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Dozerman,
Whether this translates to results in the dirt is a matter for questioning but the operating torque numbers of these machines have been steadily increasing the last few development cycles. Op torque = (HP at operating rpm / operating rpm) x 5252 (a constant.) For example, the early naturally aspirated D3G produced 70 hp at 2400 rpm, which calculates to 153 ft-lbs torque. The new D3K by contrast produces its 74 horsepower at only 1900 rpm, which leads to a big torque jump to 204.5 ft-lbs. In fact, if you look at the base machine weights for the 550J LT Deere and the older D4G XL, the new D3K XL weighs about the same as they do but with higher engine torque than either (about 191 ft-lbs for the other two.) Now, I can't say that the new D3 will outpush or even equal the other two but there certainly has been a big jump in the numbers. THis is the reason for my question about what some forum members have experienced in trying the new low rpm K series.
Tim

Scag48
07-24-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm a Cat guy, but it's hard to beat Deere finish dozers. For oval drive machines, Deere has the market. I really like 650H's, I'm sure the 650J's are even better. Anything over the 700J, Cat is going to chew them up. The 6R is the threshold, past that, Deere doesn't hold a candle.

northmiss
07-25-2008, 12:28 AM
I would agree that Deere's finish machines seem by far the most popular in my area of the Southeast, especially the 650H/J. Still, I am amazed at how much the machine specs have changed over the years. Deere's old 450C and 550A specs gave 65 hp at 2200 rpm / 14400# and 72hp at 2200/ 15750# respectively. The most recently updated J series specs for the 450J and 550J narrow-gauge machines are 77hp at 2200 / 16283# and 85 hp at 2200 / 17016# respectively. But now the new Cat D3K weighs in at nearly 17200# producing 74 hp at only 1900 rpm, with more operating torque than any of the above machines. Even though the prices have skyrocketed on the new iron, it seems to me that the smaller machines can do more and more. For instance, my 2004 75 hp Komatsu D31 seems to have much more low-end grunt than my brother's 1990s D3C, and much more than the extra 5 horsepower would suggest, despite the fact that both machines weigh about the same.

ksss
07-25-2008, 12:46 AM
Perhaps this will help.

If it will link.

http://comparison.casece.com/display.php?SID=Q2FzZVNpdGU=

ksss
07-25-2008, 01:00 AM
OK it wont link but if you go to the CASE web site you can compare the machines spec.