PDA

View Full Version : I was found worthy...

stuvecorp
07-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Here's yet another truck thread. The bank said yes but only for 3 years and I wanted 5 years. I keep going back and forth on the pros and cons about the truck. I don't want to get to extreme but it is a tool that would help the business. I also want to trade in my Kodiak contractor truck because it is to small for hauling material, the dealer isn't to excited about taking it.

KrayzKajun
07-24-2008, 01:17 PM
thts a nice rig!

RockSet N' Grade
07-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Give some specifics on the truck.....motor, gearing, miles, yada-yada. What I can see that would be a preference for me instead of a swing gate is a high lift...That can be modified to high-lift for about $3k. Is it plumbed to the rear for air and electric? Have you done an inspection of it yet? Does it hold air and if so, how long before it drops? It would be quite a step up from the Kodiak that's for sure.....asking price? My, I am just full of questions... :)

bobcat_ron
07-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Pete's are sexy looking trucks, but only in bright vibrant colours!

dozerman21
07-24-2008, 08:34 PM
That's a nice looking truck. Do you think a quad would be worth the extra size and cost of a tri-axle or even a tandem? I'm sure you know what's best for you, I've just known a couple of companies who have regretted getting a quad over a tri-axle. They strictly haul for hire and probably and I doubt got enough if any more money per hour.

Dirt Digger2
07-24-2008, 08:38 PM
very nice looking Pete...you can't go wrong, you might even want to go older then that...we have an '88 that still runs strong

and ours is bright orange

AWJ Services
07-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Posting in my best Gravel Rat voice

Ah we do not like Petes up here they just do not have enough bathrooms in them.We prefer our Louisville with 2 baths.
The color is all wrong and will more than likely lower the overall gvwr so any trucker worth his salt would stay away from it.
Those fatty tires on the front will cause excessive wear on the front end and we all know those Peter parts are expensive.
Well that is unless you buy them from Paul Peter's brother.
We all use quad axles with the high dump beds with twin scissor lifts and automated canutor valve tarp actuation.
That is the only way too go right?

bobcat_ron
07-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Posting in my best Gravel Rat voice

Ah we do not like Petes up here they just do not have enough bathrooms in them.We prefer our Louisville with 2 baths.
The color is all wrong and will more than likely lower the overall gvwr so any trucker worth his salt would stay away from it.
Those fatty tires on the front will cause excessive wear on the front end and we all know those Peter parts are expensive.
Well that is unless you buy them from Paul Peter's brother.
We all use quad axles with the high dump beds with twin scissor lifts and automated canutor valve tarp actuation.
That is the only way too go right?

You forgot to add....sh*t, I wish we could run trucks like that here in Canada!

PerfectEarth
07-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Very funny! You also forgot to add something about a certain percent grade going downhill and braking power.... :)

ksss
07-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Very funny! You also forgot to add something about a certain percent grade going downhill and braking power.... :)

Lets not for get that " You'll spend 8 thousand Candollars shodding that truck with the 295 24.5 floats and those 22.5 drops and 24.5 drives, they need to be loggin tires to make these 10% grades.":laugh:

Great looking truck.

That is some step up. Will your 70XT dump into it? It certainly is a lot of truck, but like you said gotta have it. Cant be in the dirt business with a 5 yard Kodiak for long. Give us the specs.:cool2:

stuvecorp
07-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Okay, for the specs. It's a '98 with a C12 Cat, 18 speed, steerable pushers, is plumbed to haul tag trailers. Truck has just over 500,000 on it, the motor was rebuilt and has warranty till next April, new drive tires, steers are about 50%. The truck has a current DOT. It was a local truck that was traded in for a new truck.

The tri axles are starting to go by the wayside, nobody wants to pay them anything and if you have to pay heavy road tax you might as well have the extra capacity from the quad. This truck has an empty weight of 26,000, minus 73,000 gives me 47,000 payload or roughly 18.5 yds for black dirt.

Talked to the financial people and they don't want to extend out to five years, I really like the truck but just feel that is too much for the business to handle at three years. Between the trade and cash I would have about 40% down and have a good credit score so not sure what the deal is? Has anyone else come across this?

stuvecorp
07-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Lets not for get that " You'll spend 8 thousand Candollars shodding that truck with the 295 24.5 floats and those 22.5 drops and 24.5 drives, they need to be loggin tires to make these 10% grades.":laugh:

Great looking truck.

That is some step up. Will your 70XT dump into it? It certainly is a lot of truck, but like you said gotta have it. Cant be in the dirt business with a 5 yard Kodiak for long. Give us the specs.:cool2:

I measured at the front & the skid will clear, it gets much better in the back. They are asking 57,000 for the truck

Gravel Rat
07-25-2008, 12:58 AM
That Pete is a Redimix spec you can tell by the hood of the truck.

Nothing wrong with Pete trucks they are mainly highway trucks. A Paccar brand truck is better than anything else.

The other clue the truck is a mixer spec'ed truck is its spec'ed with C-12 power. The C-12 is okay not as good as the C-15 or 3406. You load the truck up to 73,000lbs the engine will be working pretty hard.

The C-12 has a pretty good bark with straight pipe(s) with the JAKE on full :drinkup:

Why bother running anything more than a tandem your only wearing your truck out faster hauling more. A tandem is getting 110-120 dollars per hour you haul 15 ton at a time the truck is paid by the hour. Depending on where your hauling to you can only do 4 loads a day in 8 hours. Working on a jobsite where it needs 20 loads of material takes all week 4800 dollars in trucking charged to the home owner.

ksss
07-25-2008, 01:21 AM
That Pete is a Redimix spec you can tell by the hood of the truck.

Nothing wrong with Pete trucks they are mainly highway trucks. A Paccar brand truck is better than anything else.

The other clue the truck is a mixer spec'ed truck is its spec'ed with C-12 power. The C-12 is okay not as good as the C-15 or 3406. You load the truck up to 73,000lbs the engine will be working pretty hard.

The C-12 has a pretty good bark with straight pipe(s) with the JAKE on full :drinkup:

Why bother running anything more than a tandem your only wearing your truck out faster hauling more. A tandem is getting 110-120 dollars per hour you haul 15 ton at a time the truck is paid by the hour. Depending on where your hauling to you can only do 4 loads a day in 8 hours. Working on a jobsite where it needs 20 loads of material takes all week 4800 dollars in trucking charged to the home owner.

Here the big companys pay $5.00 more an hour per drop axle so the more you can gross the more they pay. A lot of Super dumps running around and 5 axle trucks. The Super Dumps are able to gross 80K.

I here what your saying about the money. Perhaps if you don't feel comortable over it, you could likely get an intermediate truck to feel this truck thing out before picking up a truck like this one. Establish the exact need and wants with an older less expensive truck, then when your more comfortable move into something like Big Red here. Just a thought.

stuvecorp
07-25-2008, 01:40 AM
I here what your saying about the money. Perhaps if you don't feel comortable over it, you could likely get an intermediate truck to feel this truck thing out before picking up a truck like this one. Establish the exact need and wants with an older less expensive truck, then when your more comfortable move into something like Big Red here. Just a thought.

I kind of did rough numbers before to see if it would work or if I could handle it and I have a number that I feel the business can handle but they are way more and I also feel if I commit that much it could handicap me down the road if I want/need some other piece of equipment. The local banks don't do big trucks and I have learned to stay away from those lease deals, how else can you find reasonable money? I am staying busy with work but that can tapper off, am really torn on this - I have looked for more reasonable trucks put haven't found too much so far. I do know if they aren't willing to do a decent number on the trade and get more flexible on the finance package it won't happen.

Gravel Rat, I do a fair amount of black dirt sales, If I sell 250 yards of material I want to haul it in as little trips as possible. If it is hauled in with this truck that would be 14 trips, with a heavy quad it would be 16 trips, with a 12 yard tandem that would be 21 trips.

Scag48
07-25-2008, 01:46 AM
That is a mean lookin' rig for under $60K. Trucks are going cheap these days. That rig would be $80K+ here for a truck that's 10 years old about 2 years ago. You should be fine with that C12 only because of the 18 speed, any idea on the rear end ratios?

stuvecorp
07-25-2008, 02:02 AM
Scag, I don't remember what the ratio is, the salesman told me but I think I was distracted by the shiny aluminum. The one thing I keep coming back to is this truck if taken care of would last me a long time.

Gravel Rat
07-25-2008, 02:56 AM
The price is good especially for a Pete but the big drawback is the C-12. The hood won't allow a larger engine to fit. The C-12 has a max hp rating of 430hp with something like 1450ftlbs not too bad.

AWJ Services
07-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Talked to the financial people and they don't want to extend out to five years, I really like the truck but just feel that is too much for the business to handle at three years. Between the trade and cash I would have about 40% down and have a good credit score so not sure what the deal is? Has anyone else come across this?

Finance companies are getting over a rash of repo's and are being very careful.
The truck is 10 years old and that hurts a s well.
My advice is too call another finance company.
With that much cash and down payment with a great credit score you are a select few.
Not many are in your situation.
Do not get pressured and find the financing that you are comfortable with.

Here an average tandem truck can haul around 23 ton as long as they stay off of the interstate.Not many people use those type trucks here.

Dirt Digger2
07-25-2008, 05:12 PM
i would be very careful with the C12 engine...the C12 is arguably one of the worst truck motors that Cat has ever made. I have heard many bad stories not only of C12's but also the dealers refusing to honor warranty work on those engines

stuvecorp
07-27-2008, 12:54 PM
i would be very careful with the C12 engine...the C12 is arguably one of the worst truck motors that Cat has ever made. I have heard many bad stories not only of C12's but also the dealers refusing to honor warranty work on those engines

I have never heard that about the C12. I haven't had good luck with the 3116. A truck sub had the c12 in his Frieghtliner and was very happy with it, he also had a ton of miles on the truck. The dealer has done a overhaul just over 400,000 miles and still has warranty on the truck.

I checked on my spec sheet and the ratio is 4.10.

AWJ, tandems are hauling that much? They must be lightweight to get that much on. I have always thought a supper lightweight tandem would be great for the smaller projects. I do think it is kind of dumb, the truck has 20 front, 46 rear and the pushers are 13.5 each so you end up with 93,000 gvw yet you can only haul 73,000 on it, evil weight laws.

I do like the idea that Rock had about a high lift tail gate, for boulders, demo and land clearing debris that would allow you to keep the tail gate on and attract less attention.

AWJ Services
07-27-2008, 01:12 PM
The trucks are not really lightweight most have steel beds.
I have a friend that has an older Mack with an Aluminum bed and he can haul 24 tons.

The State law says a max of 20,340 pounds per axle with a max gross of 80000 pounds for 5 axles.

They have some exemptions where they allow concrete trucks too go 80000 and such as well as others.

Not sure if the Dump trucks fall under a different category but I know that I regularly get 20+ tons without a drop axle.