PDA

View Full Version : new here with new to me cat

mellowyellow
07-24-2008, 03:04 PM
I have been reading this forum for quite a while now and decided to join, Not that I will have much to add, but to at least say hello. I am a small time farmer in the Okla. panhandle. Bought a 07 277B to move a little dirt and push some snow around in the winter. It will be used in soft dirt most of the time. It had 368 hours on it when i got it and now has 405 on it. Going to try to post a pic of it(brother-in-law in the seat). If the pic works I have added a radio setup that worked out pretty good if anyone is interested in the way I mounted it and the speakers. This is my first post so cut me a little slack if nothing shows up like it is supposed to,,, thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mellowyellow

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/sidetracked_up/cat001.jpg

44DCNF
07-24-2008, 03:19 PM
You did fine on the post and pic. Welcome to the site sir. Looks like nice country. I am originally from Wichita. I know that is not real close to you but I miss the area.

hansondirtman
07-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Very nice, my favorite Cat model.

YellowDogSVC
07-24-2008, 03:33 PM
welcome to the site! Nice looking machine too. How do you like that bucket? I picked on up by accident and have found a ton of uses for it.

BIGBEN2004
07-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Best grading MTL Cat ever made. The new ones wouldn't hold a candle to the old 267 and 277's. That thing can almost walk on water.

bobcat_ron
07-24-2008, 06:24 PM
My radio is attached to the roof with a plastic bracket and the speakers are in the upper corners of the rear of the cab, is yours similar?

mellowyellow
07-24-2008, 06:47 PM
44DCNF--I bought it from caterpillar used site and dealt with a woman out of Wichita, then picked it up in Dodge City....

this site helped me a lot in making my decision, seemed I looked at cats till I was starting to see yellow when I closed my eyes at night.

yellowdogsvc-- really like the bucket, I have several other buckets on other tractors, but this is the first with teeth. I am going to get a twenty inch tree sheer for it before too long, but have pulled some small trees by putting the bucket over them and closing it,,,

bigben--if it will just walk on a little snow I will be happy.,

bobcat ron-- I found a stereo called secert radio,, it has a receiver you mount somewhere out of the way, then the faceplate is only 3/4 inch deep. I mounted it in the plastic on the upper left hand side. It also has a really small remote that controll all functions... going to try to post several pics at once. Again, Im new at this so no telling what will happen

the main receiver, it has a plug to hook up a cd changer to it(not into cd's)
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/sidetracked_up/toys005.jpg

the faceplate
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/sidetracked_up/toys006.jpg

and the speakers,,, just set them up there with double sided tape, so far they are holding real good
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/sidetracked_up/toys010.jpg

thanks for the welcome,,,,, ,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,,mellowyellow

bobcat_ron
07-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Now that's completely different, but I don't think the speakers will last long up there, a couple months of dust in the cab ( and it will get in there) and those speakers will be flopping all over.

mellowyellow
07-24-2008, 07:10 PM
bobcat ron-- you may be right, but thought I would try it before I go to cutting holes,, If that doesnt work I may set them down in a little silicon. I did clean both surfaces real good before mounting them and Im thinking no dirt should get between the tape and the mounting surface(fingers crossed). They have been there for about thirty hours so far and still dont move any. I have the cab sealed pretty good too. I followed your thread on sealing the cab and found several spots where there were gaps between the sealing tape and pluged them with silicon. I also put weather stripping under the side window glass to keep it from working its way in there. about the only dirt I get is around the cab filter and it isnt too bad.,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,, ,,,,,,, mellowyellow

dozerman21
07-24-2008, 07:22 PM
bobcat ron-- you may be right, but thought I would try it before I go to cutting holes,, If that doesnt work I may set them down in a little silicon. I did clean both surfaces real good before mounting them and Im thinking no dirt should get between the tape and the mounting surface(fingers crossed). They have been there for about thirty hours so far and still dont move any. I have the cab sealed pretty good too. I followed your thread on sealing the cab and found several spots where there were gaps between the sealing tape and pluged them with silicon. I also put weather stripping under the side window glass to keep it from working its way in there. about the only dirt I get is around the cab filter and it isnt too bad.,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,, ,,,,,,, mellowyellow

Mellow- Welcome to the site, and hopefully that machine fills your needs. If the double sided tape doesn't work for the speakers, try some 3M brand hook & loop velcro... it holds really well. On the gaps letting dust in, I've been using DAP Tex on my CTL and it works great. It's latex based, isn't sticky, and doesn't overexpand. It stays put but pulls off cleanly if you need to remove it.

44DCNF
07-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Speaking of sealing up I use a product called SEASONSeal by White Lightning around the home. It is a removable weather stripping caulk. Looks like that clear removable "snot" you will find on postal mailings holding things together sometimes. I use it where the window a/c units go in, and thought it might work well too in your applications. That Dap stuff is so much nicer than having to have acetone around while working with P/U foam.

bobcat_ron
07-24-2008, 08:19 PM

Mine is the same too now, just minor dust, the really fine stuff comes through the water drainage slots in the sliders from the side windows, a bit of marine grade silicone should fix that.
One thing to look out for, those little "plugs" that hold the inside air filter cover on top of the control box, DO NOT get to hardy with the down pressure you use when re-installing them, they are expansion plugs and they broke really fast on my cover, I had to use 4mm socket cap screws to hold my cover down.

Scag48
07-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Good lookin' machine. The 277 is about the only MTL I will endorse from Cat. We had one for a while, I liked it alot, wish we would have kept it but oh well.