PDA

View Full Version : Ever date a customer?

Jason Pallas
01-17-2002, 06:39 AM
Just a quick thread starter - Anyone ever dated a customer? There was a thread recently where someone mentioned something about taking payment for lawn service in "trade". It got me thinking - we've certainly had our fair share of great looking customers (some single/some married). Back in my mid twenties, I dated one of my customers. She was a tenant at a duplex we cut - nice girl, dated her for almost 2 years (almost tied the knot).
I actually married one of my customers. We've been married for 2 years now and just had a little girl in May. Funny thing is - I almost didn't take the account. That summer I ended up getting a divorce from my first wife and shortly there- after, started dating her. I never did collect on the $200 dollars she had due at the time I started to date her - oh well, maybe I'll try and take it out in trade now!;)

lawncare
01-17-2002, 07:04 AM
I dated a few of my single customers but after my first mistake i'd tell them all they are going to pay for the yard services and most of them paid still have a few on the list that haven't got married.

awm
01-17-2002, 08:39 AM
sounds like wife is 200 up on u there jason. just kiddin :D
ive had some that made me think of it especially when younger.
i was already married tho so thank god i didnt take them up on it. never know what that would have caused.
most times not so good tho,and i wouldnt have this lady thats put up with me all these yrs. later now

odin
01-17-2002, 09:40 AM
We have a lot of single cilents but if i ever even looked a look and my sciclian wife found out and by time she got done
O well i guess you married guys know what mean
Anyway when a guy already has the best he dont need to be looking at the custormers.

walker-talker
01-17-2002, 09:41 AM
I have made a few girlfriends into customers, but not vice versa. I actually had one girlfriend and made her pay.....lol. That realationship didn't last long, but I did cut her a break. I wonder if that counts for anything......lol

MATT

Randy Scott
01-17-2002, 11:33 AM
Well, since I was married before I started this business, I'm thinking it's not a good idea.

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-17-2002, 11:39 AM
Tempted but that's it. If I ever stop looking, shoot me!!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

bobbygedd
01-17-2002, 11:50 AM
i was doing cutting only for this newly divorced beatiful young lady. she asked if there was anything we could do to "get the yard in shape" as far as fert and stuff. i said ill come by and talk . well, she offered me a refreshment, and after talking for a while said the veiw of the lawn was much better from the top floor. wouldnt u know it, the best veiw she said, was from the bedroom window. well, my heart was pounding so hard i thought it was going to stop. i almost swallowed my toungh. well, i high tailed it out of there. anyhow, thats as close as i came to dating a customer. anyone ever had any male clients hit on you?

Jason Pallas
01-17-2002, 01:50 PM
I've never really asked this question to landscapers before. A long time ago I used to drive a truck delivering office furniture (desks, files,safes, etc) in the winter instead of plowing snow. Anyway, at one supplier warehouse, I struck up a conversation with another driver/crew that worked for a company that strictly did residential deliveries - these guys swore that at least once or twice a week they'd get a lonely housewive or hot single woman that'd "give 'em a little delivery tip". Lucky guys - all I ever got was to stare at the rare and occasional good looking secratary/loading dock worker.

Mowingman
01-17-2002, 08:06 PM
I took over some customers from a guy who quit the lco business. One customer was a lady about my age who was divorced. I was fairly recently divorced at the time. First time I mowed her yard, I found out we were members of the same church, (it is a big church , so you can't know every member). Anyway, we started going to church activities together, then dating, and got married a while later. Its been a great 4 years and I still feel like I'm on my honeymoon. I owe it all to the lawncare business.:D

bob
01-17-2002, 08:21 PM
My wife says that I can look, but can't touch!!

walker-talker
01-17-2002, 08:53 PM
Bobbygedd,

Thats a a good story, but you left out the details man.....lol
Truth be known, my heart would have been pounding also....lol
When I was in my early 20's and working for a landscaping company, we use to dream of situations like yours......lol

MATT

thelawnguy
01-17-2002, 10:50 PM
Its costing me a lot of money to find out why you dont do these things... :(

odin
01-17-2002, 11:13 PM
BOB

My wife the sicilian kind who dont like looking or touching:D

James234
01-18-2002, 12:10 AM
This board goes all over the world and the previous posters have all spoken about unprofessional and in some cases illegal behavior. No wonder many people think of lawn service employees as untrustworthy. You all are proving it here.

bullfrog
01-18-2002, 12:23 AM
Bah!

I like hearing the stories.

Besides, if a few postings on the internet have a bad effect on your business, you could try a new motto, for example:

"We don't screw our customers" :D :D :D

Planter
01-18-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Jason Pallas
I never did collect on the $200 dollars she had due at the time I started to date her - oh well, maybe I'll try and take it out in trade now!;)

Good luck, bet you pay more now than you'll EVER get in trade!:)

Jason Pallas
01-18-2002, 01:06 AM
Oh - yeah no kidding - at the price of "trade" these days, I'd be lucky if that $200 got me a peck on the cheek;) LOL

bobbygedd
01-18-2002, 12:29 PM
THOSE WERE THE DETAILS!(wife lookink over my shoulder as im typing)

Russ
01-18-2002, 07:36 PM
Nope! Never have, never will!

Atlantic Lawn
01-18-2002, 08:00 PM
Never dated a customer ...but I did recieve an oral gratuity once from a very nice young lady.

bobbygedd
01-19-2002, 08:30 PM
u mean, she said thank?

Administrator
01-19-2002, 09:34 PM
This discussion is done with... Ive only read the last the posts in this thread but I can see its getting out of hand.