PDA

View Full Version : tl140&150 quotes and swath of destruction pic

trailmaker
07-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Are these figures in the ballpark for fair prices?
tl140cab $45,040 76in bucket $1472 rockhound 60in brush flail $10,317=$58,251
tl150cab $55,717 80 in bucket $1472 rockhound 72in brush flail $10,575=$69,458

I'll try to post pics of the latest mowing (tb 138fr with us mower)

bobcat_ron
07-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Now that is a nice setup!

Nice dog too!

ksss
07-24-2008, 10:18 PM
If you went used you could save a lot of money. The depreciation is stiff on everyones CTLs. Prices seem a tad high.

How well does the TK run the brush mower with the lower gpm? I have thought about one, but I wish TK would make more GPM at the aux.

Remember that TK is releasing their 200 series. You may consider getting one of the updated machines if you buy new. Depreciation will be more stiff on these new, pre 200 series machines.

trailmaker
07-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks Ron, the dog sits in her pope mobile while I work. KSS I lean towards new if I can swing it because I don't feel I have the experience to evaluate used equipment well enough. I like the Taks for their reliability. They don't have high flow but the dealer says he's sold this setup and had no complaints. US mower just came out with a mower that looks really promising but needs higher flow. I've heard that Gehl ctl's are Takeuchi with different cabs and high flow. That may be what I'm looking for, TK reliability with the high flow. I'm tempted by ASV but just hear to many mixed reviews while I rarely hear bad things about TK.

minimax
07-25-2008, 12:14 AM
That mower looks good on the mini,but where is the rubber flap?:nono:
I looked at and demoed a tak track loader and did't really like it and it won't run a big flail mower,I like the deere better for brush cutting and slope work.
It's to bad that the TB138 won't run a 40" inch head.Here is a pic of my mini and ctl with mowers

minimax

minimax
07-25-2008, 12:19 AM
trailmaker,I demoed Rockhound's flail mowers and you won't be happy with them after having a us mower head on your mini.

minimax

farmboy52787
07-25-2008, 12:21 AM
That mower looks good on the mini,but where is the rubber flap?:nono:
I looked at and demoed a tak track loader and did't really like it and it won't run a big flail mower,I like the deere better for brush cutting and slope work.
It's to bad that the TB138 won't run a 40" inch head.Here is a pic of my mini and ctl with mowers

minimax
I want to add brush cutting to my business, but I dont have the funds to add a skid steer with tracks to my monthly payments yet. Does that model there cuts trees too? Ive seen one brush cutter thing that takes a whole tree down and pretty much eats it. What do you charge per hour for doing that kind of work? Thanks

minimax
07-25-2008, 12:48 AM
farmboy,They will cut a 4" inch tree and eat it no prob.I have done as big as 6-8" inch but it take a long time.I charge 85 dollars per hour and get 2 hour minimum plus travel time when I'm off lsland

minimax

trailmaker
07-25-2008, 01:00 AM
Rubber flap got eaten:cry: The discharge side is still intact though. I'll demo the rockhound mower soon. What specific things didn't you like about it minimax? What do you know about the Gehl machine? Farmboy I just work my own property but I think guys can charge 150 per hour or something like that. This particular setup won't take down more than about 3-4 inches efficiently. Depends on the type of tree too. You could gnaw away for awhile but it would be easier to pull the stump later with the bucket. I'll grind what I can easily, then come through later and pull what's left with the bucket. I'll try to post a pic of what I leave for the second pass.

farmboy52787
07-25-2008, 01:00 AM
farmboy,They will cut a 4" inch tree and eat it no prob.I have done as big as 6-8" inch but it take a long time.I charge 85 dollars per hour and get 2 hour minimum plus travel time when I'm off lsland

minimax

Hey thanks, I didnt know Deere made skid steers with tracks, but i guess everyone has a track model now. They definately seem the way to go because i bet you rarely ever get stuck and you can go places a wheeled one would just get buried in. I've used a Cat skid steer with wheels for plowing and once most of the rubber is gone they are useless. You constantly have to get pulled out and you get stuck on a small incline in mud. If you dont mind me asking what did that skid steer with that brush cutter attachment cost? Thanks

stuvecorp
07-25-2008, 01:07 AM
That's cool your dog sitting in the gator. That mulcher does a nice job.

trailmaker
07-25-2008, 01:17 AM
Yamaha Rhino, similar to a gator. Dog likes to hang out in there, can't stand to be left at home missing the action. Farmboy if you search old posts you'll find a lot of good info on mulching. Always good to hear from people other than salesmen.

farmboy52787
07-25-2008, 01:29 AM
Why do you call it mulching? Mulching is when you put mulch in a flower bed or around stuff to make it look nice

minimax
07-25-2008, 01:32 AM
trailmaker,The rockhound mowers are just convated 3 point flail mowers so they are not built from the ground up to go on a skid,Like the us mower you can roll the head back and engage the blades in the tree or brush and when going though a ditch the front of the mower does not dig in,on the rockhound the head does not roll back more than 12' inchs off the ground on the front.The us mower has the triple blade setup and skid shoes stanard and you can get a push guard for it on the rockhound the triple blade costs more and so do the skids shoes do to and they do not make a push guard for it.When the demos rockhound heads showed up the paint was falling off both and the motor was leaking oil on one of them.I have gone to two 1/8 rubber conveyor belt for rubber flaps and it last 250 to 300 hours.I don't know anything about the gehl track loader are dealer is really bad.farmboy.The track loader was 44,000 and the mower was just a little less that 12,000.
Deere makes a good track loader IMO.

minimax

trailmaker
07-25-2008, 02:33 AM
That's helpful info minimax, thanks. No push guard is no good. I demoed a rotary mower with no push guard and any brush over two feet just fell back on to the mower after you cut the base. Sure you could lift the mower up and lower it down on tall brush but that's time consuming. Plus the finished cut was horrible looking. Rockhounds aren't much cheaper than US mower also. My US mower has taken a lot of punishment with no problems so I'll make sure to check out the razor. Farmboy, people sometimes use mowing, mulching and shredding interchangeably here. These hammer type flails, in my opinion are more of a shredder, leaving the ground covered with small sticks more or less. There are big burly carbide cutters with fixed teeth that leave more of a wood chip result. These are more expensive and require a higher flow

Treemow
07-25-2008, 09:20 AM
I have a Mustang mtl25 and have had good luck with it.

trailmaker
07-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the pics treemow. Have you had any issues with that mustang or that head. Is that FAE?

Treemow
07-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the pics treemow. Have you had any issues with that mustang or that head. Is that FAE?

It is a FAE head.The machine and the head have performed very well.The only issue you have here is heat.I have recently installed an aftermarket oil
cooler but have yet to run it.The machine holds up real well in the woods.

YellowDogSVC
07-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Why do you call it mulching? Mulching is when you put mulch in a flower bed or around stuff to make it look nice

The correct term would be spreading mulching in a flower bed. :drinkup:

YellowDogSVC
07-25-2008, 03:08 PM
I have a Mustang mtl25 and have had good luck with it.

gotta love the FAE's

Junior M
07-25-2008, 08:16 PM
ok not to rob this thread but you guys that mulch how hard is it to get in to that business? i mean more like how do you get in to it? who do you really appeal to? sorry didnt mean to rob the thread......

bobcat_ron
07-25-2008, 08:18 PM
ok not to rob this thread but you guys that mulch how hard is it to get in to that business? i mean more like how do you get in to it? who do you really appeal to? sorry didnt mean to rob the thread......

Dude, take it easy, I just got 10 instant email notifications regarding this thread!

Junior M
07-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Dude, take it easy, I just got 10 instant email notifications regarding this thread!
what are you talkn about?

Treemow
07-25-2008, 09:33 PM
gotta love the FAE's

I've ran some other heads but the FAE really stays together.It seems to be very good on the teeth wich is a blessing.

trailmaker
07-25-2008, 10:07 PM
JLM I mow my own land but if I didn't I'd probably have to pay someone to do it. I need this setup for keeping roads and trails open because the brush will grow right over in a year or two. The mowed area also makes a good firebreak which is a good thing here in California. I'm no biologist but I've heard that "edge habitat" increases the amount of wildlife on your land also. If there are landowners in your area they might need or want similar things. If you're already in some sort of heavy equipment business It should be as easy as bringing a mower to a site you know has brush, do a demo, and see if the customer is interested. Or if you know someone in the business who's not interested in mowing they might refer you.

AWJ Services
07-25-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm no biologist but I've heard that "edge habitat" increases the amount of wildlife on your land also.

I will attest too this.I also recommend cutting paths through out your property.
A bush hog mower and a tractor will suffice for this as well.
The wildlife love change of habitat.

Junior M
07-25-2008, 10:27 PM
JLM I mow my own land but if I didn't I'd probably have to pay someone to do it. I need this setup for keeping roads and trails open because the brush will grow right over in a year or two. The mowed area also makes a good firebreak which is a good thing here in California. I'm no biologist but I've heard that "edge habitat" increases the amount of wildlife on your land also. If there are landowners in your area they might need or want similar things. If you're already in some sort of heavy equipment business It should be as easy as bringing a mower to a site you know has brush, do a demo, and see if the customer is interested. Or if you know someone in the business who's not interested in mowing they might refer you.
well i was asking becuz ksss and others recommended in the thread i posted about finding work, that i should go after work that not alot of other people go after and not a lot of people really do it around here... and when i say not alot i know of about three... and the only reason i know of them is becuz i know some of there relatives and good friends........ but i was really thinking in to the future if you could get in with a few timber companies and offer clean up services either doing that or using a dozer.. and get in with the state thinning out the brush on the side of the road becuz they usually send in guys with machetes and weedeaters and you know that is time consuming and never really gets what needs done done (if that makes sense)

trailmaker
07-26-2008, 12:19 AM
JLM any of those things might work I guess the first step would be to call around to some of those companies or the state and ask some general questions.

Shadetree Ltd
07-26-2008, 03:21 AM
Can't help with the equipment q's but it looks like a beautiful newf. Browns for whatever reason aren't recognized in Canada so you don't see many at all. I have a 9 year old male and 7 year old saint.

trailmaker
07-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks, browns aren't that common here either but I really like the color. The coat is a pain to maintain but worth it. They are great dogs as you know.