PDA

View Full Version : Trailer size?

lawn crafters
07-24-2008, 10:59 PM
if i was to upgrade my trailer and get a 48 walker how big of a trailer would i need (allong with my 22 push and 36 lesco). and if i got a stander 48 instead of the walker. i am thinking a 12 for walker and a 10 with stander

lawnprosteveo
07-24-2008, 11:01 PM
You might consider a 14'. I haul two Toro 21's, a 36" wb, and a Deere Quik Trak...and still have a little room for extra.

A 12' would work but could be a little tight...I dont think you would be happy with a 10' at all.

Just my 2 cents.

Chilehead
07-25-2008, 12:30 AM
You might consider a 14'. I haul two Toro 21's, a 36" wb, and a Deere Quik Trak...and still have a little room for extra.

A 12' would work but could be a little tight...I dont think you would be happy with a 10' at all.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd have to agree. You could make it with a 12', but that would be with very little space left over. I think a 6 x 14 tandem axle would be the way to go.

topsites
07-25-2008, 12:34 AM
It's up to you but I like my 6x12 single axle, all I've ever had.

lawnpro724
07-25-2008, 03:42 PM
If your planning on being in this business for a long time and are going to be doing more than just mowing get a 16-20' tandem axle trailer. It may be more than you need at this time but before you know it, it won't be enough

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-25-2008, 04:47 PM

Agreed, seems good size.

punt66
07-25-2008, 04:57 PM

me too, trailer is lighter, easy to whip around with, although mines enclosed.

LawnSharks
07-25-2008, 09:22 PM
When I started I bought maybe 4 trailers in a year and half. I kept getting little larger each time. Now, we have settled on 3 6.5' x 14' dual axle trailers for daily equipment hauling and use the smaller 6 x 10 and 6 x 12's for refuse hauling and for fert apps.
Want some good advice.....go a little larger than you actually need right now.

dura to the max
07-25-2008, 10:11 PM
i wouldnt go any smaller than a 14', but i dont run any for any period of time under 16'. and ig you go w/ the walker the 16' would be a lot better, i think a dual axle would be a better choice so you can haul clippings as well. i carry 1 48" w/b and 1 52" ztr on my trailer and handhelds, the 22" goes in the truck. i can haul any extra tools or materials w/ the equipment loaded, and still work easily. saves trips thus saving gas (my 3500 crew cab gets the same loaded or unloaded). also w/ a larger dual axle i do a heck of a lot more than cut lawns, wednsday we had a dingo, too many limbs to fit in the bed of the truck, a wheelbarrow, some mulch, dirt, and i still had room. saves running around all the time.

i know that for my business personally we serve a lot of customers that choose us because we are full service, one call and one name and they get w/e they need. having a smaller trailer would hinder me from growing more, and offering all my services. for the market that i'm in, i sell b/c i can do it all, thus i need a larger trailer. w/ my setup i back 2 mowers off the trailer and am ready for w/e project i have and have ALL my handhelds.

(just a side note, the larger the trailer the easier it is to back and w/ a 16' it maneuvers very nicely)

hackitdown
07-26-2008, 01:28 PM
I find a 16' very usefull. I have a 52" ZTR and a 48" stander. Some days I carry a 21". Everything is on or off very quickly, since there is plenty of room.

ALC-GregH
07-27-2008, 12:19 PM
I kinda wish I had went with at least a 14ft trailer to start with just for that extra 2 foot. However, I feel a 6x12 single axle is easier to back up with and get into tighter places when need be. For now, I have enough room for all my equipment plus a tool box mounted on the tongue with tools and other stuff. It seems to be enough for now. I've had it piled 10ft high with tree branches and debris from a clean-up job. Obviously I didn't have the mower with me. Any larger and I'd have to go tandem axle and I'd rather stick with single. I also feel there's less sidewall stress on the tires with a single axle as well as less wear and tear on the bearings.

mowerbrad
07-27-2008, 12:57 PM
You are definately going to want a trailer that gives you a little extra room. I've got a 14' dual axle have about 4 extra feet when I have my ztr on there. I really wish I had more space during the fall, so I don't have to empty the leaves from the trailer so often. It doesn't take long to fill a trailer with leaves/debris. Get a trailer that gives you a little extra room for hauling and growing your business.

ALC-GregH
07-27-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm satisfied with the 6x12 for now. Maybe in a few years I'll go to tandem axles.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn2731.jpg

MileHigh
07-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Ive got a 14 foot tandem axle trailer with 3 foot sides...

The extra 2 feet that a 16 would bring me would make things much easier.

bohiaa
07-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm satisfied with the 6x12 for now. Maybe in a few years I'll go to tandem axles.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn2731.jpg

Does your insurance co know what your doing ????

rather do you know what your doing ?

ALC-GregH
07-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Does your insurance co know what your doing ????

rather do you know what your doing ?

not sure what you mean? I have full coverage commercial insurance.