PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get Motivated

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-17-2002, 12:09 PM
This is pitiful!!! I have 6 weeks to get three weeks worth of work done but just can't get motivated. I've had a mulch pile sitting in this ladies driveway for a month. Money isn't a issue since I saved enough pennies in the summer to get me through the winter. Normal winters dictate when I'm able to work. Foot of snow and I'm off for 3 weeks. I would be like a caged animal let loose when the snow melted, eager to work. This hasn't been the case this winter. Snow has only knocked me out of work for three days. I have perfected the act of procastination. I don't consider myself lazy since I put in 70 hour weeks in the summer. Maybe my golf vacation at the end of the month will rejuvenate me!! Anyone else suffering from this syndrome?????

LAWNS AND (yawn) MOWER

Charles
01-17-2002, 12:33 PM
I go through the same thing every winter. The procrastination doldrums. I say every year that i will get a winter job for a couple of months and never do. Worked hard spring, summer and fall and still feel the need to do something this time of year. GF says I just am being "lazy" LAZY %^&*(*^$# LOL. Worked myself to death most of the year in a seasonal type job. Part of the problem I think is switching gear to hyper demanding work to slow well it aint going to make much of a difference its too cold work.
As for another type of temporay job for a couple of months. Its hard for me to go from being my own boss and making all the profits to working for someone else and the pain in the azz training process. By the time I learned the job it would be time to cut grass.
I am still getting the once a month new customer call on a warm sunny day clean up call. I have trouble even returning these calls because all the equipment has been put up til spring and its not worth getting all loaded up for one job that wont make much of a difference lol
yaaawwwnning myself

KirbysLawn
01-17-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by LAWNS AND MOWER
I've had a mulch pile sitting in this ladies driveway for a month.

I'm sure she is real happy about that. If I was her I would hire someone else to do the job and have you come remove your pile that has been sitting in my driveway for a month.

Richard Martin
01-17-2002, 02:08 PM
I was going to work for a friend running his gutter crew but after one day of that I said "no thanks". Since then I've just been doing little handyman jobs for my customers and winterizing other people's lawn and garden equiptment. I am having a great deal of trouble getting motivated to do the handyman work though. I did just finish up a repair on a POS Scotts push mower with a 6hp Briggs engine that had multiple reasons why it wouldn't start.

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-17-2002, 03:31 PM
Reasons not to work today.........

1. Sun is way too bright
2. Might chip a fingernail
3. Need to watch the Weather Channel
4. Have to get golf clubs regripped
5. Play Madden 2002 on N64
6. There's always tommorow
7. Have to do laundry
8. Got 3 checks in the mail
9. Mickey Dee's is having a special on Quarter Pounders
10. Happy Hour starts in 4 hours
11. Need to get on Lawnsite
12. Jerry Springer comes on in 5 minutes

LAWNS AND MOWER

P.S. Kirby-- This lady doesn't drive plus I nibble on the mulch pile every now and then.

tranum
01-17-2002, 03:44 PM
go out & buy a bunch of new toys.

on credit.......always works for me!!!!!!

Foster
01-17-2002, 03:49 PM
Oh man, You've hit my nail on the head! I need to get on a teadmill or stairmaster or something! It seems that after going to a tradeshow helps to get me fired up. My season don't start until april, so I have some hibernating to do yet.

Turfdude
01-17-2002, 05:43 PM
Brother - you must be single!!! I'd do anything to keep out of the house and away from my wife!!! We still have 1/2 week left of clean-ups then 2-3 days fully winterize equipment, do visual inspction and r+r all broken equipment. Then I'm lucky enough to have 1-2 weeks of odds and ends to do w/ my foreman. After that it's time to start bidding on the new accounts for this season (again at least 3-4 days). Hopefully we'll get some snow to plow. Go a hardsape seminar coming up. Possibly a web page to design?? Meeting w/ engineering firm to check on status of new shop to build. Oh yeah, I can hit the gym 5 days a week for 2 hours a pop. And of course 2 nights of volleyball a week, and a few confirmed skiing trips. Spend my time at home w/ the 3 kids and dog:D .

NEVER A DULL MOMENT!!!:angel:

Bob

JimLewis
01-18-2002, 02:51 AM
I understand your dilema. I kinda get the same thing in the winter. Actually, I am a little lazy all year. But in the spring and summer I just go to work regardless. I have to, we get swamped.

Some of it has to be winter blues. It's just so dark and depressing outside. That never helps.

But I prefer to call it Ambitiously Lazy. I was ambitious enough to build a big enough business so that my employees can work and I can be lazy. I worked hard for a while but now I can afford to be a tad more lazy.

Anyway, I still get burned out in the winter. And I think that's all it really is. I used to be a recruiter in college and every summer most of the other recruiters would reach a point of burn-out. They'd just get sick of doing the work and start being lazy. Some would never come out of it and lose their position. For some reason, I never got it at that job.

But I have with landscaping. I get it every winter about November. I just don't want to do anything. I'll have estimates to go give, other things I could be doing. But I just put them off for no reason in favor of a hundred other useless things. The good thing is that my employees are still working and making me money. So our income isn't effected. And I always eventually get to the things I need to do, just not as fast.

I was burned out this year from about late October until Christmas Day. Then for some reason on Christmas Day I got the bug again and I've been puting in 40+ hours per week on productive work ever since. Good thing to because we've landed a bunch of good jobs and got off to an early start this year.

I think one of the main reasons that I got the bug was that I took like 4 or 5 vacations in the last few months. I barely worked in Nov and Dec. I think I needed that time to just unwind and get my thoughts back in order from our busiest year yet.

My advice (as long as you can afford it) is to travel, play nintendo, golf, don't do a damn thing. Then one day you'll snap out of it. It's always worked for me the last few years. Just this year I snapped early. :D

Atlantic Lawn
01-18-2002, 07:19 AM
This time of year we always bring our poles with us. Draggin' a 30 lbs Stripped Bass out of the Ocean during morning break makes work a bit more fun.

HOMER
01-18-2002, 07:36 AM
Darn glad to see it ain't just me!

Right now.....................I suck!

I wouldn't have me as a husband
I surely wouldn't have me as an employee for cryin' out loud.

I just suck...............Charles, I think it's that SAD's thing again. I hook up and do a couple things, ride by some and say.........it can wait. Problem is I'm running out of month fast and at least need to do them once this month.............I suck!

I know what I'll do. I'll wait til the very last possible moment to cram them in and still miss a couple. The leaves are very slow to fall this year, Bradford Pears have just now dropped all their leaves so there will be that to do. Oaks are almost done dropping. If this month was bad next month will be absolutely terrible. There won't be a thing to do but sleep in and get fatter.

I suck but I'm getting better

TGCummings
01-18-2002, 10:31 AM
Ah, the winter blues...

For the last several weeks, I've been avoiding most anything having to do with the lawn business as often as I can. Sure, I get out and cut my obligatory properties (though you can scarcely call me "there") and, for the most part, stay ahead of the game but when I come home...

I haven't signed on to LawnSite in over a week (shame!).

I quickly had to log a week and a half worth of hours last weekend (before going to a party) because I kept putting them off.

I haven't entered incoming checks into my account files very regularly, or deposited them very quickly.

I haven't maintenanced my equipment (beyond changing the blades!) since around Thanksgiving. When you're cutting air it seems such a waste of good, quality goof-off time to do all the other little things.

I haven't used my 36" mower in over a month because I don't want to have to fiddle around with hoisting it up to change the dull-beyond-measure blades. Furthermore, I haven't loaded it onto the trailer in the morning for two weeks because it's been sooo cold I didn't want to be bothered with starting it up... ;)

These are the lazy days of winter, my friends, enjoy them while the last. As Jim Lewis prophetically articulated: We will snap out of this. Sooner than we think.

Rest assured you are not alone...

Charles
01-18-2002, 11:06 AM
Man I am glad I am not alone at this stinking up the area lol. This was really a timely thread Lawn And Mower. I worked hard up until christmas and after that as usual I hit a brick wall. The weather and darkness and lack of consistant work just took the wind out of my sails like it has done to alot of us. I put off even going grocery shopping until the last minute. Clean up the house-- nah it can waite until tommorrow. Tommorrow never comes lol. I agree part of it is burnout. You give all you got during the normal season time and it takes a couple of months to get the bug again. Lie I said I had a small job to do but just went and looked at my equipment and thought "dayumm its just too much trouble to move this or move that or go get gas yada yada" I began to snap out of it around march 1st every year. I know it will happen but the guilt of goofing off never leaves.
Ya Homer I stink too. haha

Heavenly Green
01-18-2002, 03:23 PM
My wife thinks Im A bum. Clean-ups were done Dec.1st
then I spent 2wks winterizing all equipment after that there still
wasnt any snow so I figured A job might be good "NOT" after
1wk training and 1wk working for 7.00an hr. I quit! It sucked.
So now Im just scraping by with my winter contracts bringing in
money every month till april 1.

Im having A hard time getting motivated to do anything
tommorro always sounds better to me. I guess in about A month
Ill be getting hungry for new accounts and start advertizing.
Just hope I do snap out it. This is my first year fulltime so Ive
never had this much free time on my hands. Before going fulltime
I was A Tool&Die Maker for 3yrs working 55hrs a week and cutting
about 20hrs a wk. in the summer. So this is my first FREE winter
and just hoping I dont stay in what my wife calls BUM MODE!!!!!!!
She works full-time now but before I went fulltime w/bizz she was
just A full-time student now she works a fulltime job and calls me
a BUM!!!!!!!

Just Glad Im Not The Only One!!!!

STEVE@S&S Heavenly Green Lawns"LLC":confused:

Island Lawn
01-18-2002, 03:26 PM
Me too, I must confess.

Today has been my most productive day in a while.

I greased my zerks and balls!

I'm BEAT.

I must rest.

:alien:

MuskTurfKing
01-18-2002, 04:07 PM
I too must confess that I'm a bum. I just called a guy back about doing some landscaping work, I'm starting to get motivated again.

Once I start getting all the calls for bids, I get a little excited. :)

But as of now, the to-do list is to big and scary to tackle right now. :D

Hank

JimLewis
01-18-2002, 04:15 PM
Steve, don't worry too much about what the wife thinks - right now. Keep getting more and more year-round accounts and in future years when you are bringing in 15 Gs in the winter per month, trust me, she won't say a word. My wife used to complain about it years ago and now she's used to it. And she doesn't have anything to complain about because I still bring in plenty of dough.

Although I am happy to say that this winter her attitude is a tad better than in previous year because she too stays home full time. So it's not as bad. For some reason, in previous years when she was working FT and I was at home in the winter, there was always a little resentment, even though I was bringing in more than she was just sitting on my butt.

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-18-2002, 05:22 PM
Turfdude- I'm married with kids. Each morning, weather permitting,I go through the motions and put on my work clothes, and leave in my work van. Only problem is I'm not getting much work done!!!! Must get the Big Gulp @ 7-eleven, check out the new mowers and other toys at the local dealer, go check mail at the post office, and then it's time to eat lunch. You get the picture. I'll snap out of it soon. Always do each year. When there's those first few days of warm weather in early March and I'm in shorts and a t-shirt, that's when I'll kick into high gear!!! There's a line in a Bruce Springsteen song that goes " I can feel the first breezes of summer" That line sticks in my head when I finally snap out of this.

Was gonna work today but my CD Walkman is torn up!!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

HOMER
01-18-2002, 06:54 PM
I'm beginning to think we all suck!:cry:

Ain't we a pitiful bunch................some might consider us losers or something.

I went out to the barn and thought about cleaning it up but figured I'd get dirty...........came back in the house.

Boy I can't wait til next month.

How bout we all get together down here and ride around loooking at things..........eat something.........ride to the next town...........eat some more.............ride............well you get the picture.

Any good movies out?

Turfdude
01-18-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by HOMER
I'm beginning to think we all suck!:cry:

Ain't we a pitiful bunch................some might consider us losers or something.

I went out to the barn and thought about cleaning it up but figured I'd get dirty...........came back in the house.

Boy I can't wait til next month.

How bout we all get together down here and ride around loooking at things..........eat something.........ride to the next town...........eat some more.............ride............well you get the picture.

Any good movies out?

I think I see a pattern forming!!!

Let me know when ya'all make it to South Jersey. Maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon!!! Anyway we're finally down to under 1 week of fall clean-ups. Did a small landscape job today --- then hooked up the plows. Me thinks they're calling fo something!!

Harold Fox -- if you see this, yup - I'm ready this time and I think for a reason!!

Later dudes.

mark2
01-18-2002, 10:34 PM
I've used every excuse I can think of to justify not getting things done. It sure has been nice being lazy but If I don't get in gear I will be behind when season starts. If I could just get caught up I could enjoy being lazy even more!

awm
01-18-2002, 10:47 PM
yes we is pitiful. but i feel a little better after this post.
it sho is hard to drive these old bones out in the cold an damp
to do handyman work.nice to know im not the only one tho.
might help some monday morning.later now

MuskTurfKing
01-18-2002, 11:54 PM
Well, in an attempt to break the cycle of our bum syndrome, I go to bid on some landscape work and a leaf removal Sunday. Now if I can just get over this stupid virus and sinus infection...

Hank

BRIAN GALLO
01-19-2002, 01:14 AM
I think it's probably that we are so used to working mega hours from March to December that we just "feel" like were slacking it in the winter. My wife says that winter is the only time she sees me! During the summer we're like that old Army commercial that says "we do more before 9 am than most people do all day"! :D

Southern Lawns
01-19-2002, 10:45 AM
Reading this post was like a breath of freash air. I'm not alone. Gonna go watch football and take another nap. See ya,
Raymond
I keep telling myself spring will be here soon enough!

Charles
01-19-2002, 11:27 AM
Well I know I cant work tommorrow because its Martin luther King day. Least we will have a guilt free day because it is a legal Holiday anyway hahaha

big james
01-19-2002, 12:02 PM
Guys just think of all the hustling you could be doing this time of year , you could be out selling for yourself ,laying them business cards on people lol. I go thru the same thing in the winter ,got a friend who owns his own big truck <iused to do that for a living > I took a trip with him and boy was i glad to get home ,it motivated me tremendousley , to think of having to do that for a living again lit a fire under my rear end for sure!:D

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-19-2002, 01:03 PM
Damm it!!! I was going to work today. Really, honestly, truly!!!! Only problem is I woke up to a major icestorm. Guess I'll lay on the couch, drink football and watch beer. Big James-- If we did everything you suggest then we might just have to do some work!!! Tuesday is suppose to be sunny and 60. Might be too warm to work. Don't need to be sweating.

LAWNS AND MOWER