PDA

View Full Version : enclosed or open?

Branching Out
07-24-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm confused....why are there sooooo many open trailers on here?...I can't for the life of me see why you would buy one...I think that enclosed is the only way...what do you guys think?

PLS-Tx
07-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Enclosed is better, but open is cheaper.

Petr51488
07-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Enclosed is better, but open is cheaper.

True. Some people cant afford an enclosed. I have an enclosed for my equipment, and an open dump trailer for all my grass clippings/lawn debris.

shane mapes
07-25-2008, 01:16 AM
open for me is the bet. enclosed is to time consuming , safer.

KrayzKajun
07-25-2008, 10:38 AM
I run both! depends on my mood! LOL

mag360
07-25-2008, 10:53 AM
We run both. One nice thing about an open trailer is fueling up, or blowing off the equipment. Our 20ft black enclosed shows battle scars from tree-lined roads (and a couple curbs) and it gets old to see it come back from a day of mowing with mystery dingmarks on the right front corner (or worse). The enclosed is great when it rains or when it's cold outside and great for storage.

DoetschOutdoor
07-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Thats why you gotta have both. As of now I only have the enclosed and wouldnt have it any other way for mowing but I desperately need an open for other jobs.

pasto_guy
07-25-2008, 01:07 PM
We use both also but the mowing crews use enclosed. We get lots of calls because our Phone # and name are huge on the sides of the trailers. It's a moving billboard. 1 drawback of the enclosed is the weight and extra fuel used to pull it. You won't be using a 1500 truck to pull a 20ft enclosed trailer loaded with equipment. If you do you won't be for long.

JosephLawnCare
07-25-2008, 10:12 PM
I've had both. The enclosed just gets beat to hell and back, plus looks like crap when they do. And the heavy duty ones are expensive. Open is great if you have a shop and don't have to unload everyday!!

PLS-Tx
07-25-2008, 11:31 PM
I've had both. The enclosed just gets beat to hell and back, plus looks like crap when they do. And the heavy duty ones are expensive. Open is great if you have a shop and don't have to unload everyday!!

We have a white 8.5x20, been running it about 2 1/2 yrs, and it still looks as good as when we got it. Actually, it looks better than when we got it, now it's all lettered up.

We also have a open that we use for mulch and brush, but the enclosed is great for mowing, can't beat having a bathroom with you all day.

MysticLandscape
07-26-2008, 08:43 AM
I was mowing next to another LCO with an open trailer the other day. It started to pour like we were in a tropical jungle. I just drove my walker into the trailer an looked back as they struggled to get the mowers on the trailer an they got drenched while I sat in my trailer an laughed.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
07-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Enclosed,if i had it to do over i would have got a pos enclosed,mine get beat to death...........

olde_blue
07-26-2008, 10:59 AM
One thought: open trailers are much safer to back up and change lanes with, since you can see through the gate and across the trailer when it is at an angle with your truck. Also, any trailer with fenders which stick out is easier to tow, since you can more easily see in your mirrors how close your tires are to the curb (the 8' and wider enclosed trailers fenders do not stick out--and you will need a 7 to 8' wide enclosed trailer to fit a 60" mower in, since the rear doors are significantly narrower than the trailer).

That said, enclosed trailers are convenient. . . :)

lawnprosteveo
07-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Opens all Ive ever had. Mostly because of cost. Im sure there are some benefits to an enclosed...but not enough to get me to fork over the extra cash.

South Florida Lawns
07-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah my enclosed is showing many battle scars. Seems if you look at it wrong it will dent. I will only run enclosed, for security and to keep off the harsh elements in Florida. Although the real way to go is a cab over box truck.

Chilehead
07-26-2008, 11:54 PM
I use/prefer an open trailer: easier access to equipment(locks are a MUST, though), higher payload allowance when comparing equal-sized trailers with equal axles, and if you build walls for it with plywood(leave the top open), you can easily load/haul a TON, no--make that several tons of debris/mulch/materials.

RedWingsDet
07-28-2008, 01:18 AM
For Mowing, Enclosed all the way.

You want to be cheap? You get cheap!
I dont mind spending 9,000+ on a good 8x20ft trailer that will last.
It does get beat up, but anything over time will.

lawncuttinfoo
07-31-2008, 08:29 AM
Doesn't the grass build up on the machines begin to rot and stink in the enclosed not to mention how hot it gets in there? I couldn't even imagine if you had one bag of clippings in it.

olde_blue
07-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Don't forget exhaust fumes. . . :dizzy:

lawncuttinfoo
07-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Doesn't the grass build up on the machines begin to rot and stink in the enclosed not to mention how hot it gets in there? I couldn't even imagine if you had one bag of clippings in it.

Enclosed is probably the best option if you are the owner, don't do any work, and don't care about your employees.

punt66
07-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Enclosed is probably the best option if you are the owner, don't do any work, and don't care about your employees.

What?? I use enlosed. keeps equipment secure, out of the sun, rain. Grass clippings smell in trailer? Dont you occasionaly blow off your equipment and trailer. I dont let things sit long enough to rot. in the trailer stays all handhelds, backback sprayer, etc. Bed of my truck stays empty. I just unhook and go. Its also an extra garage to leave equipment in in the winter.

DoetschOutdoor
07-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Theres a reason why the mowers around town on open trailers have faded paint jobs compared to the mowers stored in enclosed trailers...

SunState Lawn Care inc
07-31-2008, 06:44 PM
I have used both also had some equipment stolen out of my enclosed as well. The open trailer is easier to get to your stuff just walk up and grab it off the racks or out of the basket where as the open one you have to go inside each time to you need a tool. Then enclosed is far better for the fact you can close it up and not worry about the weather and such. I still use open trailers though. We are looking into buying an Isuzu box truck to start working out of for Maint.

ankkuli
08-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi,

I am reading this site as there isn't really any site up here about commercial lawn moving nor landscaping. Many things you guys talk about apply to my area & country, some don't, but I still feel I can learn a lot.

I wonder if anyone is using such trailers as we do.

I have one of these (w. 2 axles and longer bed tough):
http://www.lakeudenterasrakenne.com/photo06032006015543/1203162391.jpg

The one in picture takes around 1000 lbs payload and has no brakes of it's own. Heavy duty model has mechanic brakes, other tires and takes 2000 lbs payload. Tilt is great when loading mowers, quads or snowmobiles. ABS-plastic or glassfiber cover gives most advantages of open and enclosed. The trailer itself weights some 550 lbs with cover.

Our trailers are lighter than yours, mostly because Ford Ranger is defined as a medium (or large) truck up here. Typical hauler for such a trailer is a small van or pickup w. 2.5 diesel. I even used a 1.6 litre Nissan compact for some time :laugh:

punt66
08-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi,

I am reading this site as there isn't really any site up here about commercial lawn moving nor landscaping. Many things you guys talk about apply to my area & country, some don't, but I still feel I can learn a lot.

I wonder if anyone is using such trailers as we do.

I have one of these (w. 2 axles and longer bed tough):
http://www.lakeudenterasrakenne.com/photo06032006015543/1203162391.jpg

The one in picture takes around 1000 lbs payload and has no brakes of it's own. Heavy duty model has mechanic brakes, other tires and takes 2000 lbs payload. Tilt is great when loading mowers, quads or snowmobiles. ABS-plastic or glassfiber cover gives most advantages of open and enclosed. The trailer itself weights some 550 lbs with cover.

Our trailers are lighter than yours, mostly because Ford Ranger is defined as a medium (or large) truck up here. Typical hauler for such a trailer is a small van or pickup w. 2.5 diesel. I even used a 1.6 litre Nissan compact for some time :laugh:

Too small. Will not hold the equipment needed for the days tasks.

ankkuli
08-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Too small. Will not hold the equipment needed for the days tasks.

That's another thing which seems to be different. Guys doing commercial lawns in industrial areas and such do not use that much equipment. Most only have a mower and, maybe, a trimmer. No edging, no blowing, clippings will stay on pavement, rain will wash 'em away.

There are bigger trilers, like this one: http://www.farmi.fi/252/images/img_0019.jpg (4500 lbs payload)

but i've seen no one using them for lawn business.

punt66
08-08-2008, 06:05 AM
That's another thing which seems to be different. Guys doing commercial lawns in industrial areas and such do not use that much equipment. Most only have a mower and, maybe, a trimmer. No edging, no blowing, clippings will stay on pavement, rain will wash 'em away.

There are bigger trilers, like this one: http://www.farmi.fi/252/images/img_0019.jpg (4500 lbs payload)

but i've seen no one using them for lawn business.

That trailer is high off the ground. lso there is no gate. How do you get the mowers up? Most company's here will carry 2 ztr's, 2 backpack blowers, 2 trimmers, an edger, hedge trimmer, backpack sprayer,, shovels, rakes, pitchforks, gas cans, trimmerline, tools etc etc.