PDA

View Full Version : PJ Trailers

rt20
07-25-2008, 02:01 AM
Anybody own one of these? How do you like them?

http://www.pjtrailers.com/index.cfm

07-25-2008, 04:27 AM
I really like my PJ trailer. :)

JohnnyRoyale
07-25-2008, 07:24 AM
I had gone to seen one, and it looked good. Didn't buy it because the dealer and the label said it was 22 ft, but it was actually 20 Ft when I measured it. Got one custom built locally instead. Overall, a good product IMO.

rt20
07-25-2008, 09:15 AM
thanksguys , I'm pretty sure I'm getting one of these. The only thing I didn't like about it was I have to buy the spare tire. Love the spring assisted ramp, easy lube tires and front access with ramps.

http://www.rondotrailer.com/inventory/5585/slides/pic01.jpg

Junior M
07-25-2008, 10:40 AM
I have a PJ deckover trailer and i love it..... no rust...... i love the spring assist ramps..and i love all the add ons you can get when you actually order a trailer.. but overall they are a better quality trailer than a horton.

mow king
07-25-2008, 12:18 PM
I have a PJ deckover trailer and i love it..... no rust...... i love the spring assist ramps..and i love all the add ons you can get when you actually order a trailer.. but overall they are a better quality trailer than a horton.

Rust really shouldn't be much of a problem on any trailer in SC compared to up north, correct?

DBL
07-25-2008, 12:32 PM
used to have a pj single axle before we went to all tandems but it was a great trailer for its size

Merlin300
07-25-2008, 04:57 PM
I have a 14' goose neck dump trailer from them. I like the trailer, well built, and the powder coating v.s. paint is a plus. The only thing I don't like is the wheel bearings used. I have the easy lube bearings and had 2 go out on the front axel in under a year. When I pulled it apart they used some China made bearings. I replaced them with Timmkin bearings and have not had a problem since.

bobcat_ron
07-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Oh crap, I should have looked them up before buying my current trailer, waaaaaaay more options and higher GVW, and there's a dealer just in town! Damn it!

Junior M
07-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Rust really shouldn't be much of a problem on any trailer in SC compared to up north, correct?
no actually i have seen trailers look just as bad here as where i am from, ohio, becuz the sun is tough on the paint it will fade the paint and then it will eventually rust.... that is why we got the pj becuz it is powder coated and finished and shouldnt rust....

Whitey4
07-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Why does every sigle lawn maintenance hardware supplier REFUSE to show list prices? From mowers, to edgers, to trailers.... I KNOW that list is suggested retail.... I want a ballpark number. Don't give me a price, I look elsewhere.... just like I did at this trailer site. I'll never buy from them, unless I happen into one of their dealers, instead of looking for one of their dealers. The people making their marketing decisions are clueless.... and it costs them in sales.

Junior M
07-25-2008, 11:31 PM
i always thought websites and companies like PJ trailers didnt post prices becuz they sell them to independent dealerships that set there own prices...

Jason Rose
07-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Nice trailers overall, built in Mexico by CHEAP labor though. Sides are removeable which is a neet feature for some people but because they are removeable they aren't rigid like most trailers, if you mount trimmer racks to them they WILL wobble more.

The end gate, the expanded metal they use is CRAP. It's rather thin and about a size larger (meaning the holes in it are bigger) than you should really use for a gate. KSGrasscutter on here has one and it's all broke out, even my smaller trailer that only has a Dixon mower and a Permagreen going up and down it mainly, is starting to sag between the struts. Not to mention it's not "grippy" like it should be, I've came close to wiping out more times than I'd like, and my Walker dealer stepped on it one day and went down.

Other than that I like the powdercoat paint they use and they are just a nice looking trailer with the fenders and all the recessed lights. They are pretty spendy, at least for around here, but cheaper trailers the same size were just built terribly so it was better to spend more $$ and get something built heavier overall, other than the gate.

Whitey4
07-26-2008, 10:54 PM
i always thought websites and companies like PJ trailers didnt post prices becuz they sell them to independent dealerships that set there own prices...

There is always a MSRP.... Manufacturer's Sugggested Retail Price. like the sticker price on a new truck or car.... IF you pay sticker, yer an idiot. It IS however a good way to gauge value, relatively from one manufacturer to another. Add ons like dealer prep, destination fees, etc, allow dealers plenty of room to fudge.

I REFUSE to go find a dealer just to get a ballpark price for comparison shopping... and companies that don't show list or MSRP are freaking knuckleheads. make it EASY to buy.... that means telling people HOW MUCH THE STINKIN THING MIGHT COST!

rt20
07-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Sides are removeable which is a neet feature for some people but because they are removeable they aren't rigid like most trailers, if you mount trimmer racks to them they WILL wobble more.

The end gate, the expanded metal they use is CRAP. It's rather thin and about a size larger (meaning the holes in it are bigger) than you should really use for a gate. KSGrasscutter on here has one and it's all broke out, even my smaller trailer that only has a Dixon mower and a Permagreen going up and down it mainly, is starting to sag between the struts.

We use vans so everything is inside them, but I had to pick the removable sides over getting a mounted box to put on the trailer because of this.

I can see after looking at it now that it could sag between the struts running a couple zero turns up and down all week. I'll keep an eye on that.

tx-1
07-29-2008, 12:34 AM
I agree totally with jason rose. I have 3 of these that I bought new last year. they have some nice features, but ramps are beat to s*&t already, I liked the recessed lights, but my other trailers I have are better built and seem to hold a load better. They also cost more and in my opinion aren't really made for the day to day use, especially with employees!!!!!!!!

rt20
07-30-2008, 10:41 PM
I agree totally with jason rose. I have 3 of these that I bought new last year. they have some nice features, but ramps are beat to s*&t already, I liked the recessed lights, but my other trailers I have are better built and seem to hold a load better. They also cost more and in my opinion aren't really made for the day to day use, especially with employees!!!!!!!!

What is the make of your other trailers?

We had one of the covers on th eeasy lube tires fall off. Who knows where it went. Dealer gave us a new one for free, but had a whole pile on hand. uh-oh

tx-1
07-31-2008, 05:00 PM
I have 3 falcon trailers. made here in Texas (Tyler I think). I should of bought those instead of the pj's, but dealer had a good price, on the 3 pj's I bought. Also I think at the time Falcons had a back order on the size I wanted. Pj's are a great trailer, and look fancy with the diamond tread wheel wells, but the ramps are inferior and have been rebuilt already on all three. Now my Pj's trailers get alot of use (6-7 days a week), and I know my employee's are hard on them but my other falcons see just as much if not more abuse and still are going strong. I think I got a better deal on the falcon's and seem to be just as well built if not better. I can pretty much say that the next trailers I buy will be falcon.

pjtrailerguy
08-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Interesting that you say that about your expanded metal bending on your PJ gates because it has been an issue with them. Just a few weeks ago they changed all their gates to 4 angle iron supports running vertical instead of only 3. They are much closer together and much stronger now. I only noticed it on our last 2 shipments so its very recent. Another thing about the removeable siderails on a PJ....because PJ uses C channel for the main frame instead of the normal run of the mill angle iron, the sides are not a structural component of the trailer. Simply cargo control.

mattfromNY
08-04-2008, 09:24 PM
I have a 6 x 10 dump, and a 6 x 10 landscape. Like them both, dump trailer is like watching grass grow waiting for it to dump, Sllllooooooowwwwwww. And we've replaced the expanded metal on the landscape gate twice, and added extra supports where the ZTR wheels ride. I love the fact that the landscape has a brake axle, and both are built very heavy duty- so far they've held up really well to three seasons of abuse with no major malfunctions. I have to argue about the paint holding up so well, both my trailers are rusting pretty bad.

pjtrailerguy
08-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Are they PJs? If they are, PJ has a struggle keeping paint on trailers in NY due to the liberal amount of salt they use there. In PA they hold up real well. Good move on the gate reinforcements. We used to do that quite frequently.

rt20
08-16-2008, 10:47 PM
At the beginning of two weeks there were tire ruts in the gate, and the welds were broke at the end of the week. I called the dealer and they welded struts on the two outside sections and rewelded the areas broken at no charge. I was told I could have ordered a gate with better reinforced expanded metal, but wasn't given the opportunity.

coobie
08-16-2008, 11:22 PM
I bought a 20ft PJ utilty trailer last spring and love it well made IMHO.coobie

Grass Happens
08-17-2008, 12:34 AM
My freind has the 14' 84" wide model just like it your pic rt. He is a lawn mower dealer, so the trailer gets used in winter for delivery/pick-ups, and boy is that thing rusty already. And yea, the gate has all kinds of reinforcements, like 6 horizontal braces between the factory verticles, it helped, but....
I do like it, but I would get anouther gate and maybe get it clearcoated if i couldn't find a trailer I liked better for a reasonalbe amount.