PDA

View Full Version : Cat to B2 or not

buzzyng
07-25-2008, 03:40 AM
Have been looking at the some track loaders and have the following:

2007 247B, cab enclosed, bucket & forks, 400 hours, I think there is still some warranty left on it

2008 247B2, cab open, bucket, 0 hours

The used machine is $2000 cheaper with the cab and forks but has the hours.

The cab isn't a big deal for us but I've heard that I should get the B2 models if I can.

Your thoughts?

mellowyellow
07-25-2008, 04:48 AM
buzzyng---First off, I am by no means an expert, but I just went thru the buying process myself. When looking at loaders it is kind of like looking at farm tractors, as far as hours go it is hard to judge a machine on hours alone. one with 1000 hours that has been treated like a family member and taken care of and maintained is better than a 400 hour machine that has never been looked at or serviced. Next decide how much you need a enclosed cab. I found a really good deal on a 277 untill I found it had no A/C. I cant even think about being in a small enclosed cab in 105 heat and no air cond. If you go for the open cab are you going to get soaked in rain or covered in snow?
I got on caterpillars website and started looking at used ones. I found that there is a huge price difference in different parts of the country. I found mine in North Carolina and had it shipped to the nearest dealer (94 miles) about eight thousand cheaper than I could have found one here(Okla).
All that being said, the main thing I looked at was the undercarrage. I seen machines with 300 hours that looked pretty sad. I guess the bottom line is decide for sure what you want then look around and dont get in a hurry, there are some good ones out there with a few hours on them. If the 247b has a good undercarrage on it and air and heat I would have to give it some serious thought. Hope this Helps a little bit. Good luck,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mellowyellow

mellowyellow
07-25-2008, 05:09 AM
wow, my long reply and I never answered your question about if you should get a b2 model. Im not even sure what the difference was but that being said I would decide for sure what options to get and then start looking,,,,,,, again, good luck,,, ,,,,,, ,,,,,, mellowyellow

bobcat_ron
07-25-2008, 07:57 PM
I swear I saw a B2 series on CatUsed.com, but they are a bigger improvement over the B's, I have looked through the parts manual and the exploded diagrams show where the changes were made from the B's, mainly to hose routings and valves and other little things.

qps
07-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Have been looking at the some track loaders and have the following:

2007 247B, cab enclosed, bucket & forks, 400 hours, I think there is still some warranty left on it

2008 247B2, cab open, bucket, 0 hours

The used machine is $2000 cheaper with the cab and forks but has the hours.

The cab isn't a big deal for us but I've heard that I should get the B2 models if I can.

Your thoughts?

Run from the 247B as fast as possible.....don't look back....B2...much better.....

ksss
07-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Run from the 247B as fast as possible.....don't look back....B2...much better.....

The difference only being 2K I would get the newer model anyway. Sounds like its a better machine as a bonus but the 2K spent now will come back at trade in or resale and plus your in CATs latest machine (such as it is).

buzzyng
07-26-2008, 03:42 AM
Thanks guys. I will stay away from the B model but maybe I can get Cat to come down just a wee bit more or maybe throw in some forks. I was hoping they would be more anxious to deal given the amount of machines I've seen at different dealers. I think I've gotten a fair price but having a hard time validating if I should push some more or not.

Anyway, appreciate the input on the used model.