PDA

View Full Version : Almost indestructible

Wet_Boots
07-25-2008, 07:56 AM
The head survived the cement truck, but the saddle tee and the poly pipe underneath did not.

Mike Leary
07-25-2008, 09:29 AM
It might have survived with a real swing joint. :p

Wet_Boots
07-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Swing joints weren't on the menu when that relic was installed. Marlex elbows were yet to be. One lesson learned a generation later - use a brass nipple to connect the brass popup, and the head can survive the cement trucks of the world. Another one on a poly cutoff nipple suffered a bent tailpiece.

irrig8r
07-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Is that a Buckner head?

Wet_Boots
07-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Is that a Buckner head?Good eye. I accidentally erased the good photo I took, but you might make out the Buckner name on the bottom, and the Royal Coach name on top.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Good eye. I accidentally erased the good photo I took, but you might make out the Buckner name on the bottom, and the Royal Coach name on top.

That is actually the worse brass head I've ever installed. It had o-rings on the stem and they would keep the head stems from having proper movement.

Wet_Boots
07-25-2008, 10:59 PM
That is actually the worse brass head I've ever installed. It had o-rings on the stem and they would keep the head stems from having proper movement.Au contraire - the Royal Coach head (created when Buckner was still owned by Johns Manville) was all brass, and stayed that way after they bought back the Buckner rights, and added the Buckner name and '403HP' part number to the head. The RC tailpiece had a shape that better allowed it to work with sch 80 nipples.

The W*M 33 popup body was all-brass, and good because of it, but sported an O-ring in its final days. Supposedly the production tooling had worn down, and they didn't want to pay to retool, so toss in the O-ring.

Mike Leary
07-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Is that a Buckner head?

How many of us have that slotted brass key to remove the body anymore?

Wet_Boots
07-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Don't we all have one? Buckner sold an iron head wrench that had an open-ended wrench-end that fit the Buckner nozzles.

Wonder if anyone still has Thompson spanner wrenches for their monster rotors.

Kiril
07-26-2008, 12:56 AM
How many of us have that slotted brass key to remove the body anymore?

Still have mine tucked away in the truck somewhere.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-26-2008, 06:40 AM
RC/buckner did make br. popups with o rings. Next time we replace one I'll get pics.

On top of that I was never a fan of brass nozzles with adjustment screws. Prefer those set pattern nozzles. Best brass head ever was the RB hipop. I put a couple in the truck recently removed for some pics.

Wet_Boots
07-26-2008, 08:20 AM
RC/buckner did make br. popups with o rings. Next time we replace one I'll get pics.

On top of that I was never a fan of brass nozzles with adjustment screws. Prefer those set pattern nozzles. Best brass head ever was the RB hipop. I put a couple in the truck recently removed for some pics.Maybe RC was trying to cover all the bases in the market, if they were also offering O-ring'd bodies (wonder if I have a catalog somewhere)

I'd like to find a few more popup bodies with the coarse nozzle threads. Ever see some of the Rain-o-Mat nozzles with top slots? One side is a standard half circle, and the other half covers a 4 by 24 strip with water spraying almost vertically, to water a bed next to the lawn.

Wet_Boots
08-07-2008, 09:57 PM

On top of that I was never a fan of brass nozzles with adjustment screws. Prefer those set pattern nozzles. Best brass head ever was the RB hipop. I put a couple in the truck recently removed for some pics.Found an old Royal Coach price list, and they showed both versions of the brass popup body. Same price, different part number. Only one body casting, as far as I can see, since the one in the photo is showing the number that applies to the O-ring version, even though the head is definitely all-brass.

As much as I liked the W*M popups, sometimes it was coarse-thread or nothing, since there were layouts that used square-pattern nozzles, which are items that have not survived into the present day.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-07-2008, 10:29 PM
nice pic boots..

::gasp::

bicmudpuppy
08-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Don't we all have one? Buckner sold an iron head wrench that had an open-ended wrench-end that fit the Buckner nozzles.

Wonder if anyone still has Thompson spanner wrenches for their monster rotors.

Not sure I ever had one.........BUT I did have a full set of large spanners back when I was pup on my first few golf courses. I used to make a good winter check rebuilding old 1360 gear drives. Got to keep the junk brass too. Used to net most of a 55 gallon drum full of casings and bent parts from mower damage.