PDA

View Full Version : got the green light....except...

600rrpilot
07-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Alright guys got the call this morning giving the go on a recently quoted project. its 1325 sq of driveway with an attached "patio". I dont have pics yet but heres the low down....Ive got a two car drive on the left side of the house. it narrows to one once it meets the house and it is a covered "car port"....which means difficult or no machine access.. behind that is a concrete pad i'll be taking up and replacing with pavers.

The homeowner asked if we could split the project and do half now and half in the spring. my question is....what would you do first....and why? the Driveway, or the car port/patio?

im thinking get the patio/car port out of the way first. so that A: i wont be running machines and stuff over the new paver drive.... and b: i dont have to deal with all that demo work first thing next season

ps: Im just gonna cut the asphalt at the agreed upon spot and lay right to it... and start from there in the spring.

Edgewater
07-25-2008, 08:42 PM
1) Make sure that they new that it will cost at least 20% more if you split it up.

2) Yes, always work from the back to the front if you can.

PlatinumLandCon
07-25-2008, 10:44 PM
1) Make sure that they new that it will cost at least 20% more if you split it up.

2) Yes, always work from the back to the front if you can.

+1. Don't run over a fresh driveway next spring if you can help it.

AztlanLC
07-27-2008, 08:45 AM
+1. Don't run over a fresh driveway next spring if you can help it.

If it was build right you can drive on it anytime

PlatinumLandCon
07-27-2008, 09:01 AM

Of course, but why run a skid over fresh pavers?

haybaler
07-27-2008, 09:59 AM

wrong. Residential pavers will be fine to drive a car on, but you would want municipal grade pavers to be driving heavy equipment on. I would work out some sort of financing with him and just do the whole job at once.

600rrpilot
07-30-2008, 01:50 PM
well...probably starting to demo the concrete this weekend. I'll find out tonight if im doing this all at once or in two parts, but i got him to agree with me that it would be smarter to complete the back portion first if he needs to split it. I dont want to be running skid tires or excavator tracks on pavers. I dont do financing. If he wants to finance it he can go to a bank :)

Junior M
07-30-2008, 02:22 PM
make sure to post some before, during, and after pics!!!

600rrpilot
08-01-2008, 09:22 AM
sure will. Got the go ahead for the entire project. we break ground tomorrow. im gonna have 45 yards of sub base to get rid of and now im having a problem finding somewhere to take it. wonderful.

600rrpilot
08-01-2008, 09:59 AM
edit: nevermind, found a quarry that will take it. 150 bucks a load. should have 2-3 tandems.

Now a question for you guys. The driveway will eliminate into the "patio" once it meets the house. I have an area of 15x36 ft that they are designating as a patio and will never see vehicle traffic as it will be blocked off by a fence. Anyway, Since I will only be excavating the patio 6-7 inches (4 inches of base, 1 inch of bedding, 2 3/8 paver) not 15 inches like I will be for the driveway (10 inches of base, 1 of bedding, and 2 3/8 paver) do you guys feel it is ok to step up the subsoil the 8 inches where the patio will begin? I will be using a geotextile under my base for the entire project, FYI. The 4x4 fence posts will be installed in concrete forms. btw. The edging of the drive will be Cambridge Curbstone set in concrete, and the patio will be be edged with plastic edging.

Tomorrow I hope to be complete with excavation, and sunday I will tamp the subsoil, and install the curbstone. Then Have the stone delivered during the week, and we should be laying pavers by next Saturday.